PDA

View Full Version : Gain Anything By Playing When...

Sid_Vicious
06-06-2003, 04:54 PM
...you know you are terribly off and inconsistent? I am presently in one of those "down zones", you know, where you can't seem to feel positive about making your reliable shots, but yet maybe are winning mostly through hail marys and/or your opponent's bad luck.

I'm wondering, "Is there gain to be had in heading off into the regular weekend tournament, instead of first attempting to find at least some of your lost confidence?" I'll surely have fun, but at the same time I KNOW there will be some pain lining up a winning shot, feeling like it could maybe miss by a diamond.

Whatcha think, will it be better or worse to play through instead of lay low???sid

bluewolf
06-06-2003, 05:03 PM
Is it truly pool related, or is it a general down feeling due to crappy circumstance, which in that case often affects how a person feels about everything.

snipershot
06-06-2003, 06:07 PM
IMO, it will be better for you to play through, I'm sure there will be times where you lose confidence mid game or in the middle of a tournament, and when that time comes you won't have the choice to lay low. You might as well learn how to overcome this while you have the chance, your not playing for a million bucks so don't sweat it man, and like you said you will have fun.

Sid_Vicious
06-06-2003, 06:31 PM
BW...You suggesting that my heading into a financial dilemma heading into a 32 hour week, a mortgage and summer electric bills in Texas,,,you mean I might be preoccupied and thrown off? GOT ME THERE! I had forgotten to factor that in, well not really cuz I've thought about the necessity to win money games and bear'd down a LOT more because of it. The body just following the subconscious, and yet I am relying on pool to be my understanding mistress throughout this stint. "I gotta get by life's balance."

Sniper, you're right. I couldn't lay low, but I'll be slow to gamble, at least for a while. Spiderman, "Santa" still has a set waiting though, me 4 ahead going to 7 from having to quit in mid match, I can beat him, even if the house catches fire, I break my right arm and lose my regular cues on the way to the battle ;-)

Thanks, y'all are a great bunch to come to!!!sid~~~ready to "play"

heater451
06-06-2003, 08:50 PM
I think you'll have a gain, IF you can win. (I know, stating the obvious there. . . .)

Sid, just make sure to check a few things, to see if you can 'get ahold of yourself':

1) Hit the CB into the rail, to check your stroke. (Have the CB return to your cuetip.)

2) Once you're sure your stroke's in, make sure your routine is 'regular'. (If you always look at the CB last, make sure you're looking at the CB last.)

3) (As was brought up in the "I NEED HELP!!!!!" thread) don't forget to breathe.

I'm sure that you've already decided if you can risk the entry fee. If you can get a little "escapist peace" by just playing (and not getting upset if you do badly), then I say, "go for it".

============================

cheesemouse
06-07-2003, 05:25 AM
Sid,

I know you've heard this said by coaches, announcers, pundants, analyst and the players of other sports...."THEY/HE,SHE,IT have to learn how to win" your statement:
[ QUOTE ]
but at the same time I KNOW there will be some pain lining up a winning shot, feeling like it could maybe miss by a diamond.<hr /></blockquote>
...fits right in to this process in my opinion...

ArtMetcalf
06-08-2003, 11:59 AM
I just attended Blackjack's Be the Best Seminar and he covered this subject in great depth. Instead of looking at it as a "down zone" look at it positively. Yes, your making errors and mistakes, but at the same time, your weak spots are being showed to you, and you are learning what you need to work on in practice. You also should never try to diagnose yourself. Have someone else (instructor) look to see what your doing wrong, or videotape yourself making shots. The tape don't lie. . You can "lay low" or not "lay low", it depends what you do when you are laying low that will make the difference when you go back to playing in your tournament.

tateuts
06-08-2003, 01:22 PM
Sid,

Do you practice enough? I mean daily quality, solitary practice? My guess is that you do not.

You probably should consider practicing your way out of the slump while continuing to play in the tournaments. Consider practicing instead of matching up. You can build confidence by being prepared, but that process in pool takes a lot more practice than most players are willing to put in.

You can get yourself pumped up and energized again by playing your best. If you're still missing in competition but not in practice, that's a different issue.

Do I match up when I'm playing bad? Hell no. I want my opponents to match up with me when they're playing bad!

Have fun and good luck.

Chris

SpiderMan
06-09-2003, 09:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Spiderman, "Santa" still has a set waiting though, me 4 ahead going to 7 from having to quit in mid match, I can beat him, even if the house catches fire, I break my right arm and lose my regular cues on the way to the battle ;-)
<hr /></blockquote>

I've gotta quote you on that, it will get him interested in catching up with you for the rematch.

SpiderMan