PDA

View Full Version : I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

runout1961
06-03-2003, 11:47 AM
Every wednseday here on base there are pool tournaments on bar boxes. These tournaments are not hard at all, but I get rediculously nervous. Even though in my mind I know I beat these people when we practice. I was wondering if any of you had any advice on pre-game preperations. What do you do before a tournament?
A1C John Ehle
Firefighter, USAF

PQQLK9
06-03-2003, 12:19 PM
Seeing that you are a Firefighter I would think that playing in a tournament
would be a piece of cake compared to putting out fires. I would suggest that you try to stay focused on the present (the shot you are shooting) as opposed
to the outcome of the tournament.
It also helps to hate the bastards you are playing against. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

DSAPOLIS
06-03-2003, 12:21 PM
John

Check your e-mail. Sent you some things.

SPetty
06-03-2003, 02:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> It also helps to hate the bastards you are playing against. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>No it doesn't. He's just kidding.

bluewolf
06-03-2003, 04:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> I would suggest that you try to stay focused on the present (the shot you are shooting) as opposed
to the outcome of the tournament.
<hr /></blockquote>

So right. Regardless of the sport, focus is everything!!

Laura

HalSmith
06-04-2003, 04:19 AM
I have found in bar box tournaments, tend to show up way too early. I would practice against everyone so much that when it came time to start the tournament I would slack off. If I just showed up played 2 games then started I would have all my focus for the rest of the night.----Smitty

Anonamus
06-04-2003, 06:27 AM
On the way to the tournament or while you are waiting to play try deep breathing. It will relax you and calm your nerves. While you are playing you must also remember to breathe normally.

Start by breathing in slowly and continue until your lungs are filled, then slowly breathe out and start over. If you do this for about 5 or 10 minutes it will make a difference.

The other thing you can do is train yourself not to worry about missing. Everyone misses. More than likely you will get another chance at the table so try not to put so much pressure on yourself.

Fred Agnir
06-04-2003, 06:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote runout1961:</font><hr> Every wednseday here on base there are pool tournaments on bar boxes. These tournaments are not hard at all, but I get rediculously nervous. Even though in my mind I know I beat these people when we practice. I was wondering if any of you had any advice on pre-game preperations. <hr /></blockquote>Sure. Stop convincing yourself that these tournaments aren't "hard at all" and that you know you can "beat these people when (you) practice." That way, when the nerves come (which they will), the nervousness is appropriate with the situation. And that makes it easier to deal with.

Fred &lt;~~~ thinks practice games has nothing to do with reality

cheesemouse
06-04-2003, 06:54 AM
run,
[ QUOTE ]
but I get rediculously nervous. <hr /></blockquote>

Nerves are not nessessarily a BAD thing, they may make you feel uncomfortable in the beginning but for some they are a sign that you are alert, interested and ready to GO. Play through it and hope that you are one of the lucky ones who thrive on that nerves feeling. Once you learn to except the nerves you can put them to good use and play your best pool using the nerves as an aid. JMHO..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

heater451
06-04-2003, 08:12 AM
http://sportsmedicine.about.com/library/weekly/aa010603a.htm

http://www.enhanced-performance.com/nideffer/articles/article2.html

===================

Qtec
06-04-2003, 08:18 AM
John,i have seen this many times.You are not alone. To solve the problem you have to go to the cause,treating the symptoms will not help.Its all about your state of mind when you play in these tournaments.
Because you are the better player and you beat these guys in practice, you go into the tournament thinking that you SHOULD win. This expectation is putting extra pressure on yourself .You start off playing NOT to lose.This is a NEGATIVE thought. You should always PLAY to win. This is a POSITIVE thought. The way you think is the way you play.
Think positive,
You play to win. you dont play NOT to lose.
You WANT to win. You dont EXPECT to win.
Just because you are the better player doesnt automatically mean you WILL win.
A good way to see it is like this.At the start of a frame,you both have half a point.You need his half point to win the the frame.How do you get it?

YOU TAKE IT .

KICK ASS !
Qtec

Eric.
06-04-2003, 11:52 AM
I found that deep breathing(vs. quick shallow breathes) and a consistant pre-shot routine can help. Here's another thought-when you practice, do you try and pretend you are in a match(and practice with the same intensity)? By doing this over time, you matches will seem a little less stressful because you are accustomed to playing at that same intensity level(the "don't miss" level). Maybe try drinking a pot of Espresso before practice to give you the same match jitters /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Now, I'm not promoting Drug Abuse, even though my title is Addict and I'm nothing but a tribute to drugs /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif(inside joke)

Either way, my personal experience is that the jitters only seem to get better over time. I think it is a matter of turning negative thoughts into positive nervous energy.

Eric &gt;loves Espresso

=k=
06-04-2003, 12:57 PM
i know this is right but the smoke at the pool hall doesn't allow me to do this.. i play really well early but as the night goes on the smoke gets heavier and i find myself gasping for air.. i can't seem to take a deep breath. some times i can't even talk.. choke up.. any suggestions on this?

PQQLK9
06-04-2003, 01:17 PM
Try this /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

http://www.gasmasksusa.com/images/vert_img_01.jpg

Anonamus
06-04-2003, 02:13 PM
Do your breathing excercises outside before you get there. The effects will last awhile. While you are playing you don't have to take deep breaths, just breath normally. Many people hold their breath when they are doing something stressful or concentrating hard.

If you can't even breath normally while your at the bar then you should consider playing somewhere else if possible.