PDA

View Full Version : DIAMOND GUARANTEES TV BROADCAST FOR 78 WEEKS

BCn
06-06-2003, 09:15 PM
BILLIARD CLUB TELEVISION NAMES DIAMOND AS TITLE SPONSOR
Agreement Guarantees TV Broadcasting of Pool for 78 Weeks

St. LOUIS, June 6, 2003 -- Billiard Club Network is proud to name Diamond Vending & Promotions, the maker of the Diamond Smart Table, as the title sponsor of BILLIARD CLUB television. The agreement guarantees cable TV and satellite broadcasting of championship pool for a 78-week schedule through the end of 2004.

"We’re making the commitment to guarantee that pool is on TV every week and we’re hopeful that the industry will recognize the importance of this effort and make their own commitment to support the programming," said Greg Sullivan, Diamond president. "Pool players and billiard fans now have a TV schedule they can rely on to see top players competing in the biggest events."

BCn will broadcast tournament match programming from selected Diamond sponsored events in its new cable and satellite TV series scheduled to begin July 3rd on Empire Sports Network (http://www.empiresports.com) in New York and July 11th on Sunshine Network (http://www.sunshinenetwork.com) in Florida. In association with Accu-Stats Video Productions, BCtv’s broadcast debut features the U.S. Open 9-Ball Championship, which can also be seen nationwide on Dish Network (http://www.vmcsatellite.com/channels/order.cfm?sid=515) and DirecTV.

"This is a turning point for men’s professional pool," said Rob Sykora, BCn president. "With Diamond’s support, we’ve completed the foundation for the broadcasting of major professional events on cable and satellite, which is absolutely essential for pro pool to gain national exposure and corporate sponsor participation."

Accu-Stats (http://www.accu-stats.com) will play a key role in the future of the broadcast production by lending its 20 years of experience producing tournament match videos. "We’ve produced over 700 tournament matches and we look forward to featuring our efforts on broadcast TV," said Pat Fleming president Accu-Stats. "We’re also very convinced that this broadcast series will take pro pool to the next level."

Headquartered in New Albany, Indiana, Diamond (http://www.diamondbilliard.com) is the leading table provider for professional and amateur pool events. Diamond sponsors a growing number of pro events, including the U.S. Open 9-Ball Championship (http://www.q-masters.com), LA Open 9-Ball Championship (http://www.laexpo.net/), Glass City Open (http://www.glasscityopen.com), Trump Marina 10-Ball Open, and Derby City Classic (http://www.derbycityclassic.com), and numerous amateur and special events, including the national championships of the American Poolplayers Association.

BCn (http://www.billiardclubnetwork.com) is a national network of billiard establishments broadcasting Billiard Club television as their in-house video entertainment. BCtv features match footage, instructional segments, and other entertainment including video footage from Affiliates Clubs in the network. BCtv is a production of BCn in association with Accu-Stats Video Productions and sponsored in part by: APA, Aramith, Billiards Digest, Simonis Cloth, Sardo Rack and a network of affiliate clubs.

Let's Get It On!

For more information:
Contact Rob Sykora
Billiard Club Network
Toll free 1-866-774-8770
or
Email billiardclub@earthlink.net

TomBrooklyn
06-06-2003, 09:43 PM
Greg exhibits a passion for excellence and a strong desire for to constantly seek improvement to the game. Bravo!

Harold Acosta
06-06-2003, 10:17 PM
If not mistaken, you sent out another message on how to get you Satellite provider these broadcasts. Could you post the info here for all of us to see?

06-07-2003, 08:55 AM
Harold, can you get Dish or DirecTV in PR? I didn't know if their satellite beams reached that far south.

For DirecTV, you have to add the Sports Pack to your package, which will get you both the Empire and Sunshine channels. It's considered a "premium" package like the movie channel packages, so it's $12/month for the first one, $11/month for the second package, etc.

For Dish Network, it's a bit cheaper, $6 I think, to get the extra sports channels.

Ken
06-07-2003, 01:05 PM
Dish claims that it services PR. Echostar VII is higher in the sky and closer than in Ct. It would require a view nearly due west at around 260 degrees and an elevation of 27 degrees. Nearby trees would interfere but any 100 feet away would probably be no problem.

The standard small dish might be adequate or a larger dish might be necessary. There are dealers on the island or Radio Shack could provide info on dish size.
KenCT

Harold Acosta
06-07-2003, 02:27 PM
We are a U.S. possession and we have all US businesses here; McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, Church's, KFC, IBM, Dell, Gateway, Compac, HP, Apple, AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, Office Max, Dish Network, Direct TV, Sears, JC Penny's, Macy's, Kmart, Wal-Mart, Radio Shack, etc., you name it, we have it. It's like being in the U.S. except we speak Spanish. They say that we have the best of two worlds...The Old since we were a Spanish Colony, and the New World since we are now a U.S. possession. We are U.S. Citizens, and our currency is in US dollars....

......so, yes, we do get the Satellite beams from the North....LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

06-07-2003, 06:26 PM
Yeah Harold, I'm quite aware of the status of PR. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I just wasn't sure if the sat beams made it that far south. I know in some extreme areas of North America, it's tough to get a signal. Some places in Alaska need larger dishes to pick up the DBS sats like Dish and DirecTV, as Ken said.

Harold Acosta
06-07-2003, 06:53 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Some places in the Island you need up to 3 dishes to get all the signals. Cable TV in PR has a TV Ad in which they "dish" satellite TV providers because evertime it rains, the signal is lost and you need another "big dish" to cover the "dishes" for better signal. In another one, there is a guy holding an umbrella under a rain storm, and his family is yelling at him cause they are losing the signal. It's hilarious!

Cable and Satellite TV in PR has an ongoing war about who best provides a signal. I have Digital Cable, and sometimes it's the "pits". Cable TV made the switch to digital because of signal theft.....you know, all those cable descramblers.....

Well, what the heck, at least Cable TV is better than our local TV stations.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

charlieb
06-07-2003, 10:21 PM
Here Stateside,"digital" cable is actually no more than 30% digital. Only satellite can give you 100% digital. Either way I am really looking forward to watching all that pool!

BCn
06-09-2003, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If not mistaken, you sent out another message on how to get you Satellite provider these broadcasts. Could you post the info here for all of us to see?
<hr /></blockquote>

Empire is available to all cable customers in Upstate NY and northern Pennsylvania

Sunshine is available to all cable customers in Florida.

Satellite customer outside these market areas, contact:

DISH Network 1-800-333-3474: Ch. 422(EMP) Ch. 432(SUN)

DirecTV 1-800-347-3288: Ch. 626(EMP) Ch. 632 (SUN)

If you're looking to subscibe to a satellite service, Dish Network will provide you with more opportunitites in the future to see pool. (http://www.vmcsatellite.com/?sid=515)

Any other questions, please call us directly, toll free 1-866-774-8770

Rob Sykora

St Paul Gal
06-09-2003, 03:39 PM
So how do we get Comcast (formerly ATT Broadband, formerly Mediaone) to carry the channel in MN?

Greg/Diamond
06-12-2003, 12:18 PM
Just wanted to add that none of this would have been possible without the commitment of my partner in the Smart Tables,,,,Mark Griffin... It's rare for one to find a partner with many of the same beliefs and the ability and nerve to do more than just talk about improving pool. I'm sure we will learn many things in this new adventure. Hopefully, we will make positive changes that will make pool closer to a spectator sport from what I now consider to be more of a participation sport. Anyway, pool will be on weekly and that's a start........Greg/Diamond

Eric.
06-12-2003, 01:01 PM
Greg,

I think this thing is gonna be very good for Pool. Having televised Pool is the best way to build public awareness for the game(not to mention entertainment for us junkies).

I think between the Derby City Classic, BcN broadcasts and improving the standard of equipment (Diamond Pro and Smart Table), this is part of a "Quiet Storm" brewing for Pool. I'm looking forward to it.

Eric

Aboo
06-12-2003, 01:18 PM
crap crap crap! I've never had cable in my life. I finally get it, and find out I should have gone with dish after all &gt;:(

eg8r
06-12-2003, 03:58 PM
Thank you Greg and all the rest that are making this happen!!!!

Is there a format set for the programs? If a tournament ends on Sunday, will we see tidbits of all the matches the following week? or see one match at a time on a certain table like Accu-Stats?

Once again, thank you.

eg8r

Scott Lee
06-12-2003, 06:49 PM
Greg...Kudos to you and Mark! It takes people like yourselves, with vision, to step up to the plate and make a serious commitment! Perhaps when other billiard companies see what you two have done, they will jump on board!
See you in Las Vegas next month!

Scott Lee

Greg/Diamond
06-12-2003, 08:27 PM
You will have to ask Rob for any details on formats etc.. I'm sure he will be keeping his eye on this chat room and will be happy to answer questions. Also all involved will be happy to here comments both good and bad. Anyway, it's on!! Greg/Diamond

BCn
06-13-2003, 04:49 PM
At this time, the format of the program is primarily tournament match footage. This initial series will feature the 2002 U.S. Open.

As we progress through the production process we will include other feature segments, such as instruction, interviews, Club footage, plus highlights from regional tours (Viking, Falcon, Joss Northeast, to name a few) for which we already have an inventory of content thanks to Mike Janis, Mike Zuglan and Nick Prinsloo. And of course, Accu-Stats will figure prominently in the production and development.

I also want to emphasize Greg's point about hearing comments. We do want to hear what you think and we'll do our best to create and develop TV programming that satisfies you, the viewer.

We have a very comprehensive business plan and Diamond (Greg Sullivan and Mark Griffin) is now very instrumental in its execution.

Thanks again for the kind words and support.

Rob Sykora
billiardclub@earthlink.net
1-866-774-8770

eg8r
06-13-2003, 07:02 PM
I am very excited about all this. My suggestion would be to incorporate Mike Howertons tournament coverage into the show. There are so many regional tours that go on it is hard to catch up on what all is happening. I really like the idea of updates on the Viking, NEWT, Joss, Kennedy's tour (Southeast I think). There are plenty others and this could be a great way to pass on the news.

eg8r

BCn
06-16-2003, 03:27 PM
AZBilliards.com does a great job of keeping the news updated and we've already had discussion with Mike about using his site as a portal for news and information. You'll see AZB mentions on the program.

Rob Sykora
billliardclub@earthlink.net
1-866-774-8770