PDA

View Full Version : Moori, real or fake?

06-07-2003, 09:07 AM
I've been thinking of putting a Moori tip on my cue. However, I've been warned about fake Moories being on the market. Is there a way to tell an authentic Moori from an impostor? I also seem to remember something about a perticular series of Moori not performing well. Any info on either of these queries would be most appreciated.
TIA,
Cap

Sid_Vicious
06-07-2003, 10:52 AM
Why so much a hard on for a Moori anyway? If you really want one, I'm not sure you'll ever be sure that you got a genuine Moori. I've had one in the past, about 4yrs ago, and sure they played good, but other layered tips have come out now and rivaled the Moori tips performance. Spiderman and I got some recently off Ebay and I'm taking his word that they are the same as the one I was given 4-5 years back by a renowned 3-C player(I know mine was real), but nothing REALLY jumps up at me telling me that these are absolutely genuine when I see one under a loupe. Good luck, I'm not sure you will ever know...sid~~~would take a Talisman or Hercules if I really wanted a layered tip

PoolFool
06-07-2003, 12:38 PM
Sid, the Hercules being sold now are not the same as 3 -4 years ago. Spiderman and I compared a new one and an old one at SPetty's and there is a world of difference. The new ones have only 10 - 11 layers and the leather is not as good. I don't know who is making Hercules now but they are not as good as the Morri's (fake or real?) I bought off ebay.
PoolFool

Harold Acosta
06-07-2003, 07:35 PM
The Moori's being sold on Ebay, are from a reputable dealer (Barringer Cues). I have purchased some. I also have two Moori's given to me by Ismael Morro Paez at the 1999 US Open. Both of the tips do not compare. The old Moori seems to be of a much harder and a darker material than the new ones. Old ones seems to be of better quality.

The price of Moori's have dropped, so I guess you can experiment with one. I'm using Talisman tips, domed medium hard pro. So far, will not change them to put on the Moori.

My 2 cents on this issue....

<font color="blue">Billiards: A passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/images/starscrash.gif

Fred Agnir
06-08-2003, 07:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote captain:</font><hr> I've been thinking of putting a Moori tip on my cue. However, I've been warned about fake Moories being on the market. Is there a way to tell an authentic Moori from an impostor? I also seem to remember something about a perticular series of Moori not performing well. Any info on either of these queries would be most appreciated.
TIA,
Cap <hr /></blockquote>I don't know if anyone is making an effort in making "fake Moori tips" similar to "fake Rolex watches." What I've heard of is someone trying to pass off another tip for a Moori, even though they really don't look close.

Moori have black lettering, not gold.
They say "Made In Japan"
The laminations are very even. Look under another tip witha loupe, and there's an obvious difference.
Tips like Talisman and Herucules have a more reddish tinge to them.

And, of course, if it says Mori or other misspelling, it ain't a Moori.

Fred

cuechick
06-08-2003, 07:51 AM
It is just not how the play, it is how they last. I had Moori's put on and they out last any other tips by 3-6 months or more! I was going through tips EVERY three months before. I had one put on my cue last year in NJ at the State Championships and it is still good, and that was close to a year ago.They also do not mushroom. I think they are well worth the investment.

pooldaddy9
06-08-2003, 08:20 AM
Try a Triangle tip, just as good only cheaper.

miko
06-08-2003, 09:05 AM
fyi, mooris use different colors in their lettering depending on the type of tip. For Quick, lettering is black. For Medium, the lettering is like gray or gold. and for Slow, the lettering is red. What is written in the top side of the tip is something like:

MOORI
Q
JAPAN

written in the bottom with black lettering is:

GLUE
SIDE

Fred Agnir
06-08-2003, 01:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote miko:</font><hr> fyi, mooris use different colors in their lettering depending on the type of tip. For Quick, lettering is black. For Medium, the lettering is like gray or gold. and for Slow, the lettering is red. What is written in the top side of the tip is something like:

MOORI
Q
JAPAN

GLUE
SIDE <hr /></blockquote>Can someone else confirm this?

Fred &lt;~~~ has had over 100 Mooris in hand, nothing but black lettering

Sid_Vicious
06-08-2003, 07:32 PM
Sounds to me like the true Moori tips passed away with Mr. Moori himself. Something good to know. sid

Harold Acosta
06-08-2003, 08:38 PM
Fred, mine read:

MOORI
M
JAPAN

Bluish, greenish maybe gray lettering. It's night time so I can't really distinguish.

GLUE
SIDE

Black, dark gray lettering.

My Old ones: I have 3 different ones.

One has:

MOORI
M
JAPAN

Letters seem gray, but also like dark green. Again the lighting is not helping me distinguish.

I have two others. One readss only XS, no info on glue side. The other reads MH, no other identification.

These 3 Mooris are darker in color than the new ones I have.

I could scan them for you to see. Send me a private message with your email address.

Harold

Fred Agnir
06-09-2003, 07:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Sounds to me like the true Moori tips passed away with Mr. Moori himself. Something good to know. sid <hr /></blockquote>As far as I know just a few months ago (March, 2003), Mr. Moori was alive. Contrary to rumors of his passing.

Fred

SpiderMan
06-09-2003, 07:28 AM
I doubt anyone is going to the trouble to completely duplicate the lettering on both sides of the Moori tips, so if you are buying them uninstalled from a reputable dealer and they are correctly marked you're probably OK. I recently bought a bunch from Barringers and am convinced I got the real thing, they even came in the Moori-labeled round tin can.

If you're getting one installed, though, I'm sure there are disreputable tip doctors out there that would substitute on you. For example, the Instroke layered tip is virtually indistinguishable from a Moori after it is installed and shaped. Hercules and Talisman are pretty easy to pick out visually by looking at the layers from the side.

SpiderMan

Sid_Vicious
06-09-2003, 01:25 PM
My reply about Mr. Moori's state of living(or not) was due to what Harold stated, that the old tips that Harold has, appears much better then the ones gotten these days. Would a living Mr. Moori allow that quality drop? I'd hope not, but I do wish the man well, and hope he is alive.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"The Moori's being sold on Ebay, are from a reputable dealer (Barringer Cues). I have purchased some. I also have two Moori's given to me by Ismael Morro Paez at the 1999 US Open. Both of the tips do not compare. The old Moori seems to be of a much harder and a darker material than the new ones. Old ones seems to be of better quality."

Fred Agnir
06-09-2003, 02:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> My reply about Mr. Moori's state of living(or not) was due to what Harold stated, that the old tips that Harold has, appears much better then the ones gotten these days. Would a living Mr. Moori allow that quality drop? <hr /></blockquote>The third hand information I have is that a (the?) Quality Control dude for Moori branched off to make his own tips. Molavia Tips. They look just like Mooris. Go figure.

Fred

06-09-2003, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. The thing is that Moori is so revered, I'd like to find out for myself. Also I found some on ONTHESNAP.COM for fifteen bucks. Was just wondering if I should take a shot at them with the lowball prices.

SpiderMan
06-09-2003, 05:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote captain:</font><hr> Thanks for the replies everyone. The thing is that Moori is so revered, I'd like to find out for myself. Also I found some on ONTHESNAP.COM for fifteen bucks. Was just wondering if I should take a shot at them with the lowball prices. <hr /></blockquote>

Cap'n,

Recently, Barringer's was offering them for $7.50, then they went back to $12.50, then back down again. I'd send them an email and see what you can get them for. They ship for free, also. Email is: info@BarringerCues.com and they've always responded within about a day.

SpiderMan

miko
06-09-2003, 08:18 PM
I have seen some shops here selling the Molavia tips and they certainly look similar to Mooris. I haven't tried one though. Since the Molavia is more expensive than the Mooris here in our part of the world. Go figure.

Sparky
06-10-2003, 07:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote miko:</font><hr> fyi, mooris use different colors in their lettering depending on the type of tip. For Quick, lettering is black. For Medium, the lettering is like gray or gold. and for Slow, the lettering is red. What is written in the top side of the tip is something like:

MOORI
Q
JAPAN

GLUE
SIDE <hr /></blockquote>

I have some Moori tips here.

Top side says (in green lettering):

MOORI
M
JAPAN

Bottom side says (in black lettering):

GLUE
SIDE

I got these tips from Barringer. They are authentic. I hope this helps.

"Sparky"