PDA

View Full Version : Why is Allison so good ?

Qtec
06-03-2003, 10:28 PM
Anybody who has played pool and snooker knows that it is much more difficult to pot a ball on a snooker table, than it is on a pool table.
Here lies the difference.
To be able to play good snooker you have to have to learn the proper technique. Positioning the Qball is critical to making a break [run]. All snooker PROFs hit the ball in the SAME way. There is only one way. All PROFs aim the same way, [commonly known as the Ghost ball method,]also because its the only way.With this method you can pot any ball without knowing the angle. [The contact point and your aiming point are only the same when you are potting a straight ball.You are always aiming for the middle of the GB.] This method works on any table with any size balls, with any cue, thick or thin.The only thing that you have to be able to do is send the Qball in a straight line.This can only be achieved by hitting through the middle of the Qball[ no english]
The snooker player is basicaly FORCED to practice technique in order to pot balls.
Everbody wants to pot balls. Even an average player can clear 1 to 9 with a bit of luck and the balls are lying easy. When you start playing pool people are often very willing to give advice and from what i have read on this site,a typical example would be telling a beginer to use english to pot a ball. This is what i mean by the right information at the wrong time. It might help them pot a ball but it wont help them to shoot the Qball in a straight line The the chances are that the beginer will start using english on every pot.The consequence is that they cant position the Qball because they have to pot the ball in a certain way.
Back to the point. Why is she so good. You tell me.
Qtec

Sorry guys ,wrong forum....dont know how to switch it.

06-04-2003, 12:16 AM
she is my wife.

bluewolf
06-04-2003, 05:11 AM
I think that there are lots of reasons. A few that come to mind:

1 Being used to snooker, she is very good with the mechanical bridge.
2 Very consistant
3 Does not fold under pressure
4 Very good cueball control. Uses a lot of IE

I know that IE vs OE is contoversial. Just saying that her predominant use of IE appears to help her have tighter control over the cueball.

Laura

Ralph S.
06-04-2003, 06:55 AM
Why is A.F. so good? The answer simply put is very sound fundamentals. Her stroke, in particular is basically flawless.

Fred Agnir
06-04-2003, 06:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> Back to the point. Why is she so good. You tell me.<hr /></blockquote>Because she is a champion. Both she and Karen didn't automatically start to dominate. They both took "lessons" as it were in order to figure out how to play pool in addition to their championship snooker skill. They both have changed their stances, and have added things that aren't considered "snooker." That's what champions do.

Fred

Qtec
06-04-2003, 12:09 PM
I agree Fred . Just because you are a great potter, doesnt mean you can play great pool.Having great technique helps enormously,but you have to get to know the table and the tactics and the way you should play. All i,m saying is that its easier to switch from snooker to pool than the other way round and 9ball is perfect for snooker players . In womens snooker there is no one to touch her.
Qtec

Fred Agnir
06-04-2003, 12:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> In womens snooker there is no one to touch her.<hr /></blockquote>I spent a few hours one day with Ms. Fisher. She was telling me that she tried to play some snooker (this was after she'd been here and was well dominating the pool scene). She said that she had no interest in playing the game. It's boring compared to 9-ball. That's what it seemed she was saying. I'm sure Chris in NC can confirm or rebutt this.

So, a certain interest factor has to be there for a champion to make the switch. Snooker to pool seems to be a more exciting road compared to the opposite.

Incidentally, I'm a nobody, but I had a break in the 50's the first time I played snooker on a 12' table with tight ball/pocket ratio. So, for someone with a modicum of talent, century breaks for a good pool player isn't unfathomable.

Fred

Qtec
06-04-2003, 03:10 PM
Fred, if you can make 50, you can play.You cant just get lucky and make a 50. Just think how good you could be if you could aim properly. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif Believe it or not,i agree with a lot of what you say.
The reason Allison is playing pool now is mainly because she couldnt make a living playing snooker. No doubt about it though ,pool is more exiting. Allison knows that you cant switch between the two games and play both to a high standard. She,s a pool player now and she will improve.With her technique she will be around for a long time
Qtec