PDA

View Full Version : Stop One League Night Or Both?

Sid_Vicious
06-04-2003, 03:07 PM
Found out that I'll be losing 20% of the salary for three months soon, so the question is...do I halt just the Monday night league or both of my league obligations scheduled to begin this week? My inclination is to save the Thursday league since I'll be off on Friday(4-day week now), and yet the reality of that short of a check especially in this sour economy's outlook, maybe says, "Sid, go into league hibernation and play an occasional tournament, you can't afford it." One more downer from GWB's lack luster economic improvement plan, I can see now why his entire economic team has bailed on him :-( sid

pooljunkie73
06-04-2003, 03:34 PM
Sid it sucks your'e losing 20%.If it was me,i would drop the legues and go with the tourney's.At least you have a chance to win money in the tourney's. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

bluewolf
06-04-2003, 06:31 PM
Sid,

I am sorry about your job. As far as league or no league, you have to know yourself.To compete in one league here would cost me about $28 per month. Now I can say to the cows come home that I can compete in the ocasional tournament.As much as i do not like about the APA, I know that I would get lazy and not get to those tournaments and without the motivation of not wanting to look TOO bad at league, my practice would really suffer.But then I have a table in my house, so no table fees.

That is what I mean about knowing yourself. knowing if you WOULD go to those ocasional tournaments. Also if you have enough money to be in one league, but if you aint got it you aint got it.

Laura

Sid_Vicious
06-04-2003, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the input, I've alerted the Thursday group that I could become a 3rd week sub if things get tough, and yet I've pretty much decided that I can handle that league night since I'll be in town anyway. Mondays would have meant I'd have to purposely drive 45-60 minutes one way just to play, cost prohibitive. Besides, the Thurs. league keeps me in my familiar house, with "people who know my name" as "Cheers" would put it ;-))) sid

Wally_in_Cincy
06-05-2003, 06:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Found out that I'll be losing 20% of the salary for three months soon, ...... <hr /></blockquote>

So that tax cut is looking like a pretty good idea right about now? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally~~spends way too much on stupid leagues /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sid_Vicious
06-05-2003, 07:18 AM
Oh yea, my GW tax kickback before the 32 hour cutback in salary was a whopping $40 a MONTH of take home. Now I'll get $32, + or - a buck or two...sid~~~hopefully you were being sarcastic, cuz I definitely am

Ralph S.
06-05-2003, 07:43 AM
Just out of curiosity Sid, what line of work are you in? If you dont want to respond I understand. On a humerous note though, you could set up a website like Sarky did. I would much rather give my dollar to you than him. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan
06-05-2003, 07:50 AM
Well, you're in the same boat as I, leagues and pay cuts. My personal opinion is that league participation actually saves me money, particularly since I don't have a home table.

Paying $10 a week in league dues gets us free pool 'til 2 am 5 days a week, and free pool 'til 8 pm on Friday and Saturday. That's for our BCA league. I'd run up more than a $10 table tab in just part of one afternoon.

I do think I'll drop out of VNEA though, it's the most expensive league I play ($10 a week plus coin tables!) and no side benefits. APA I'll keep because our sponsor pays all our dues and also I have to stay active since I went to the trouble of qualifying for the state tourney in October.

But, the recent loss of 20% in pay may give me additional incentive to try to sell that expensive new cue that isn't helping my game ....

SpiderMan

eg8r
06-05-2003, 08:39 AM
Well, now your $40 extra will be swallowed up by the 20%shortage in pay. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
One more downer from GWB's lack luster economic improvement plan, I can see now why his entire economic team has bailed on him :-( sid <hr /></blockquote>

You never stated why they were cutting back but you blamed it on W. What happened if you don't mind my asking? I find it hard to believe that your boss cut hours because there would be less tax charged to the employees, or that the employees would be less taxed on the dividends he offers. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif What exactly do you think would have been different is Bush's tax plan did not go through?

Sorry about losing the pay and I would suggest you quit both leagues. This is wasted money. Since the money will be tight, no sense in adding extra weight to it.

eg8r

SPetty
06-05-2003, 11:18 AM
This is the pool forum, boys. If you're gonna get into that tax crap again, please take it on over to the Non-Pool-Related forum. I'm sure we'd all appreciate it.

eg8r
06-05-2003, 12:26 PM
Oh no you don't. I made my post "Pool-Related" with the last paragraph. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Sid_Vicious
06-05-2003, 12:47 PM
I knew eg8r was gonna do that SPetty, so I didn't even read his answer knowing where it was headed. Aren't you proud of ol Sid.

Bad eg8r, BAD eg8r! ;-)

jjinfla
06-07-2003, 07:34 AM
Sid, I have to wonder if your company is falling on hard times and rather than just out and out lay off their employees they have cut their hours. But if that doesn't work the company may then resort to layoffs and possibly go out of business. So if I was you I would cease all pool leagues until I saved up enough of a nest egg to last me 6 months if I lost my job. And start looking for a new job. Maybe play the occasional tournament. Sit down and figure out how much you spend every week playing pool and then put yourself on a budget where you limit yourself to how much you can afford to spend. Or you can continue playing pool spending $50 a night plus what you lose gambling and blame it all on President Bush. Yeah, that's what I would do. Jake