PDA

View Full Version : Do you still play when your opponent leaves?

UTAddb
06-04-2003, 09:01 PM
I'll be playing in a tournament, and my opponent will mysteriously walk off to buy a beer or go to the bathroom. What the hell am I supposed to do? They don't say a thing!

Nightstalker
06-04-2003, 09:02 PM
I would play on, if they need to know what is going on in the game then they should decide to hang around while it is going on. If they ask that I hold on while they run to pee or something, I don't have a problem with that if they move quickly.

Sparky
06-04-2003, 09:14 PM
In a tournament, if they want to go do something else then force them to use a timeout. If that is how they want to waste it, let them waste it that way. In normal play, if they want to walk away from the table just keep on playing. If they have no idea what's going on when they come back, oh well...too bad for them! They should have waited until the game was over. Hell, put the 8-Ball in the pocket with your hand or something and tell them they lost. Make sure you do it when no one else is looking. If you do that, then they won't be on the table any more. You can play someone else that is serious about playing.

"Sparky"

L.S. Dennis
06-04-2003, 09:21 PM
Actually the proper way of doing this is to go to the bathroom when it YOUR turn at the table. I believe this is the accepted method.

UTAddb
06-04-2003, 11:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sparky:</font><hr> In a tournament, if they want to go do something else then force them to use a timeout. If that is how they want to waste it, let them waste it that way.
"Sparky" <hr /></blockquote>
It's just a local informal thing so there aren't really designated timeouts.

Qtec
06-05-2003, 04:51 AM
What you want to do is wait, dont shoot. When the guy comes back, YOU go get a beer or whatever.If he has to wait for you he will get the point.!!
Qtec

smoothstroke
06-05-2003, 05:30 AM
I continue to play, if I foul, I place the cb on the chalk on the side rail, or tell my opponient he has ball in hand when he returns. Where I play we call our own fouls, even if not observed by the other player. We call that integerty, like golf, you should always respect the game...

cheesemouse
06-05-2003, 05:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UTAddb:</font><hr> I'll be playing in a tournament, and my opponent will mysteriously walk off to buy a beer or go to the bathroom. What the hell am I supposed to do? They don't say a thing! <hr /></blockquote>

This issue can be covered in the players meeting before the event begins, it can be a problem in large field tournaments where the matches are kind of on a schedule. In most of the events I've played on it is understood that each player is allowed one five minute restroom break per match. Most players don't treat this as a hard and fast rule but if some one abuses it then it can have an effect on the outcome of the match...in casual play I continue to shoot when they leave to playing area, this doesn't bother me and if it bothers the other guy that's his/her problem... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

pooltchr
06-05-2003, 06:17 AM
Are we talking 9-Ball here? The average 9-ball game lasts, what, maybe 5 minutes??? The obvious solution is to take breaks between games if necessary. But it they just walk away in the middle of a game, I shoot until I miss, and then I sit back and wait. I don't recommend walking away yourself as you might find yourself racking when you return without any knowledge of how you "lost".

eg8r
06-05-2003, 06:27 AM
If it is my shot, I continue playing. They can leave all they want but it is there fault if they do not see what happened. I will also say that I am not a cheater, so if I foul I let them know when they come back (whether they ask or not).

eg8r

SpiderMan
06-05-2003, 08:06 AM
It's a fairly common shark, sometimes referred to as the "bathroom shot". Think about it, how many times do you actually run out with your opponent not present, versus the number of times he returns to an easy out or ball-in-hand? Cheaters use this subtle shark to break your concentration.

SpiderMan

Tom_In_Cincy
06-05-2003, 08:52 AM
I usually don't pay attention to what my opponent is doing while they are NOT shooting.

I continue to shoot unless my opponent asks for a REF or 3rd party to call a shot.

If my opponent wants to leave while its my turn at the table and tells me they are going to the bathroom, and "go ahead and shoot", I usually don't shoot. I wait until they return.

If the don't tell me they left and I continue to shoot, either they return and I am still shooting, or, have missed and its their turn, or they need to rack. Usually they don't ask any questions.

Qtec
06-05-2003, 09:58 AM
You are a wonderful human being .I wish i was . /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Qtec

Wally_in_Cincy
06-05-2003, 10:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> You are a wonderful human being .I wish i was . /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Qtec <hr /></blockquote>

dammit....will you please quit stalking him /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Qtec
06-05-2003, 10:09 AM
NO. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Qtec

pooldaddy9
06-05-2003, 11:10 AM
I do the same. I will keep shooting or sometimes ask if they want me to wait or shoot. So long as it doesn't happen every game or so. I will tell them if I fouled or missed when they get back. I usually play better when they are watching.

NBC-BOB
06-05-2003, 11:30 AM
If I'm playing a game with someone I know, then it's not a problem.I watched one local player who was pretty good, and when his opponent walked off to the mens room,I saw him miss and then keep shooting.Well I use to play this guy and we'd play for the time plus $5 or 10. Sure makes me wonder if he ever did this to me ha-ha.Now my lesson was learned and if I have to step away from the table,I wait until it's my turn to shoot,excuse myself,and lay my cue on the table!

cuechick
06-06-2003, 08:12 AM
This just happened to me in a money game, hill hill , he misses the 6 and walks away when I get up to shoot. Of course I miss, and then have to wait what seemed an eternity, till he gets back and then runs out, a ridiculous out of line run out. I was so mad, I just told him before the next set, I felt, it was sharking. He swore that was not his intent and I believe him. He is just one of these clueless guys with poor pool etiquette. I explained, that I just expect the same respect from my opponant as I give, and to wait till between racks to get a beer...I killed him in the next set.
Some peps need to be educated and I know he won't do it again...but this is exactly why he is not one of my favorite games.
I play this guy, just to practice playing people who rub me the wrong way (which happens to be quite a few...) there is value in practice with almost any opponant if you look at it the right way.
I felt at the time, it seemed like a no win situation; if I sat and waited, I probably would have been so mad, I still would have missed. Now, I think in the future, if some one pulls that shark, I'll lay my pool cue on the table and take a nice long bathroom break.

In a tounament sitiuation, it is good to define the rules on this in the players meeting, as someone else suggested. Some rules say you can only take a break between racks and only when it is YOUR turn to break, others are far less strict. You just need to know, some may reward you ball in hand for that conduct; but it is always your responsiblity to know the rules.

PoolChick02
06-06-2003, 10:33 PM
Well, if they walk off during the match then keep playing if it is still your turn, they probably trust your judgement. It really depends who you are playing. See, if the person is known for this then do it back to them. Also, if they tend to accuse of "foul play" or say you are not waiting for them, then you dont want to start a dumb argument.&gt;(I've seen it happen tons of times). Anyhow, I think both players should do whatever they need to do before the match or in between games.

Fran Crimi
06-07-2003, 05:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UTAddb:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sparky:</font><hr> In a tournament, if they want to go do something else then force them to use a timeout. If that is how they want to waste it, let them waste it that way.
"Sparky" <hr /></blockquote>

It's just a local informal thing so there aren't really designated timeouts. <hr /></blockquote>

There's no such thing as an "informal" tournament. Bug the tournament director until he or she allows only one time out per match and it has to be between racks. Then you can at least practice while your opponent is gone. If they know you're hitting balls while they're gone, they won't be gone too long.

That kind of behavior of leaving in the middle of a rack is absolutely unacceptable in any form of competition. Don't let them get away with that. Fight for your rights.

Fran

hadenball
06-07-2003, 08:55 AM
I treat it just like they conceded the match. I've had friends that would walk away to sing karaoke, even though they told me they were gonna sing when they came back I was playing the next player.If it's a tournament!!!!!!!Sorry for your bad luck you lost.If you tell me you have to go then fine, but it should be on your shot.