PDA

View Full Version : Attention Atlanta area CCB readers/instruction

Scott Lee
03-28-2002, 12:29 AM
If you live in or near the Atlanta area and are interested in a lesson, I will be in the Atlanta area teaching next week (Apr. 3-8). Anyone looking for a lesson should email me, and I will contact you via email or phone.

Scott Lee

Tom_In_Cincy
03-28-2002, 12:32 AM
For those new to CCB. Scott Lee has been around since the cue balls were made of Ivory. I would be willing to pay just to hear his stories.

Scott is a very well known instructor and trick shot artist. He is very highly thought of in the Pool world.

03-28-2002, 01:03 AM
is this a newsgroup or a billboard?

enquiring minds want to know

03-28-2002, 01:31 AM
This is a FRIENDLY community where it's MEMBERS discuss many aspects of the pool world.

03-28-2002, 01:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> For those new to CCB. Scott Lee has been around since the cue balls were made of Ivory. I would be willing to pay just to hear his stories.

Scott is a very well known instructor and trick shot artist. He is very highly thought of in the Pool world. <hr></blockquote>

and he shares some of what he knows, here. unlike some others who just stop by to kvetch but don't offer much advice as the threads come and go.

dan

Rod
03-28-2002, 01:59 AM
"and he shares some of what he knows, here. unlike some others who just stop by to kvetch but don't offer much advice as the threads come and go."

Hum, I wonder whom that could be? wait he said other's!
Thanks dan, I learned me a new woid today. Ditto on Scott Lee.

Scott Lee
03-29-2002, 02:48 AM
Anonymous...just fyi, many people have contacted me asking to know when and if I was in their area, either to see my show, or get a lesson. This message is just a way to let those in the Atlanta area know I am available. However, they must email me to get involved. I do NOT need to sell myself here or anywhere else!

Scott Lee

03-30-2002, 04:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Scott Lee:</font><hr> Anonymous...just fyi, many people have contacted me asking to know when and if I was in their area

Why then may I ask didn't YOU email them personally?

, either to see my show, or get a lesson. This message is just a

pure case of solicitation

way to let those in the Atlanta area know I am available. However, they must email me to get involved. I do NOT need to sell myself here or anywhere else!

You evidently do need to sell yourself because your post was such a blatant and obvious ad.You said no one in particular,you wrote anybody.And you said nothing concerning your show,just lessons was mentioned.

TomBrooklyn
03-30-2002, 05:11 AM
Although the last time I talked to Scott he said he wasn't doing any shows in the NY Metro area; if that changes I would like to know about it. I am posting this on the board because I suspect there would be some general interest in attending.

jjinfla
03-30-2002, 07:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:

You evidently do need to sell yourself because your post was such a blatant and obvious ad.

<hr></blockquote>

If we, who register, don't mind when the pros/instructors tell us where they will be, then why should you, who doesn't register, care? In fact, we encourage them to post their info here. I sure would want to know when Scott is down here in Florida, near Ocala. Jake~~~just doesn't want to start looking at the CB last.

Rich R.
03-30-2002, 08:23 AM
I would also be interested if Scott was scheduling any shows and/or lessons in the Baltimore area.
Rich R.

03-30-2002, 09:36 AM
Kvetch? Hey, i resemble that remark! LOL

03-30-2002, 09:40 AM
I attended his show last thursday march 28,2002 at USC, South Carolina. What a true Gentleman!!! I skipped my class just to attend his show and I learn A LOT from him!!!

He is a very knowledgable advance instructor and knows how to pass his knowledge to the students. If you think you know everything about pool and pocket billiards, you'll be suprised what Mr. Scott Lee can teach you!!!

Thank you so much Mr. Scott Lee, and I'm sorry I couldn't joint you for breakfast with uncle Ron, a family emergency just came up.

Tom_In_Cincy
03-30-2002, 09:50 PM
Anonoymous, I think you may have got the message now.. you are not in a news group..where SPAMS are not allowed, but in the Pool and Billiards forum. Billiards Digest offers this forum to any and all, instructors, cue makers, tournament promoters, players, gamblers and even curious "anonymos" posters..

Troy
03-30-2002, 10:27 PM
"Anonymous" must not be very proud of him/herself since he/she hides behind anonymity....... /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif

03-31-2002, 12:56 AM
I don't think it's such a big deal to have to register.If I don't have to then it's my perogative huh?If you don't think that an 'anonymous' poster has any input then kindly skip over it.I don't mind nor do I care.

But in reality this is a newsgroup that certainly asks you not to solicit or post advertisments in BD's own writings.If everyone took to this method of asking indirectly or directly for your time and cash,it would get old and boring quick.

03-31-2002, 02:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Troy:</font><hr> "Anonymous" must not be very proud of him/herself since he/she hides behind anonymity....... /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif <hr></blockquote>

That couldn't be any farther from the truth Troy.

I just think that it's not necessary.

Start complaining (again) about this factor of the ccb if you feel the need.You're unhappy every where else you visit.

Welcome back

Ken
03-31-2002, 08:49 AM
Would you please inform me where in "BD's own writings" there is anything that prohibits the posting of information? Did you just make that up? Where is this prohibition regarding "advertisements".

Posts such as yours seem to be prohibited but perhaps I am missing something that you have found.
Ken

stickman
03-31-2002, 08:59 AM
I doubt anyone's ever coming to Parsons, Ks., but if you do, let me know. LOL

Scott Lee
03-31-2002, 10:11 AM
Anonymous...As you can tell from the replies to your post complaining about my "blatant solicitation", you are very obviously in the minority, and the only one complaining here. This forum is an opportunity to share information (for free), which I do all the time! There are MANY who visit here that are seeking not only information, but also an opportunity to get serious instruction. Since I am a "touring" instructor, who travels the whole country, I think people can benefit from being able to contact me about coming through their area. In the 3 years I have been posting here, I have NEVER before made a "solicitation" post, as you call it. However, with the multitude of PRIVATE responses I have gotten, I will continue to use this forum to provide pool instructional information at no cost, and no obligation. Those individuals that choose to contact me privately regarding personal instruction may continue to do so as well! I personally don't feel like this is anything like the other "spam" messages that have appeared on this board before, and others agree with me.

Scott Lee

Q-guy
03-31-2002, 11:58 AM
We have no idea which anonymous you are. Most people here don't post under their own names. Nothing wrong with that. But at least you know the history of the poster from past posts and know for the most part if you want to read their post. I don't think you have to register, just put something different where it says anonymous so we know it is you. I cant see any reason you would not want to do that. Don't say you don't care if anyone reads your post. You have posted four times to thread already, basically repeating yourself every time. You are desperate to be heard. Just as you think no one needs to read your post if they don't like it, you are free to read another board. Please don't bother responding to this unless you have something different or interesting to add, which I don't anticipate. That is about all I have to say on the subject, can't see any reason to post to this thread again.

03-31-2002, 12:20 PM
Mr. Lee,
Please continue to post the area you will be in, I would truly enjoy attending any function that you will be a part of. I respect your knowledge and enjoy the information you pass on. (Just another Anonymous) from central IL.

stickman
03-31-2002, 08:08 PM
Scott, thank you for the e-mail. I am as excited as a kid in a toy store. I truly hope we can coordinate a get together. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

04-02-2002, 03:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Ken:</font><hr> Would you please inform me where in "BD's own writings" there is anything that prohibits the posting of information? Did you just make that up? Where is this prohibition regarding "advertisements".

Posts such as yours seem to be prohibited but perhaps I am missing something that you have found.
Ken <hr></blockquote>

FAQ - what are the rules?

04-02-2002, 05:00 AM
Scott Lee has got to be one of the finest pool instuctors in the country. He has a simple way of teaching, which most everyone should be able to understand, and if followed, should help improve their games.
I attended his 4 hour instructional entertaining show at USC's Russell House given for the the students there. He had some of them pocketing balls and stroking with a correct bridge so quickly that you could see them improving their game and liking it within minutes.
Even for those of us who have been playing pool for years, his way of teaching brings new meaning to how the game is played. (I never realized how important is is to really UNDERSTAND the "diamond system" for banking and kicking balls until he showed it last week.)
I, for one, am sure that the 1-1/2 hour critique/instruction I received here in Columbia,SC from Scott on the following day of his show is going to make MY GAME improve considerably.
I HIGHLY recommend this man and his method of teaching on how to play the game of pool. And, I look forward to working with him again in the Fall.

Thanks Scott!

Ron Chapiesky in SC

Ken
04-02-2002, 08:20 AM
Thanks, I see they have mentioned advertising in the FAQ. It's not prohibited by the "Board Rules" so they have contradicted themselves. It's strange that they would have two sets of rules that aren't the same. I guess I should not have relied on "Board Rules" to obtain the board rules.

I notice that the rules in the FAQ only apply to registered users. I'm not sure that BD's own writngs have been well coordinated. It seems that the person who wrote the FAQ did not know the rules.

Scott's post can in no way be construed as advertising. He was transmitting information about his schedule to those persons who were already knowledgable about his services and have already decided to avail themselves of them. He was soliciting nothing.
Ken in CT

Q-guy
04-02-2002, 10:41 AM
"Scott's post can in no way be construed as advertising. He was transmitting information about his schedule to those persons who were already knowledgable about his services and have already decided to avail themselves of them. He was soliciting nothing."

I have only one problem with your post. I don't care if Mr. Lee posts something that could be construed as an ad. I am more concerned that you refuse to acknowledge it. If I read it correctly I don't think it could be understood really as anything else. It is a solicitation for private lessons on a board with a target audience. I am sure your defense of Mr. Lee was well meant and he may be a friend, but it must be based on honesty to be taken seriously. I said I had nothing to add to this thread in my only other post, buy I think honestly is important. Boards like this to be considered of value, the reader must have complete faith in the integrity of the writer.

Tom_In_Cincy
04-02-2002, 10:54 AM
Q-Guy
Seems like you and Ken have both extreems covered. Ads or solicitations in this forum may or may not be welcome. But, we always have the means to get them removed with a note to the webmaster. If you think it is warrented, please send a note to the webmaster to remove the post.

04-02-2002, 11:06 AM
I also had a lesson with Scott, (BEST MONEY I EVER SPENT) can't wait for him to be in town again.

Q-guy
04-02-2002, 01:16 PM
I am comfortable with Mr. Lee's post. There is a difference between his post and a billiard supply posting repeated spams on forums like this. The point of my post to Ken really had nothing to do with Mr. Lee's post. It had to do with honesty. I have gotten bad information from the Internet. Once in regard to fixing my transmission. If I had listened, I would have damaged it. Luckily someone emailed me to tell me the guy was wrong. When I posted asking why he had told me this. He admitted he know nothing about transmissions but took a guess. I think people should try to be honest in what they say. Whenever a question about what cue to buy comes up on here, (Like once a week) You would like to think the person answering, actually knows something about the cue they are indorsing. From what I read, most don't beyond having seen the cuemakers website. Most Internet information still has to be taken with a grain of salt. Even here.

Tom_In_Cincy
04-02-2002, 01:40 PM
All posters should qualify statements as "in my opinion" rather stating them as fact.. it is very misleading..
I agree about the honesty.. some people post, really thinking that what they are saying is a fact.. when in reality.. its just someone's opinion..

Ken
04-02-2002, 02:07 PM
I don't think Q-Guy and I are particularily at extremes. I admit that Scott's post would probably be construed as an ad by anyone who is not familiar with him. I have simply put a spin on it in a way that assumes things about what I believe to be his intentions. I'm really not in a position to know his intentions so I am just guessing, I suppose.

I do agree that it appears to be an ad and have no problem admitting that. However, I doubt that he was trying to reach people that don't know what he does. Since I have some idea of what he does I think he was simply providing information about his itinerary to those who might already be interested. The rules provide that the board be used to provide information.

To the extent that it is an ad it is a very bad one in that it does nothing to inform the potential customer of his credentials, his level of ability or even that he might be charging for his services. I don't see anything in the "ad" where he is trying to sell his services. He is just informing those who are already sold that he will be in Atlanta. I guess anything that mentions what he does for a living could be called an ad but for all the post says he might be another Hal Houle just giving his knowledge away.

I don't want to imply that I don't have some understanding of what Scott does. I just wanted to make it known that I don't think the post to be a fragrant attempt to sell something. I doubt that there is anyone in the Atlanta area who is at a loss as to where to get pool lessons. If I wanted lessons I wouldn't wait for Scott to show up but if I wanted lessons from Scott I would appreciate it if he informed me of when he might be around my area.
Ken

04-02-2002, 02:29 PM
Anonymous,

My personal feeling is that a person who freely contributes their knowledge and expertise at no charge through a forum such as this is more than welcome to post a quick advertisement. There is a HUGE difference between someone who earns the right to do so through contribution and someone who just posts advertisements without ever bothering to add constructive information to the forum. I for one feel that people like Scott Lee, Fran, Chris in NC and the other regular posters are more than welcome to post the occasional ad. Would it have been any different if he had said:

Hi everyone,
I am going to be in the Atlanta area on such and such date and would like to meet with any CCB'ers that are there.

SL

and then turned around and tried to sell anyone that showed up some lessons?

But yet the second post would have fit your criteria very well, regardless of the ulterior motive. I appreciate that Scott made it clear what he was doing rather than using bait and switch tactics as some have attempted in the past.

Bottom line: If you contribute to pool in any way shape or form, then this is the place to do so.

Jay M

04-02-2002, 02:29 PM
IMO I'd rather know where Scott Lee will be should I need his expertise than know what anyone thinks of how he lets me know.

Jay M
04-02-2002, 02:31 PM

04-04-2002, 03:21 AM
if Scott was comming to Vancouver I would greatly appreciate him posting it here as he does not have my email or probably know that I live in vancouver...how else am I to find out that hes comming so I can take advantage of it?

04-04-2002, 03:28 AM
absolutely.. if scott was selling pajamas I would tell him to hit the road.. but I come here to learn and talk about pool.. if someone out there thinks they have something I might want.. I WANT! to hear it

04-04-2002, 06:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: d0wnt0wn:</font><hr>...how else am I to find out that hes comming so I can take advantage of it?
<hr></blockquote>

Go to his website

04-04-2002, 11:09 AM
look man with no name you are obviously just posting on this thread to get a rise out of people here. Youre arguments have no basis whatsoever... you are totally in the minority... from me you will be ignored

04-04-2002, 12:45 PM
Scott if you ever plan on being in the western NY area I hope you will use this forum to let us know. I for one have no problem if you or any other knowledgeble instructor "advertises" his or her traveling schedule.

stickman
04-04-2002, 12:54 PM
Likewise here. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

04-04-2002, 03:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: d0wnt0wn:</font><hr> look man with no name you are obviously just posting on this thread to get a rise out of people here. Youre arguments have no basis whatsoever... you are totally in the minority... from me you will be ignored <hr></blockquote>

Go to his website

Scott Lee
04-04-2002, 07:28 PM
Thanks for mentioning it! To see it, go to www.talismanbilliards.com (http://www.talismanbilliards.com) and click on Billiard Instruction.
Look for some great new additions to my site, coming very soon!

Scott Lee

Scott Lee
04-04-2002, 07:30 PM
d0wnt0wn...I would consider coming to Vancouver this summer! Email me and we can talk details. Anyone else in the Pacific Northwest that might be interested in being on the schedule...email me. Thanks for your interest.

Scott Lee

04-05-2002, 03:51 AM
what is your email please Scott

Rich R.
04-05-2002, 06:13 AM
dOwntOwn, if you click on Scott's name, it will bring up his profile and you will find his email address there. Rich R.

Chris Cass
04-06-2002, 09:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Scott Lee:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; Anonymous...just fyi, many people have contacted me asking to know when and if I was in their area

Why then may I ask didn't YOU email them personally?

, either to see my show, or get a lesson. This message is just a

pure case of solicitation

way to let those in the Atlanta area know I am available. However, they must email me to get involved. I do NOT need to sell myself here or anywhere else!

You evidently do need to sell yourself because your post was such a blatant and obvious ad.You said no one in particular,you wrote anybody.And you said nothing concerning your show,just lessons was mentioned.

Hi A,

What would you say about a guy that drives 3 hrs. from Chicago after getting in from Montana the nite before, play 11 hrs with you adding his advice to you at no charge. Then, drive 3 hrs. back?

That has 100 universities he does trick shows at per yr. and offers time to instruct too? Geez, the guy makes 85K a yr just with the shows. Why would he give or even care to give lessons? It's not the doe. Why would he post here, giving his thougths on our problems for free?

I'm not trying to get in your face but if you love the game as much as I do then, you can look at Scott as a friend once you see what he's all about. He's a giver, not a taker.

So are, RandyG., Q-Guy, Fran Crimi, Mark Wilson, Jer from Blackheart Cues, Tony from Talisman and a slue(sp?) of other professionals that frequent this board. We need them here and have respect for all of them.

There is one thing I don't like about Scott though. He's got too much hair. He also has a devilish smile on his face when it's his turn to rack. LOL

Hopes this changes your mind a little,
C.C.~~a nobody.....

<hr></blockquote>

stickman
04-06-2002, 10:10 AM
Why doesn't Mr. Anonomous get on to Patrick for selling his autograph? LOL Too Funny

CC, I haven't meet Scott personally yet, but from the e-mail correspondence, he sounds exactly as you have described him. I very much look forward to meeting him in person. I am very thankful for his post, and as you said, to the other professionals who bother to post here and offer advice free of charge, I am thankful too.

Mr. Anonomous, I'm not sure why you are so offended, (professional jealousy?), but you are barking up the wrong tree. IMO

Scott Lee
04-06-2002, 01:23 PM
jimWNY...Email me about coming to western NY!

Scott Lee

preacherman
04-07-2002, 12:45 AM
Scott,
It was a pleasure to meet you and to learn from you.
I'm thankful for this post or our paths wouldn't have
crossed. Thanks again for making time for me and not
rushing to move on but instead spending quality time
with me and others. See you next time your in Atlanta area.

Jim (Preacherman)