PDA

View Full Version : Any opinions on switching cues?

CarolNYC
06-05-2003, 04:00 AM
For the past 3 years I've played with a Helmstetter and last week picked up the Meucci-Ive been playing with the Meucci everyday and like it!My question is:
With only 2 weeks to go, would you go into a tournament with the new cue or old one?
Have a great day!
Carol:):):)

Qtec
06-05-2003, 04:41 AM
This is a tricky one . If you like the new cue ,i would advise you to get rid of the old one.Then you wouldnt have this problem .You should really stop playing comp. till you are confident with the new one. The fact that you are unsure about which cue to use, indicate,s to me that you have not yet made your mind up.
I personally would not want to go into a tournament thinking about my cue.It all depends on you.
So
Confident = use it.
Not confident = put the new one back in the case and get it out after the tournament.
Qtec

bluewolf
06-05-2003, 05:41 AM
Carol,

I have seen your ranking and you are obviously doing superb. If it were me, I would play with the cue you are used to, especially since it is obvious that you have been doing well with that cue.

I would put up the meucci until you have enough time in between tournaments to feel that you are used to it.

Laura

pooltchr
06-05-2003, 06:08 AM
That's quite a change from the Helmstetter to the Meucci. If you can adjust to that Meucci shaft, I say shoot with what feels good. (Personally, I can't deal with the flexibility in the Meucci's, but if we all liked the same things, there wouldn't be so many to choose from)

Eric.
06-05-2003, 10:14 AM
IMO, I wouldn't switch just before a tourney. I'm guessing that you play constantly, your best bet would be to gradually switch. Maybe start using the Meucci a few days a week until you "phase out" the Helmstetter?

Eric

Cueless Joey
06-05-2003, 10:32 AM
Imo nobody should play with a Meucci.
But, that's me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

UTAddb
06-05-2003, 10:59 AM
If you think you shoot better with the meucci, then go with it.

CarolNYC
06-05-2003, 11:15 AM
Thank you all for your opinion!Your going to find this quite silly,but, the fact that I do NOT feel the wrap is bothersome,or should I say unusual-I'll take everyones opinion to heart-Im sure I'll get over my little quirks,ha ha ha ha-when it feels good, I'll use it!
Thanks again!

cycopath
06-05-2003, 11:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> Imo nobody should play with a Meucci.
But, that's me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>Yeah, it'll make you play like sh!t. You know like Jim Rempe, Loree Jon Jones and Shannon Daulton.

CarolNYC
06-05-2003, 11:25 AM
Ha Ha HA HA,
Carol:):):):)

Rod
06-05-2003, 11:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Your going to find this quite silly,but, the fact that I do NOT feel the wrap is bothersome,or should I say unusual <hr /></blockquote>

Not at all Carol, if it doesn't have a wrap it would feel strange to me also. I know there is a wrap under the finish but it doesn't help if you can not feel the texture.

I'd say after hearing that you should definately put it away before the tourney.

Rod

Tom_In_Cincy
06-05-2003, 12:01 PM
Carol,
I would always go with the cue I am most confident. And, I would practice exclusively with that cue.

And, it's always nice to find a new cue that works better than the old one. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sid_Vicious
06-05-2003, 12:44 PM
I play with whatever cue makes me happiest at the moment, but remember, I'm no champion, I just like to play well, have fun,,,being highly particular about the tiny details ain't my deal. New or different cues, new or different tips, doesn't matter to me if they happen to be working at the moment. Someone else here already stole my first answer, "I don't know why anyone would want to play with a Meucci in the first place", but for the purpose of answering the question, I'd say, "If the Meucci feels good, switch off and play with it." sid

Nightstalker
06-05-2003, 01:07 PM
If it feels good, play it! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Sparky
06-05-2003, 01:21 PM
I wouldn't switch cues just before a tournament. You have not had time to practice enough with the Meucci. It may throw off your consistency, speed, accuracy, control, etc. I would wait until you have had time to "get to know" your new cue. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

"Sparky"

Barbara
06-05-2003, 03:42 PM
Carol Girl,

You switch cues to your heart's content! In fact, I'll throw in a couple more for you to try, if you'd like. Got a couple Palmers gathering dust in my basement. Let me know.

I want to see you talking to yourself at the NJ 8-ball SC!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif In fact, it I get to draw you, I'll help you along - "Hey Carol, you missed that last shot with the Meucci, why don't you try a Viking now?" /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Anything to help you Woman, just ask!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Barbara~~~needs to win a match... /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Barbara
06-05-2003, 03:46 PM
Carol,

You compete too frequently between JPNEWT and CAT to really get a break-in session with a cue. So like the advice I gave to Spidey, shoot exclusively with that cue and learn how it plays and how you have to make your own adjustments on thin cuts and extreme english shots.

See you in a couple weeks!!!

Barbara

Sid_Vicious
06-05-2003, 04:01 PM
It don't get no more difficult than that now does it! sid~~~don't worry, be happy

Popcorn
06-05-2003, 04:12 PM
The old one. The first time something goes wrong you will be second guessing the cue.

CarolNYC
06-06-2003, 03:11 AM
Thanks Rod,
I am definitely the type of person who must have peace of mind going into a tournament and not feeling the wrap, is going to make me think of it,instead of making the damn ball,ha ha ha ha!
The Helmstetter it is!
Thanks so much!
Have a great day!

CarolNYC
06-06-2003, 03:14 AM
Yep,Yep,Yep!
Carol:)

CarolNYC
06-06-2003, 03:18 AM
Tap,Tap,Tap!
Thanks!

CarolNYC
06-06-2003, 03:30 AM
LMAO,Barb,
I was figuring in Dec. or Jan. I'll fool around with some cues-the "vault"(ha ha ha ha) holds the Viking,Joss and Falcon and soon, the Schon from your swimming buddy,ha ha ha ha!
For now, I'll stick with the Helmstetter as everyone has advised-
If it works,use it!If it feels good,do it!So far so good!
Thanks Barb!
Carol~knows barb will win matches!:):):):)

CarolNYC
06-06-2003, 03:38 AM
Your right! But then again, I could always BLAME THE CUE for missing the 9-ball,ha ha ha ha-excuse number one million and one!
Thanks for sharing your opinion!
Stay well!

06-06-2003, 04:34 AM
man, i shoot with this guys joss the other night, and sheesh am telling this joss made my meucci feel like a $20.00 stick from modells or kmart. I tired to buy his cue off of him, but since he would'nt see it to me, i asked him where did he get that cue from. he gave me the info and am going to get one, but now my meucci feels unworthy and i really dont want to shoot with it anymore. i might just sell it on ebay for about $200.00.

so my answer to you is to let the meucci go, but if you've already purchased it sell it, and if you really like it GOOD LUCK. DAMN THAT JOSS FELT GOOD &amp; HIT LIKE MAGIC, I NEED THAT IN MY LIFE

NBC-BOB
06-06-2003, 06:16 AM
One of my favorite cue's is my Helmstetter.I also have a few other nice questick's and have tried switching between them many times, and although I do feel a difference, it's small and after an hour or so,I don't notice any difference.
However you did say something about an upcoming tournament, and if the tables have new cloth, or a different type, you may find,adjusting between cue's and cloth more difficult.

Sid_Vicious
06-06-2003, 07:42 AM
I just now noticed that you answered your own question Carol. As you know pool is 90% mental, so if you have any extra thoughts due to using a new piece of equipment, then don't. You play for a bigger crowd than I do, stay as mentally comfortable as you can. To be the Devil's avdocate though, I'll remind you of a saying, "When you've been doing somethinng wrong for so long, suddenly doing it right will feel wrong to you." Avoidance may just be wrong, or right, or wrong....well you get my point...sid

CarolNYC
06-06-2003, 11:38 AM
Point taken,Sid,
Thanks!

CarolNYC
06-06-2003, 11:45 AM
Absolutely-everything else is fine EXCEPT the NOT feeling the wrap:):):)-it sounds so ridiculous,ha ha ha!
I do not know much about cues,but someone told me Adams makes the Helmstetter,is this true?

CarolNYC
06-06-2003, 11:48 AM
Hi,
Yes, the Joss is a pretty cue-the Meucci I cannot sell-it was a gift!:):):)Good luck on getting the Joss!
Have a nice day!

Tom_In_Cincy
06-06-2003, 12:47 PM
Carol,

From the Billiards Warehouse website "Adams Cues are made by Competition Sports (which) also makes Balabushka, Helmstetter, Hurcules, Karella and Stinger Cues"
http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cues/adams/adams_pool_cues.htm

http://www.competitionsports.com/
is located in Farmingdale NY.

Fred Agnir
06-06-2003, 01:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Absolutely-everything else is fine EXCEPT the NOT feeling the wrap:):):)-it sounds so ridiculous,ha ha ha!
I do not know much about cues,but someone told me Adams makes the Helmstetter,is this true?
Carol:) <hr /></blockquote>Yup. Adam Cues (which is now apparently called something else) was founded by Richard Helmstetter, creator of the Big Bertha Driver, Senior Executive at Callaway Golf, and commercial star of various Callaway products.

Fred

Voodoo Daddy
06-06-2003, 01:31 PM
TAP TAP TAP...Joey is the man!!!

CarolNYC
06-07-2003, 03:06 AM
Your the BEST!
Have a great day!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

CarolNYC
06-07-2003, 03:14 AM
Thanks Tom,
I also have a very unusual novelty item my husbands grandfather gave me-its a cane that unscrews and becomes a pool cue,ha ha ha-must've been used in the ole days!:)
Take care!

9 Ball Girl
06-08-2003, 11:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Thanks Tom,
I also have a very unusual novelty item my husbands grandfather gave me-its a cane that unscrews and becomes a pool cue,ha ha ha-must've been used in the ole days!:)
Take care!
Carol:) <hr /></blockquote>Hey Carol, my Dad had one of those. It's what he used to put together when he started to teach me, albeit just the shaft since the whole thing was too big for me. It was burgundy color.

CarolNYC
06-09-2003, 03:41 AM
Ha Ha Ha,that is too cute"just the shaft" ha ha ha-Jim says "HI!"
Take care!

CarolNYC
06-09-2003, 03:47 AM
Ooooohhhhhh,is Voodoo dissing me for using the Meucci?ha ha ha ha-I guess I'll have to try the "Omen" IF AND WHEN you get outta Dade County,hint,hint.........and come up North!ha ha ha