PDA

View Full Version : Production vs. Custom

06-08-2003, 02:00 PM
This is my maiden post, so go easy. I recently got back into the game, and play in local tournaments twice a week. I am no ace, but I enjoy a competetive match and also enjoy high end equipment. I have recently been playing on/off with a Viking and a Joss. I was impressed by how solid and predictable those cues were. Well, all of this was completely thrown out fo whack when I played a bit with a custom cue - a Jerry Olivier. OMG, I felt like I had hit with this cue all of my life, it was so predictable. Needless to say, I am selling my 3 production cues, so I can purchase a $500 - $700 Olivier.

Has anyone else had a similiar experience ? If so, please reply with what the cues were, and differences you noticed with the custom stick !

dg-in-centralpa
06-08-2003, 03:29 PM
I went from a production to another production and it was like night and day. Then I went to a custom and I love it. I went from a Meucci to a Predator then bought a Richard Black. I have no use for my Meucci. It is a low end and the shaft has so much wobble, I couldn't control the qball. I love the Pred and the Black and could easily use either. Everything depends on how you prefer the hit; stiff/soft, etc. Also the confidence you get from the stick. If you feel good about the stick, you'll play better.

Yuppie
06-08-2003, 03:29 PM
There have been a few discussions about this recently.
Check out the following threads:
http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=ccb&Number=80447&Forum=ccb &Words=jacoby&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&L imit=25&Old=3months&Main=79601&Search=true#Post804 47

http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=ccb&Number=79061&Forum=ccb &Words=jacoby&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=1&L imit=25&Old=3months&Main=79022&Search=true#Post790 61

HalSmith
06-09-2003, 04:02 AM
Schtudd, I know what your talking about on the Jerry Olivier hit . I had hit one of his several yrs. ago and always wanted one. Bought mine about a yr ago and it feels so nice when you hit the cue ball. Was at his shop yesterday and looking at a couple of his latest works, they are really nice too. His break stick is something special also.---Smitty