PDA

View Full Version : I WAS THINKING....???

cheesemouse
06-09-2003, 06:22 AM
...is there one thing that all pool players could agree on???... beginners and advance, big table and barbox, men and woman, smart and stupid, feel players and techno's, pro's and bangers and the only thing I could come up with that all might agree on is: IF YOUR NOT HITTING BALLS YOUR GAME IS GOING BACKWARDS...

I just can't think of anything that is better for your game then hitting balls....JMHO...if anyone can tell me whats better I would be very impressed....LOL.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

...gotta go to work at the golf course.......

Fran Crimi
06-09-2003, 06:49 AM
I disagree. Hahahahahaha.

OK, I'll give you something better than that. If you're not working on your problems, your game won't progress. A player's pool-related problems can't always be solved on the pool table. I'll give you an example:

A few years back, I was talking to CJ Wiley just before a pro tournament. I was watching him hit balls and he wasn't missing anything. I asked him how he felt and he said he felt great. I asked him how much he practiced and he said about 6 hours in the past month. He said it wasn't pool that got him in shape for the tournament. He had taken up martial arts and was working out. He said he felt stronger with lots more stamina and he felt calmer. Sure enough, he won the event.

Fran

Ward
06-09-2003, 07:55 AM
Fran

I agree, I think that there are a lot of pool related problems that can't be solved on the table. The mental side of pool is what is so tough.

In my situation staying focused is the hardest thing to accomplish. I think that once you know how to make shots and how to play position it comes down to focus.

Later

Qtec
06-09-2003, 08:26 AM
Fran, once a player has reached a certain level ,its not neccessary to practice every day.You just need to do enough to keep your "feel". After that,its all about your state of mind.

You should have asked him how much he practised when he first started playing . Betcha that it was more than 6 hours a month.

Qtec

Voodoo Daddy
06-09-2003, 01:18 PM
CASE in point...The Phillipino contengent...if they arent sleepin or playin the tournament...they're hittin balls on a practice table. Practice goes beyond the act. Mental/physical preperation goes beyond the act. Truth is I couldnt pratice 6 hours a day....at anything. Second nature at some point takes over and the Super-ID overrules the ID...first year Phsycology {SP}.

Fran Crimi
06-09-2003, 01:26 PM
True. My point was that you have to work on your problems in order to improve, and sometimes the answer lies off the table.

Take for example, the intermediate player who keeps missing easy 1 ft. hangers straight in. Do you think he needs to shoot more of them? I think he needs to get out and play a round of golf. LOL!

Regards,
Fran

eg8r
06-09-2003, 01:38 PM
I agree, you must actually hit the balls to get better.

However, Patrick, our resident alien will probably disagree. He does not think the act of playing pool will help you get better. He believes VP3 is the best way. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

06-09-2003, 02:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> I agree, you must actually hit the balls to get better.

However, Patrick, our resident alien will probably disagree. He does not think the act of playing pool will help you get better. He believes VP3 is the best way. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>I agree as well, unless maybe you're at such a high level that pool is your life and your muscle memory is permantly burned-in, you must hit (real) balls around a (real) table to improve.

Regrading Patrick and VP3: as a regular VP3 player myself, allow me to say that while it is a great video game simulation of pool (the best there is, actually) in no way can I consider it a substitute for real table time. While it models physics very well and allows you to experiment with the effects of english, deflection, swerve, and such, it lacks the one basic and very important thing about pool, which Fran and others continously mention: the feel of the shot. The stroke in VP3 is always perfect, never wobbly, and speed is very hard to master consistently because you're moving a mouse mere inches to simulate a full stroke. So Patrick is full of crap if he thinks stroking the mouse 4 inches will improve your real pool stroke.

I have a table at home, and sometimes I'll get burned out practicing, or my bad back will act up, and I'll lay off for a few days (or weeks). I'll occassionaly take a break from work (I work on a computer probably 12-18 hours a day, well, sometimes it's play but mostly it's work /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif) to play a few games of VP3 either against the computer opponent or against other people on GameSpy. Almost without exception, I find when I'm playing very well on VP3, I'm in a slump on the real table. And vice versa.

So one must be careful with serious VP3 play versus serious "real" pool -- I think one might mess up the other if you aren't careful. I honestly don't understand how Patrick could think that all one needs to practice with is VP3 in order to get better at the real game, but then again I don't understand Patrick at all. And if I'm not mistaken, Patrick has been accused of using VP cheats in the past, so perhaps his VP3 game isn't all that he cracks it up to be, either...

Fran Crimi
06-09-2003, 06:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> I agree, you must actually hit the balls to get better.

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

eg8r, Here's the comment cheesemouse is asking you to agree or disagree with:

IF YOUR NOT HITTING BALLS YOUR GAME IS GOING BACKWARDS...

That's quite different from "you can't get better if you don't hit balls".

No offense meant to Cheese but the comment is ambiguous. How many balls? How often? Sure. If you don't hit a pool ball for 15 years, I'd say there's a good chance your game will go backwards.

If you don't hit balls for a week, and go on a tropical vacation instead and come back totally rested, there's a good chance you may play some of your best pool ever when you get back.

Some players can lay off for a month (Including BEGINNERS!) and come back playing better than ever.

Cheese then went on to ask if you have a better comment then to state it. What better comment could there be other than you have to address what's wrong with your game, whether it's on the table or off the table in order to improve?

I challenge the CCB. Come up with a better comment than that. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fran

cheesemouse
06-09-2003, 07:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> I agree, you must actually hit the balls to get better.

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

eg8r, Here's the comment cheesemouse is asking you to agree or disagree with:

IF YOUR NOT HITTING BALLS YOUR GAME IS GOING BACKWARDS...

That's quite different from "you can't get better if you don't hit balls".

No offense meant to Cheese but the comment is ambiguous. How many balls? How often? Sure. If you don't hit a pool ball for 15 years, I'd say there's a good chance your game will go backwards.

If you don't hit balls for a week, and go on a tropical vacation instead and come back totally rested, there's a good chance you may play some of your best pool ever when you get back.

Some players can lay off for a month (Including BEGINNERS!) and come back playing better than ever.

Cheese then went on to ask if you have a better comment then to state it. What better comment could there be other than you have to address what's wrong with your game, whether it's on the table or off the table in order to improve?

I challenge the CCB. Come up with a better comment than that. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif...LOL....now how did I know there was not one thing us pool players would all agree on....LOL...I think given some purposefull thought this group could come up with a few axioms of pool...your challenge may get results........and by the way if I repeatedly missed that shot it would because I had a stroke not because of my stroke.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Patrick
06-09-2003, 08:51 PM
Real pool makes your game worse, Virtual Pool 3 makes your game better. This is true unless you can calculate imperfections which no human can.

Read my articles for explanations why VP3 is better than real pool: http://vp3.0catch.com/vp3.htm

Patrick

bluewolf
06-09-2003, 08:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesemouse:</font><hr> ...is there one thing that all pool players could agree on???... beginners and advance, big table and barbox, men and woman, smart and stupid, feel players and techno's, pro's and bangers and the only thing I could come up with that all might agree on is: IF YOUR NOT HITTING BALLS YOUR GAME IS GOING BACKWARDS...

I just can't think of anything that is better for your game then hitting balls....JMHO...if anyone can tell me whats better I would be very impressed....LOL.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sometimes when I take a break, it seems like i get better when i come back. Maybe I am more relaxed and less uptight, not really sure. But it is kind of like my mind was in rut and I was doing the same thing over an over expecting different results.

I am not disagreeing with the value of time on the table but just saying a break and doing somethng different can ressult in coming back to the table more relaxed and with a fresh attitude .

Laura

...gotta go to work at the golf course....... <hr /></blockquote>

Fran Crimi
06-10-2003, 01:17 AM
Thanks Cheese...

Glad to see that you caught that my post was all in good fun.

Fran ~~~ looking forward to the challenge.