PDA

View Full Version : Lesson with Scott Lee

Karatemom
06-08-2003, 12:43 AM
I just had the pleasure of getting a lesson from a wonderful instructor, Scott Lee. What a guy! He is a great teacher and really works with you instead of trying to change what you already have. I would highly recommend him to anyone wanting a lesson from a certified instructor. He is such a busy man, I don't know how on earth he manages to stay awake! LOL. I definitely plan on putting the information I received tonite to good use. It'll require more time at the pool hall, but that's not such a bad thing! Thank you so much, Scott. Keep in touch and let us know the next time you come through town.

Heide ~ feels like kicking some butt, after a short nap though, /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

CarolNYC
06-08-2003, 02:04 AM
Congratulations Heide,
Good luck and my best to the family:)
Carol

Ralph S.
06-08-2003, 05:48 AM
Isn't Scott cool as hell Heide? How long did you two shoot, and what kind of stuff did you work on? Oh yeah, and a pm or email with an update on Chris would be like really great. Glad you enjoyed the lessons and I hope Chris is doing better.

OnePocketChamp
06-08-2003, 06:51 AM
I know exactly how you feel after receiving a lesson form Scott, he is such a great guy and almost as important he really knows how to teach, Keeps it fun and the tape you receive makes it wonderful to refer back too weeks after he is gone.

06-08-2003, 08:30 AM
I'm scheduled for a day with Scott at my home on June 23rd. Needless to say, I'm anxious!

Karatemom
06-08-2003, 10:34 AM
He worked with me on a few things. Gave me some drills to do. I still have a problem with hitting the contact point on the OB conistently. Something that helped tremendously was the "margin of error" talk.

He also worked with Christ a little. He is amazingly good with kids. You could tell Christ was really listening to him.

On the subject of Chris. He is doing alright. Instead of having good days and bad days, he has good hours and bad hours. The bad are still outweighing the good, but he is definitely better than a month ago. It is just a slow process. Doc said that for every day you're in the hospital, count on recovering 2-3 days for it. So he's still got a long road ahead of him. Just can't expect too much too soon.

Heide

Karatemom
06-08-2003, 10:37 AM
I guarantee you'll love it. He is such a good teacher. Some people have the knowledge and can't teach and some people can teach but don't have the knowledge. Scott has both. He is geared toward working with you on what you've got already, instead of changing you're entire method to his own. He realizes that if it works, don't fix it. Let us know how it goes afterward.

Heide

pooldaddy9
06-08-2003, 05:41 PM
I'm waiting on a reply for July 1st. Can't wait for my lesson, I have heard so much about this guy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

eg8r
06-08-2003, 07:15 PM
Congrats on the lesson. Scott is a great teacher.

Thank you for the update on Chris. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

06-08-2003, 08:02 PM

Scott Lee
06-08-2003, 08:33 PM
Heide...I was really great to meet you and Christ finally!
I had as much fun working with you both, as you guys did!
Spike is really gonna be a great player, and we'll all help him along! Chris looked great, and I was really glad to get a chance to visit a little! It was a very late night, after doing several lessons in Des Moines, before coming to see you in Moline! I didn't get into bed until almost 6am this mornning, and had to get out to more lessons today at 11am and 3pm!

For all my other friends out there, and friends yet to be...
I am currently in Chicago, for this week. I did two lessons today, and have 7 more scheduled for this week, before heading the following weeks to students in KY, TN, AL, FL, LA, GA, SC, NC, MD, PA, OH and IN...44 lessons and 7500 miles, all in the next month! YIKES! LOL Good thing I love what I do!

Scott

Sparky
06-08-2003, 08:37 PM
I would love to get a lesson from Scott. It sounds like he's an excellent teacher. However, I am in Southeast Michigan. Does he ever come through here?

Scott...are you out there listening? Do you ever come through Southeast Michigan? Let me know!

"Sparky"

Sparky
06-08-2003, 08:44 PM
Scott gave you excellent advice. I have been gripping my cue lightly for quite some time now. I also have the pause just before I shoot (when I don't forget...hehehe), similar to Allison Fisher. It definitely helps. Pool is very much a mental game, not just physical. The best thing you can do is FOCUS. Sometimes that can be very difficult. I try to focus on every shot. I play a lot in bars. It is extremely hard to focus there. I just try to block everything out when I am playing. It is a challenge in itself. I think I do quite well though. I usually win about 90% of the games I play. Having the mental edge definitely helps. It gives you the advantage over the other players.

"Sparky"

Scott Lee
06-08-2003, 08:45 PM
Sparky...Email me, or call me...773-551-7473!

Scott Lee

Sparky
06-08-2003, 08:51 PM
Scott,

I would love to travel the country and help you out. I am jobless right now. In return, maybe you could help me out with my pool game. I don't expect you to pay me anything. I would do it for the love of pool.

Drop me an Email! The address should be in my profile.

"Sparky"

Scott Lee
06-08-2003, 09:03 PM
Ummmm...do you happen to own an airplane? LOL That's what I REALLY need! Of course, I'd need a pilot too! LMAO

Scott

Sparky
06-08-2003, 09:38 PM
Scott,

No, I don't own an airplane...LOL! I wish I did. I'm not a pilot either...LOL! I'd still be willing to travel the country with you. I'm sure that I could help you out somehow.

"Sparky" <--- Thinking of where he can get an airplane and a pilot. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

GreenLion
06-08-2003, 10:57 PM
Im looking very forward to my lesson with Scott Lee on July 5.I really like that im going to be getting a vedio tape of our lesson. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r
06-09-2003, 06:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would love to travel the country and help you out. I am jobless right now. In return, maybe you could help me out with my pool game. I don't expect you to pay me anything. I would do it for the love of pool. <hr /></blockquote> Sparky, I think this is why your other post went south the last time.

Keep sending in the dollars. Sparky wants to travel. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Ralph S.
06-10-2003, 06:58 AM
LMAO, well said Eg8r. It just sounds like he is looking for a free ride anyway he can get one.

Kato
06-10-2003, 07:13 AM
I get him on June 28th. Busy man that Scott Lee.

Kato

cycopath
06-10-2003, 09:07 AM
We're scheduled for June 21st, which unfortunately falls directly in with our APA City Cup Tournament. But hopefully it'll happen. I'm really looking forward to it.

Sparky
06-10-2003, 03:01 PM
Sorry dude...that is not why I was asking for money. I don't want money to travel. I deleted the other post because I got sick of listening to people like you. Can we drop that subject now?

Thanks,
"Sparky"

Sparky
06-10-2003, 03:02 PM
I hate to tell you this Ralph, but I am not looking for a free ride. I'm glad that you know so much about me. I am wondering when all of you will stop making ASSUMPTIONS about my life.

"Sparky"

eg8r
06-10-2003, 04:06 PM
I know you don't want the money to travel. You want the money to pay off your debt. The problem is instead of getting a job bagging groceries and helping pay your own debt while some people might actually send you a dollar, you are requesting to go on the road and not make any money in the process. Willing to work for free is nice, but it does not make sense when you are on a forum asking others to help you pay your debt.

Decisions my friend, you do not seem to making the correct ones lately. Good luck!!!!!

eg8r

Sparky
06-10-2003, 04:20 PM
Will you please find something better to do? I really don't care to hear your opinions, or "bashing" any longer. I DELETED my other post. This is not the same post. Drop it please! Leave the other one behind. You really don't know what you are talking about. You don't even know me. Do you know whether or not I am looking for a job simply bagging groceries. No, you do not! Therefore, I would take your ASSUMPTIONS and simply stick them up your a**!!!! Get off my nuts!!!!

Do you always make the correct decisions? Do you ever make mistakes? Are you perfect, as you seem to present yourself?

"Sparky"

eg8r
06-10-2003, 07:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you always make the correct decisions? Do you ever make mistakes? Are you perfect, as you seem to present yourself? <hr /></blockquote> No, No, No. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Nightstalker
06-10-2003, 07:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
Do you always make the correct decisions? Do you ever make mistakes? Are you perfect, as you seem to present yourself? <hr /></blockquote> No, No, No. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

No, no, no......because you SUCK!!!!! HAHAHA!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Karatemom
06-10-2003, 08:13 PM
OMG can you tell the difference! I applied everything that Scott showed me the best that I could to tonite's league play, and although I shot a 39, I shot very well. The longer pause helped me the most. Thanks so much, Scott!

Heide ~ so.....when are you coming back? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rod
06-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Heide,
Was that at the c/b?

~~~Rod, man of few words

Karatemom
06-10-2003, 10:51 PM
Yep, my pause at the cb was not long enough to think about what I needed to do. So Scott gave me some tips on what I should be thinking about and doing during that pause. I can't even tell you how much it helped.

Heide

Rod
06-10-2003, 11:10 PM
Heide,
I figured Scott would deal with that pause. All good things happen from there. You'll be hitting the c/b more accurate and your shot making ability will go up. Not to mention better speed control. Glad to hear it helped you, now go get-um. LOL

Rod

Wally_in_Cincy
06-11-2003, 06:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr> Yep, my <font color="blue">pause at the cb </font color> was not long enough to think about what I needed to do. So Scott gave me some tips on what I should be thinking about and doing during that pause. I can't even tell you how much it helped.

Heide <hr /></blockquote>

I've also tried to incorporate this into my shooting. And it does help. However I only concentrate on it in practice so it becomes second nature. In a match Monday I thought about it and it disracted me and I missed the ball.

So K-mom or Scott Lee, any opinions? Whaddaya think?

Wally~~needs to watch that tape again /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
06-11-2003, 07:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sparky:</font><hr>
I would take your ASSUMPTIONS and simply stick them up your a**!!!! Get off my nuts!!!!....

<hr /></blockquote>

Generally speaking, gratuitous vulgarity is frowned upon by the members of the CCB. Hope this helps.

Wally~~helpful

pooltchr
06-11-2003, 07:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr> Yep, my <font color="blue">pause at the cb </font color> was not long enough to think about what I needed to do. So Scott gave me some tips on what I should be thinking about and doing during that pause. I can't even tell you how much it helped.

Heide <hr /></blockquote>

I've also tried to incorporate this into my shooting. And it does help. However I only concentrate on it in practice so it becomes second nature. In a match Monday I thought about it and it disracted me and I missed the ball.

Wally~~needs to watch that tape again /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Wally, you learned the same way I did...the hard way. Randyg stresses in his classes, and I do as well that practice and play time are two completely different things. As soon as you try to practice in a match, you run into problems. Practicing properly will get those good habits into your subconscious so you don't have to think about them when playing. Last year I came back from a 3 day course, and got drilled the first night in league! Now I make sure I keep the two activities completely separate.
Steve

Sid_Vicious
06-11-2003, 09:57 AM
Does Randy teach pause at the CB, or at the backswing???sid

eg8r
06-11-2003, 10:48 AM
Congrats. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I am happy you are able to successfully implement what he taught.

I am still struggling with the lag speed stroke and the follow through. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

eg8r

Fred Agnir
06-11-2003, 11:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Does Randy teach pause at the CB, or at the backswing???sid <hr /></blockquote>Both.

Fred &lt;~~~ set, pause, finish

Nightstalker
06-11-2003, 11:23 AM
Yes, both is probably a good idea. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sid_Vicious
06-11-2003, 11:31 AM
Seems as if I've heard he accented the backswing pause instead of the CB pause...I could be mistaken...sid

Karatemom
06-11-2003, 11:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> Congrats. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I am happy you are able to successfully implement what he taught.

I am still struggling with the lag speed stroke and the follow through. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>There is so little difference between the lag and the medium speed stroke, it is a hard one to master. But as he said, no one is perfect. I just make sure I'm in that "margin of error". I still have trouble with that real short stroke and follow through for those real delicate shots, instead of just "poking" the cb.

Heide

Karatemom
06-11-2003, 11:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> I've also tried to incorporate this into my shooting. And it does help. However I only concentrate on it in practice so it becomes second nature. In a match Monday I thought about it and it disracted me and I missed the ball.

Wally~~needs to watch that tape again /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>Could it be that you just plain missed the ball? LOL. j/k. In all actuality, I can be ready to shoot, and sure of the contact points on the cb and ob and still miss it by just a hair. Oh well, I am beginning to realize that I overcut most shots more than anything else, so I just move over a bit and it seems to help.

Heide

pooltchr
06-11-2003, 11:59 AM
Sid,
He teaches a pause at the Set position while the cue tip is at the cb following pre-strokes, and another pause at the back of the back-stroke to allow the transition from using the triceps to using the biceps when your arm changes direction.

Scott Lee
06-11-2003, 08:36 PM
Wally...If you watch your tape again, I believe I remember reminding you about a fast backswing, AFTER the pause at the CB! This will do more to wreck your accuracy, then how long you pause! Almost everyone backswings too fast...both in the practice strokes, and on the commitment stroke, where you make contact and followthrough! This may just be the MOST common, yet least understood, error in people's strokes! You MUST have a slow backswing, to enable your brain and arm muscles to accurately pinpoint the aimpoint on the CB, and then be able to hit it EXACTLY there! Remember how small the contact point is? 1/8 of an inch, or the same size as the red circle on the red circle CB.
Miss where you think you are aiming by another 1/8", and the shot can go completely wrong. At the very least, your position will be less accurate. Another reason why we play and teach "zone" position, as opposed to "dime" position.
Margin of error is greater (meaning you can miss a little and still pocket the ball and get reasonable position) with a slow backswing. This is true whether you pause at just the CB, or at the CB and the end of the backswing...as long as the pause at the end of the backswing is not pronounced.
It's really just a slight hesitation, to allow the cuestick to change direction. The definition of timing, as related to the pool swing, is defined as the transition from a backwards motion to a forward motion. This absolutely MUST be a smooth movement for the best result. There are always exceptions to the rule (like Buddy Hall, who has a REALLY long pause at the end of the backswing). But for most of us, a more pronounced pause at the CB will result in a better stroke, provided you can hit the CB where you think you are, and you have a consistent followthrough. JMO

Scott

charlieb
06-11-2003, 11:19 PM
Scott, teaches a pause at the cue ball to verify the spot that must be hit to pocket the ball, once you are sure that your line is correct then a very slow back swing with a pause at the end--while your brain verifies everything--then a smooth pendulum swing, with the elbow not dropping and all balls that move are moving at pocket speed.

charlieb
06-11-2003, 11:23 PM
Sorry, I did not read all the posts before replying. DUMB.

Fred Agnir
06-12-2003, 12:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Seems as if I've heard he accented the backswing pause instead of the CB pause...I could be mistaken...sid <hr /></blockquote>Definitely mistaken, misled, or misunderstood.

When you see pooltchr write "set, pause, finish, "

SET = Pause at Cueball
PAUSE = Pause at final backswing
FINISH = Final position at the final stroke

That's the BCA method taught by RandyG and the Pool School. Definitely pauses at both.

Fred &lt;~~~ and FREEZE

Kato
06-12-2003, 02:04 PM
Man that's gonna hurt the muscles in my shoulder.

Kato

Barbara
06-12-2003, 05:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> Fred &lt;~~~ and FREEZE

<hr /></blockquote>

Yep, that's something I forgot to do at the end of a shot on the 8-ball and wound up fouling the CB to give my opponent BIH on the 9.

Barbara~~~sometimes has "brain freeze", too...