PDA

View Full Version : First true DVD in U.S.A!!

06-05-2003, 07:31 PM
Check out the first true digital DVD samples in the U.S at http://www.worldpool.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=036&DEPT=1053705609&BACK=A0001A1 this is the real deal. These guys are filming the patriot cup. I have ordered and viewed the DVD's and this is serious competition for accu-stoneage. See you in the future Marty.

06-05-2003, 08:50 PM
Nice video quality on the samples, but I didn't care for the commentary at all, nor the superimposing of their talking heads on the pool table. And if someone is filming a tournament, you'd think they'd turn down the jukebox -- I love the Eagles and all, but Hotel California blaring along with the annoying back and forth of the commentators really got on my nerves.

I like Accu-Stat's commentators (most of the time). Billy I., Grady, and Buddy Hall are fun to listen to, and you can learn a lot just from their commentary.

BTW, Accu-Stats is going to DVD production in July.

Hopster
06-05-2003, 09:51 PM
I like Accu-Stat's commentators (most of the time). Billy I., Grady, and Buddy Hall are fun to listen to, and you can learn a lot just from their commentary. <--Dmorris

I agree with you, i d/l ed the eight ball match with corey and niels and wasnt overly impressed.

arn3
06-05-2003, 10:27 PM
the clarity is cool, but commentary will sell.

06-05-2003, 11:23 PM
I am new to this sport, I met and spoke to this group www.worldpool.com. (http://www.worldpool.com.) You all can talk about cues and rules and mosconi and buddy hall till the day is done. It means nothing to these people. You dont understand world market reality in 2003, and that is... O.K. I purchased the first releases from this company and was given extra stuff as well. Too many extra features for any competition in the U.S. Sorry they did it first. Everyone knows it guys.
Your way too late bud.
I do not doubt the wistom of Grady the Proffesor but from the looks of the news lately Troy Frank is the best bar table player in all of the world and who are you to say he is not fit to teach me how to play 8-ball commentating. I bet if he and Bill or Grady played it would be total destruction. Bye Bye words. I could also mention that Shawn Putnam has won the Viking tour for the past four years and he is invited to cardiff this year. Nitey night words again.
So let us talk now about the reality of the situation. Bil Who the hell is he? What was the last tournament Grady won? I hate to tell ya, but if a bar table match in a bar with the number 1 player 1 the world vs the number 1 player in Europe, with the jukebox playing american songs in the background with four of the top young players in the world involved is not reality DVDtv. then Go on back to sleep lil doggies. I think Dallas is on at five. accu- clearwater puts me to sleep.
Angle features and worldpool DVD rack selection set this far in lead with the open unclouded player.

So.. Go on back ta sleep now, you can,t stop this bud.

pooljunkie73
06-06-2003, 01:24 AM
Dude, whats with the attitude? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

nAz
06-06-2003, 02:42 AM
dude tell us how you really feel.

Nice previews, what kind of prices for these DVDs?

Rich R.
06-06-2003, 05:25 AM
And how long have you been working for this company and how much is your commission?
With your attitude, I assume you are on their payroll.

You may like to tell your boss that it would be nice if they would tell people when and where these videos were done. There is no background information at all, on the sale list. These could be matches in some ones basement for all we know. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Ken
06-06-2003, 05:40 AM
Well Otto, with someone like you shilling for them I doubt they are going anywhere fast. You have managed to turn me off and I will not consider buying the product.

You seem to think the only way to advertise is to run down a product that virtually everyone appreciates. It seems to me that your product is more annoying than entertaining. Bar-box eight ball on DVD doesn't interest me enough to put any money into watching it. You have a lot to learn about marketing.
KenCT

MikeM
06-06-2003, 06:02 AM
Nice marketing plan otto! You seem to have alienated a whole group of pool players that should be your target audience. What a genius!

When Accustats comes out with DVDs later this year along with their sterling commentary and exemplary customer service you don't stand a chance.

MM

bluewolf
06-06-2003, 06:20 AM
Barboxes are uh barboxes. When i watch a video, I want to see it on 9 foots.

Laura

Wally_in_Cincy
06-06-2003, 07:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote otto:</font><hr>

....You all can talk about cues and rules and mosconi and buddy hall till the day is done. It means nothing to these people. .... <hr /></blockquote>

Well in that case they should be extremely successful /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

otto, you are an idiot, but good luck anyway. You'll need it /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

BTW if you're the market director for the US you might want to learn proper English.

Wally~~helpful as always

nAz
06-06-2003, 07:34 AM
<hr /></blockquote>

otto, you are an idiot, but good luck anyway. You'll need it /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

<hr /></blockquote>

Bahahaha

damn hill billy! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
06-06-2003, 08:22 AM
World Pool.com was introduced last year at the US Open. Its not that new. The productions were done in Ohio in early 2002. There are only 5 players (Mika, Corey, Niels, Troy and Shawn) Nick Varner was mentioned as a player, but I haven't seen any of his video matches.

The production company (owners of all the audio and video equipment) hired the players to put on the show.

If it is true that WorldPool.com will be recording the Patriot games, it is natural to assume that the UPA has sold the rights or is in cohoots with WP.com for the DVD rights.

You really don't think the UPA will let someone else make money off of its players or this event, do you?

CrispyFish
06-06-2003, 12:38 PM
Not a fan of the bar boxes and commentary.

Incardona talks strategy that goes way beyond the individual match.

Oh yeah, and the music is plain obnoxious.

Aboo
06-06-2003, 01:11 PM
Well, having never viewed an Accu-Stat match (my computer won't play the samples they offer on their site, and I will not buy a product site-unseen /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif )
I would say that I enjoyed the 8-ball, bar-box match and the commentary given. I think the ghost head over lay was a bit much, but it didn't hinder the view and I almost didn't even see it.
I enjoyed the commentary, because the guys were explaining why Duel and his opponent might be doing what they were doing. (The cluster break-outs, timing of them, etc...)

A lot of folks on this board seem to forget that not everyone in the world plays pool at a professional level and/or refuses to play anything but 9-ball on a 9 foot table.

Yes, otto was a jack-ass in his second post, but the videos from wp.com don't have his name on them and seem to be pretty decent quality to this member of their target audience.

JMHO

CrispyFish
06-06-2003, 01:17 PM
I suggest you get your hands on an Accu-Stats tape, preferably 8-ball. I really do think the Accu-Stats commentary is far more educational.

EDIT: You don't have RealPlayer on your computer?

Aboo
06-06-2003, 01:39 PM
On my computer at home I do. But there I have only a 56K modem and the downloads take FOREVER. Here, at work, I have been unable to make the Accu-stats samples work, even with RealPlayer installed, updated, and double checked. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Fred Agnir
06-06-2003, 01:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Aboo:</font><hr> I would say that I enjoyed the 8-ball, bar-box match and the commentary given. I think the ghost head over lay was a bit much, but it didn't hinder the view and I almost didn't even see it.
I enjoyed the commentary, because the guys were explaining why Duel and his opponent might be doing what they were doing. (The cluster break-outs, timing of them, etc...)

<hr /></blockquote>I liked it. Anyone who thinks that watching world class players play 8-ball on a barbox is somehow not interesting, child's play, or anything demeaning is missing out on something.

I'd say I'd buy it, but I passed on it before, so I guess I'll pass on it now.

Fred &lt;~~~ cheap bastard

CrispyFish
06-06-2003, 01:42 PM
Try right-click downloading the samples to your desktop and viewing them from there. That's what I had to do. I also had to make sure there weren't any RealPlayer processes already running when I clicked on the files (in Win2K, I did Ctrl-Alt-Del--&gt;Task Manager--&gt;Processes and ended the realplay.exe process). That should do the trick.

Aboo
06-06-2003, 01:45 PM
I d/l'ed both of them to my desktop, no mention of anything resembling Realplayer in my Process or Application list in Task manager either... Maybe I need to remove and re-download RealPlayer, although I haven't any problems with other RP files of late /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

CrispyFish
06-06-2003, 01:50 PM
Bummer. One last option -- dunno if you want to bother -- is to get the Tara Realplayer plugin for Winamp, and try to use that to view the files. If that doesn't work, I really don't know what to say! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

cycopath
06-06-2003, 02:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Aboo:</font><hr>A lot of folks on this board seem to forget that not everyone in the world plays pool at a professional level and/or refuses to play anything but 9-ball on a 9 foot table.<hr /></blockquote>I definitely agree with that statement, Aboo.

I have some of the Accu-Stats 8 Ball Invitational tapes, and I like them alot. Billy Incardona does a fantastic job commentating. I do like the prices at WorldPool.com 19.99 a DVD, not too bad when compared to most of the prices at Accu-Stats. That's my only complaint with Accu-Stats is the pricing. I understand they have to make up for the cost of production, but maybe they would sell more volume with reduced pricing.
My complaint with the samples at WorldPool.com is all the changing camera angles and whatever. I almost felt like I was watching a damn music video on MTV, like the director was trying too hard to make it cinematic. It got me curious enough to order a DVD though. So I guess it worked. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

06-06-2003, 02:40 PM
I don't really dislike the bar boxes -- I would watch a good match on any table, although all things considered I'd prefer 9' tables.

But I still dislike the commentary compared to Accu-Stats, and while bar-boxes are okay, the loud bar room environment I could do without. Turn down the juke and adjust the microphones a bit to reduce extraneous noise (like the noticeably loud ball return mechanism) and I'd be much more likely to enjoy their product.

I also agree that their camera work could be better. What would be nice is multiple fixed camera angles, since DVD's allow for angle selection dynamically while viewing, but I suppose that would cut down considerably on the length of video that would fit on a disc.

Since their prices are attractive, I may order one or two myself, otto's acting like a jerk notwithstanding...

06-06-2003, 02:46 PM
Otto sez:
Go on back to sleep lil doggies. I think Dallas is on at five. accu- clearwater puts me to sleep.

Hey Otto, you been slamming down that Liebfraumilch again? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif