PDA

View Full Version : Where do I find a half decent cue?

runout1961
06-05-2003, 10:28 AM
I have said in a previous post that my cues were stolen from my room. I was wondering where I should look for a good quality cue for around $100 or less to hold me off until I can afford a better one? Any suggestions?
John Ehle
USAF Firefighter

Wally_in_Cincy
06-05-2003, 10:35 AM
Dufferin sneaky pete

pooltchr
06-05-2003, 10:37 AM
Players or Fury

dmgwalsh
06-05-2003, 10:41 AM
USED VIKING ON EBAY. i GOT A VM26 FOR 105 THERES A FEW VM-13S GOING RIGHT NOW. dENNIS

Nightstalker
06-05-2003, 10:59 AM
Yes, try Ebay first. If there is nothing there, I like The Billiard Warehouse (http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cues/index.htm) /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

06-05-2003, 11:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Dufferin sneaky pete <hr /></blockquote>Ditto! I've owned a couple Dufferin SP's -- best $60 cue you will ever find, IMHO. Get 'em while you can, because Dufferin is reportedly on the verge of bankruptcy, and it has been said they are shutting down virtually all but their one-piece house cue production. Tis a shame, really...

Snyder1
06-05-2003, 11:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote runout1961:</font><hr> I have said in a previous post that my cues were stolen from my room. I was wondering where I should look for a good quality cue for around $100 or less to hold me off until I can afford a better one? Any suggestions?

Lucasi makes great cues for just under a hundred bucks ... I have two from ebay &amp; love them.

JS
John Ehle
USAF Firefighter <hr /></blockquote>

Deeman
06-05-2003, 01:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote runout1961:</font><hr> I have said in a previous post that my cues were stolen from my room. I was wondering where I should look for a good quality cue for around $100 or less to hold me off until I can afford a better one? Any suggestions?
John Ehle
USAF Firefighter <hr /></blockquote>

John,

If you are in Ramstein, you can go to Jan Lutz Billiards in Koenigstein (just 10 minutes North of Frankfurt). Jan (pronounced "yan")is only open on Saturdays from 9:00a.m. until about noon. Tell him Dee Sands sent you and you need an inexpensive cue. He is a member of the Poolbilliardverein and they always have a few good sticks for sale. By the way, he does not speak much English but is a hell of a guy. I was on his team for many years. No matter what deal he gives you, say "Das ist nicht billig genug!" and he will come down on the price. He will also get you free tickets to the billiards expos in Germany and can set you up in a league if you like. He is a very good player. While you are there, please get his home phone number for me as I have lost it.

Dee

highsea
06-10-2003, 06:18 AM
I'm with Wally. Dufferin SP.

Even better than that IMO was an $79.00 stick they made (at least up till last year) with a linen wrap, a 7 piece (pie section) laminated shaft and an aluminum joint. PM me if you want me to look up a model number for you.

The standard tips were a little mushy for my taste, so I would just 86 it at the git-go. and pick out (from a 50 box) the hardest LePro tip the dealer has and spend the additional 7 bucks to have them put it on for you.

I select the tips out of the box like this (DO THIS PART YOURSELF!): Flip them over. Look at the back side. Some are really flat, and some are not so flat. Some are downright curved. The ones that are not so flat or curved I reject. The ones that are nice and flat, I separate. Of those, I look for the ones that are smoothest. The reason is that the there is variation in the pressing of the tips. The tips that are pressed hardest are flattened out better on the backside, because they get more pressure during the process. From this lot, I pick the fattest one or two. It takes a few minutes to pick the best tip in the box. Spend the time, and buy the 3 or 4 that are nearly as good. Save them for later. If your dealer doesn't let you do this, take your business elsewhere.

Have your dealer install this tip on your new cue. It's going to mushroom after a couple months of play, but don't worry. Use this cue to break whenever you play. The break is an important shot, and you will get better breaks with this stick than you will with a house cue. It will help the tip to compress, and it won't hurt the cue, it has a metal joint. That's one of the reasons why you picked out the fat tip in the beginning. Just trim it down and shape it as it compresses, and after about 6 months it will perfect, you will be used to it and the stick, and you will be kicking all your buddies a**es at the ph with your $86.00 investment (plus case). And, when it's time for a new tip, you can hand one of your spare tips to the dealer and say "put this tip on my stick". This keeps him from dumping one of those other 47 rejects on you!

If by then you decide to invest in something a little nicer to play with, you have a nice break cue already, and a cue to hand to your friends so they don't bang up your nice $500.00 custom stick.

Dufferin's have a very good shaft for the buck. That plus a good tip (where the leather meets the ball), and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE will go a long way when it comes to making your buddies pay for your next beer. JMHO, sorry for the long winded reply/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-CM &lt;~~~Play Pool