PDA

View Full Version : pool tables

06-04-2003, 11:24 AM
I am looking into buying a pool table from someone who doesn't know weather it is a nine foot or an eight foot table. It is broken down right now. The measurements are 3 pieces of slate... each piece is 3ft. x 4ft. 9in. Is it an eight or nine foot table? Thanks.

06-04-2003, 11:34 AM
Sounds like an 8' to me. 3 pieces of 3' slate equals 9', but part of that goes under the rails. So allowing for 6" under the rails at each end and 4.5" for each side, that leaves a playing area of 4' x 8'.

Nightstalker
06-04-2003, 11:51 AM
Yep, 8' sounds right to me also.

Fred Agnir
06-04-2003, 12:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nineballbabe:</font><hr> I am looking into buying a pool table from someone who doesn't know weather it is a nine foot or an eight foot table. It is broken down right now. The measurements are 3 pieces of slate... each piece is 3ft. x 4ft. 9in. Is it an eight or nine foot table? Thanks. <hr /></blockquote>My crack investigative team tells me that each piece of slate for a 9' Brunswick GCIV is 35 1/2" x 57". Your slate suggests a 9' table.

Remember, the playing surface length for a 9' table isn't 9'. It's 8' 4".

Fred

Nightstalker
06-04-2003, 12:21 PM
Ahhhh, good call there Fred.

06-04-2003, 01:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote nineballbabe:</font><hr> I am looking into buying a pool table from someone who doesn't know weather it is a nine foot or an eight foot table. It is broken down right now. The measurements are 3 pieces of slate... each piece is 3ft. x 4ft. 9in. Is it an eight or nine foot table? Thanks. <hr /></blockquote>My crack investigative team tells me that each piece of slate for a 9' Brunswick GCIV is 35 1/2" x 57". Your slate suggests a 9' table.

Remember, the playing surface length for a 9' table isn't 9'. It's 8' 4".

Fred <hr /></blockquote>Leave it to you, Fred. I hesitate to even open my mouth anymore, it's getting nicely stretched out to coincide with the size of my shoe for some reason. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Seriously, though, I thought playing area was measured from where the cloth meets the wood rail (or where the underside of the cushion meets the bed), and that was supposed to measure 8' for an 8' table, 9' for a 9' table. On my 8' Brunswick Avalon, I was pretty sure when the installers were installing it, the slate extended well beyond that point, and in fact the rail bolts THROUGH the slate. Thus my idea that a 9' table must have a bit more than 9' of slate...

Live and learn!

/me makes note to measure my 8' slate tonight

Rod
06-04-2003, 01:23 PM
Quite a team you have there Fred. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Lets see 3x3= 9 way more than a 8'. 4'9"= way more than a 4'x8'. I don't think it's an 8 footer either. LOL Good answer Fred as usual. I was going to answer but run the risk of sounding like a wise guy.

Rod

Fred Agnir
06-04-2003, 01:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmorris68:</font><hr> Seriously, though, I thought playing area was measured from where the cloth meets the wood rail (or where the underside of the cushion meets the bed), and that was supposed to measure 8' for an 8' table, 9' for a 9' table. <hr /></blockquote>According to Bob Jewett or Mike Shamos or both or either or neither... the significant measurement for 4.5 x 9 table is the 4.5, not the 9. It's the width of the cloth measured from where the cloth (on the cushion)meets the rail to the other side where the cloth meets the rail. That would mean that the cloth on the cushion should measure 2" from the nose of the cushion to where it touches the rail.

Wei Grey Egg Table (http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/9egg/)

START(
%AN7O5%BL8P7%CJ7O4%DL8N2%EM7P1%FK7P1%GK7N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%JK8M6
%KJ7P7%LJ7N2%MK7Q3%NJ7Q9%OJ7M0%Pg9V9%Wc8[9%Xc6B4
)END

The playing area is usually measured from nose to nose. On a 4.5 x 9, that's a 50" x 100" playing area, according to standard specifications.

Fred

Ken
06-04-2003, 01:46 PM
Surely a nine foot table as Fred has explained. Here is a site selling slate and the second from the bottom size corresponds to what you and Fred have measured:

http://www.ardesit.it/billiard2.htm#billiard

The larger size is for the 10 foot table. The distance from nose to nose being 50 inches you should be able to place two rails in the position they bolt through and measure that 50 inches.

My table has smaller slates since the rails bolt from the outsides not from the top. Still the width is 54 1/4 inches leaving about 2 inches underneath the cushions.

The slate sold by Ardesit is 35 2/3 inches by 57 inches for the 9 foot size. Very close to your sizes.
KenCT

PQQLK9
06-04-2003, 02:02 PM
I agree with Fred but you could measure the short rail to be extra sure.

06-04-2003, 02:19 PM
Thanks alot guys. I appreciate the input.