PDA

View Full Version : What tip do you use for your shooting cue?

Nightstalker
06-04-2003, 04:25 PM
I found out that polls are only allowed by moderators and admins. Let me know which tip you people use for your shooting cue. I am just curious as to which ones are popular. <font color="blue">Also, what do you like/dislike about it? Thanks!</font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

HalSmith
06-04-2003, 04:29 PM
Triangle

06-04-2003, 04:49 PM
I shot with LePro's up until about 6-7 months ago, when I had Hercules Medium layered tips installed on 2 of my shafts. I like the way they hold chalk and hit, supposedly about the same as a Talisman. Haven't tried a Talisman yet, but I do have a Talisman WB in my bag just waiting for a tip to fail so I can try it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SpiderMan
06-04-2003, 05:04 PM
I like the Triangle. For me, it's a great all-around tip with a near-ideal compromise between holding crown and holding chalk.

For my break cue, I use a brown WB (noticeably denser than the black WB) cut down to about 1/3 sidewall and a flatter crown (about a quarter radius).

SpiderMan

eg8r
06-04-2003, 05:22 PM
Meucci cue (2 shafts) - Talisman Pro Medium on one shaft, and Talisman WB Hard on the other shaft.

Bunjee Jump/Break - One Bunjee tip.

eg8r

jbullerjr
06-04-2003, 05:25 PM
HARD Triangle on the shooter. Tried the layered tips just don't like the feel.

Found some old McD tips that are like marbles for the b/j.
The first one last over 3 years and was almost the same hieght as it was when I put it on. I had to replace it when it BROKE, I have never seen a tip break in half b4. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

J.

Rod
06-04-2003, 05:41 PM
WB, it feels good and holds chalk well. Dis-likes well none really. It has miscued a couple of times, me thinks it had to do with the shooter.

Rod

Sid_Vicious
06-04-2003, 06:11 PM
I like HARD tips and have several different tips on different shafts. The black WB tips all work perfectly, and yet I have a favorite in a Sumo which has been pressed and laquer coated. I also have an X-hard Talisman I put on a Heubler SP cue which hops up and plays well for me. All said, if I had the source I'd use the treated Sumos(WIP), BUT the black WB tips are certainly a trustworthy tip for me. Hope this helps...sid~~~no complaints in any of them, if I miscue, I fix ME, not chew on the tip ;-)

SecaucusFats
06-04-2003, 07:13 PM
I use Hercules Medium for shooting, and Hercules Hard for breaking. Over the years I've tried Le Pros, Triangles, Chandiverts. IMO Hercules tops them all.

Fats

cycopath
06-04-2003, 08:30 PM
Triangle.

Chalks Billiards
06-04-2003, 08:36 PM
I use Triangle on both my shooting cue and my break/jump cue.

Predator314
06-04-2003, 10:41 PM
I have Moori's on both my playing and breaking cue.

I usually use triangles, but the break cue came with one and I got a few from Barringer's $7.50 deal. I have no complaints with them.

9 Ball Girl
06-04-2003, 11:08 PM
I removed my LePro from my Viking and put on a Moori. I love it.

pooljunkie73
06-05-2003, 05:36 AM
Triangle on my shooting cue,LePro on break cue /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

pooltchr
06-05-2003, 06:03 AM
Up until last week, WB on both cues. Last week the WB on my shooting cue split/broke on me. I had one of the tiger laminated tips someone had given me so decided to try it. The jury is still out on that one, but I still have a good supply of WB's in the tool box, just in case.

Fred Agnir
06-05-2003, 07:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nightstalker:</font><hr> Let me know which tip you people use for your shooting cue. <hr /></blockquote>There's a search feature on the Main Forum and the Archives, in case you didn't know. I think the last time we discussed tips was just last week.

Fred &lt;~~~ Triangle on fiber pad

Ralph S.
06-05-2003, 07:37 AM
Recently swittched to Talisman mediums from Lepro. I really like the Talisman. This is the shooter BTW.

My break cue sports a WB hard.

SpiderMan
06-05-2003, 07:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SecaucusFats:</font><hr> I use Hercules Medium for shooting, and Hercules Hard for breaking. Over the years I've tried Le Pros, Triangles, Chandiverts. IMO Hercules tops them all.

Fats <hr /></blockquote>

Fats,

In your observation over the years, did you find Hercules to really be 20+ layers as advertised? I ask because I recently purchased some Hercules mediums and they were only 11 layers.

Additionally, they could not be visually distinguished from Talisman, even the color of the ink and font of the markings. The salesperson at Atlas Billiards informed me that "that's what the 'new' Hercules tips look like". I had not used Hercules before, so I don't have any old ones for comparison, but do you think the new ones are as good?

SpiderMan

Nightstalker
06-05-2003, 08:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nightstalker:</font><hr> Let me know which tip you people use for your shooting cue. <hr /></blockquote>There's a search feature on the Main Forum and the Archives, in case you didn't know. I think the last time we discussed tips was just last week.

Fred &lt;~~~ Triangle on fiber pad <hr /></blockquote>
Fred, I know about cbb etiquette so yes before I posted this I did a search with different terms/phrases and did not find what I was looking for. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Pizza Bob
06-05-2003, 08:39 AM
Moori - MH in the old style, M in the new, with fiber backers.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

HalSmith
06-05-2003, 08:44 AM
Had a Tiger on at one time found it to be ok. In fact I think it's still on my Shon.---Smitty

Deeman
06-05-2003, 08:59 AM
WB

WesK
06-05-2003, 09:25 AM
Talisman PRO XH, currently.

Also have and use:

Talisman PRO Soft and Medium.
Moori MH on all of my 314 shafts.

heater451
06-05-2003, 09:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I like HARD tips and have several different tips on different shafts.<hr /></blockquote>Sid, do you tend to hid soft and shoot methodically? Or, do you shoot with 1 tip of spin or less?

I've always heard that harder tips give more spin, but I find that they go shiny fast, and start miscuing. I'm beginning to wonder if hitting hard is just packing the tip down too quickly. . . .

I prefer medium to med-hard tips, although I have hit with an extremely soft tip, and I liked how it played (some guy in a bar told me to try it--It was a new cue, and he didn't really like it).

=========================

pooldaddy9
06-05-2003, 11:14 AM
Use to be LePro but now definitely Triangle.

Nightstalker
06-05-2003, 01:17 PM
Right now I have a LePro, which came standard on my Fury NR-1. I bought a Moori, and will have that installed probably some time next week. Can anyone tell me the difference they have noticed in the play between the two tips? I have heard to expect more spin, is this correct? Any other differences in feel, etc? Thank you! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

UWPoolGod
06-05-2003, 02:20 PM
I just put a Moori on my playing cue and from playing an hour with it the other day I can tell it gets more spin. Cue ball grabs more off the tip. Have to get used to it. Gets a little more throw than my old LePro.

stickman
06-05-2003, 02:36 PM
I like hard tips. The best one I've tried is the Talisman Water Buffalo. All I ever need to do with it is keep it chalked. It has very good grip and holds it's shape. For a non layered tip, I like the Sumo Water Buffalo. You have to scuff it from time to time, and I find that I can't stray away from center too far or I will miscue, but once you are used to it, it plays well. I don't shoot hard a lot, but I do break with my playing cue.

06-05-2003, 02:56 PM
I've been using Triangle, considering that as far as english goes, too much gets me in more trouble than not enough. May consider other hard tips, though. But fairly happy with it ... no shortage of juice on the ball, and nothing unwanted on it, either.

Sid_Vicious
06-05-2003, 04:51 PM
Frankly speaking, I don't let the tip position or the speed of the hit enter into it after getting into the game, extreme outside spin shots, I don't care, give'm to me, I'll chalk well and hit the shot. As far as a shiney tip...I just chalk it, that's all you need. I'm in the minority here, but I never scuff or pic a tip, I don't care how bald and shiney it becomes.

I'm lucky enough to have a home table, and at one period I had a routine of hitting balls and using no chalk. If I miscued, I'd set it back up and bring in my tip closer to center and iterate this process until I stayed on the CB and made the OB ball, AND moving the CB basically where I wanted it. I haven't worked that off the wall drill in a while, but it'll make a heck of a difference on how you stroke with a hard tip.

Thanks for the question, I'm going to begin that dry tip routine again now that I've been reminded of it. I have been guilty of an occassional miscue lately, this'll fix that...sid

SecaucusFats
06-05-2003, 09:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SecaucusFats:</font><hr> I use Hercules Medium for shooting, and Hercules Hard for breaking. Over the years I've tried Le Pros, Triangles, Chandiverts. IMO Hercules tops them all.

Fats <hr /></blockquote>

Fats,

In your observation over the years, did you find Hercules to really be 20+ layers as advertised? I ask because I recently purchased some Hercules mediums and they were only 11 layers.

Additionally, they could not be visually distinguished from Talisman, even the color of the ink and font of the markings. The salesperson at Atlas Billiards informed me that "that's what the 'new' Hercules tips look like". I had not used Hercules before, so I don't have any old ones for comparison, but do you think the new ones are as good?

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

I get them from Atlas Billiard Supply and they still describe them as 23 layer tips, I haven't seen a 'new' Hercules with 11 layers (hmmm..), so I can't comment on their playability. But I gotta tell you the ones I have used are excellent. They hold their shape and don't mushroom, they don't require constant attention and they hold the chalk really well. The feedback through the tip is reassuring, and if you like to spin your rock, the Hercules tips are more than up to the task. I can get all the way out to the very edge when I have to, and not have to worry about a miscue. (Except for when I'm drunk, or forgot to chalk, or both. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

Wally_in_Cincy
06-06-2003, 06:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote heater451:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I like HARD tips and have several different tips on different shafts.<hr /></blockquote>Sid, do you tend to hid soft and shoot methodically? Or, do you shoot with 1 tip of spin or less?

I've always heard that harder tips give more spin, but I find that they go shiny fast, and start miscuing. I'm beginning to wonder if hitting hard is just packing the tip down too quickly. . . .

I prefer medium to med-hard tips, although I have hit with an extremely soft tip, and I liked how it played (some guy in a bar told me to try it--It was a new cue, and he didn't really like it).

========================= <hr /></blockquote>

I may get beat up for this but I don't like hard tips. I put a layered tip on about a year ago. It was fairly hard. I couldn't make a freakin' ball. After 2 hours of practice I took it back up front and had them put a LePro back on /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I now use Elk Masters. They're pretty soft but they rarely need scuffing, they hold chalk well and I like the feel.

LePros and Triangles are OK too but are inconsistent in hardness as has been stated here before.

Personal preference I guess.

cheesemouse
06-06-2003, 06:41 AM
Wally,
We are kindred spirits in the tip department...give me soft, give me cheap and let me peel my onion....not an equiptment kind of guy...can still play off the wall.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

heater451
06-06-2003, 10:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> . . .I'm lucky enough to have a home table, and at one period I had a routine of hitting balls and using no chalk. If I miscued, I'd set it back up and bring in my tip closer to center and iterate this process until I stayed on the CB and made the OB ball, AND moving the CB basically where I wanted it. I haven't worked that off the wall drill in a while, but it'll make a heck of a difference on how you stroke with a hard tip. . . .<hr /></blockquote>I remember you bringing up the 'no chalk' routine several months ago--I've practiced a little that way, because of it.

I was doing it, to try to break my "english habit"--it's like a drug that can't stop using!

Anyway, it forces me to shoot centerball.

=====================

SpiderMan
06-06-2003, 11:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SecaucusFats:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SecaucusFats:</font><hr> I use Hercules Medium for shooting, and Hercules Hard for breaking. Over the years I've tried Le Pros, Triangles, Chandiverts. IMO Hercules tops them all.

Fats <hr /></blockquote>

Fats,

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

I get them from Atlas Billiard Supply and they still describe them as 23 layer tips, I haven't seen a 'new' Hercules with 11 layers (hmmm..), so I can't comment on their playability. But I gotta tell you the ones I have used are excellent. They hold their shape and don't mushroom, they don't require constant attention and they hold the chalk really well. The feedback through the tip is reassuring, and if you like to spin your rock, the Hercules tips are more than up to the task. I can get all the way out to the very edge when I have to, and not have to worry about a miscue. (Except for when I'm drunk, or forgot to chalk, or both. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif) <hr /></blockquote>

Yes, all the literature I see describes Hercules as 23 layers. But if you look at what I'm getting from Atlas today, it's only 11 layers.

I guess if you counted 11 layers of leather, 10 layers of glue between them, and a layer of varnish on top and bottom you'd get 23 /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

No reason to pay $1 extra for this "new" Hercules over a Talisman, under a microscope you can't tell them apart. Looks like they come out of the same popcorn machine.

SpiderMan

Michelle
06-06-2003, 01:23 PM
Moori M

Nightstalker
06-07-2003, 12:38 PM
*bump*

MikeM
06-07-2003, 07:54 PM
Moori M or MH.

MM