PDA

View Full Version : probilliards in orlando

06-07-2003, 04:28 AM
does anyone know if probilliards is where charlie williams practices? and are there any good pool players that go to that pool hall?

Nostroke
06-07-2003, 08:40 AM
Yep Charlie plays there as does Luis Viera and 6 or7 above shortstop types and right now (temporarily) a female who just beat an open player for 2 sets in NY. Dont expect an upscale room- Its pretty grey in there.

Fred Agnir
06-08-2003, 06:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote shotdocta:</font><hr> does anyone know if probilliards is where charlie williams practices? and are there any good pool players that go to that pool hall? <hr /></blockquote>Last time I was there, Nick Varner was also. Buddy was in the following week. I think I was told at the time that Nick came in often.

Fred

Fred Agnir
06-08-2003, 06:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nostroke:</font><hr> Dont expect an upscale room- Its pretty grey in there. <hr /></blockquote>This is interesting. I might have said, "don't expect an upscale room - it's more of a poolplayers place."

Fred

Nostroke
06-08-2003, 07:28 AM
OK Fred you have a point. The front table area is definitely "pool player" area but there is a large amount of Bar Space and the back area with the Gandy's or whatever they are weighs heavily in the other direction IMHO. NOt having seeen a lot of Posts by the poster, i dont know what he is looking for.

I remember hearing so much about Mother's Billiards in Charlotte that i planned a stop there on my way to Florida. I thought it would be really nice and id spend a day or two there. I was pretty excited about it. Well I was out of there in an hour. Just one small tidbit from my hour there. The chalk (Master) they gave me was cracked and down to about 20%- barely being held together by the paper which was now white and when i asked for some better chalk- The answer was "Sorry thats all we have - Lots of times we dont even get it back so what can we do?"

PQQLK9
06-08-2003, 10:16 AM
[[quote=Nostrok
I remember hearing so much about Mother's Billiards in Charlotte that i planned a stop there on my way to Florida. I thought it would be really nice and id spend a day or two there. I was pretty excited about it. Well I was out of there in an hour. Just one small tidbit from my hour there. The chalk (Master) they gave me was cracked and down to about 20%- barely being held together by the paper which was now white and when i asked for some better chalk- The answer was "Sorry thats all we have - Lots of times we dont even get it back so what can we do?" <hr /></blockquote>

Now ain't that the truth. Management could give a s**t less about it's patrons.
The place is steeped in history in that is was formerly the home to Eva Mataya and a lot of the WPBA players, but since Kelly Oyama sold it a couple of years ago it's been all downhill. Allison still practices and teaches there on ocassion and beside the continuous action there it's turning into a real dump especially on Friday and Saturday nights when they charge $5.00 to have people dancing in between the tables while you are trying to shoot.

pooltchr
06-09-2003, 05:42 AM
You guys are right that it has changed since Kelly sold Mothers. Note of interest. Mother's will probably not be around much longer, at least in it's present location. I just learned that the city of Charlotte will be taking that land to build a light rail system down south to Pineville. I don't know if the owner plans to move or close, but either way, it will be a shame. It may not be the place it once was, but it's still an institution in the city, and you can still find a lot of players there in the back room. I remember a time a few years ago when I walked in on a Monday afternoon and found no less than THREE world champion players practicing in there. I ended up spending about 2 hours just watching and learning. I'm gonna miss that place!

eg8r
06-09-2003, 06:00 AM
I guess you could say Charlie practices there, but he is not around much. The last couple times I saw Charlie, he was hanging out with some friends and just talking, or he was walking in the door at around 1 AM. Not much time to hang out and watch him play. Nick Varner comes in during the early evening hours (if he comes in) around 4-6.

There were some really good players there (I have not played there regularly in about a year so some may have left). Someone mentioned Luis Viera, and there are a couple Josh's that play pretty sporty. One Josh shoots lights out (I cannot remember his last name). He is very young, I don't think he is even 21. The other Josh is a good player but loses his concentration and game pretty easily in the big matches (He was ahead of one of the big name pros last year and imploded, missing some easy shots).

As far as room conditions, it is a small pool hall, only 8 9 ft tables (other tables in the back 8s and 7s). The big problem for me with Pro Billiards is the smoke. If you are there on a busy night, it gets pretty nasty in there. I usually head to the bathroom regularly to clean my eyes out.

eg8r