PDA

View Full Version : First time BCA/APA rating

UWPoolGod
06-09-2003, 11:33 AM
How do you get rated for BCA/APA when you first join? Is it based on how you do your first couple of matches? I am going to be moving to Portland, OR here in a few weeks and am going to finally look into getting into those leagues. I always play hard and to win, if I get to the highest levels so be it, just have to play harder.
I played in a local USPPA tourney for two months before I stopped going. There someone just watched me for a few racks, rated me a 70. After three weeks they bumped me up to a 95. What kind of swings do people go through in APA/BCA, do they change week to week?

9 Ball Girl
06-09-2003, 11:36 AM
I think that for First Timers in the APA, all males come in as 4s and all females come in as 3s. I believe the same thing goes for the BCA as well too. You might get bumped up a level the following week if you play extremely well on your first go at it. I think.

Fred Agnir
06-09-2003, 12:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr> How do you get rated for BCA/APA when you first join? Is it based on how you do your first couple of matches? <hr /></blockquote> The APA give all males an SL-4 in 8-ball for a new player. Rarely do they give anything else other than an SL-4 for new players, but it happens depending on who you are and what you've accomplished. Here, for example, when 9-time New England 14.1 Champion Roger Boucher decided to join the APA a few years ago, he was obviously made an SL-7.

For the BCA, there is no official format for BCA leagues. They only sanction leagues. So, it's up to the local league operator to determine what the handicap system is like and what new players should come in as. Many leagues format/handicap based on the sample that the BCA has on the website. Not every league does. I know of at least one BCA-sanctioned league that uses a format and handicapping similar to the APA.

The national tournament is non-handicapped.

Fred

highsea
06-10-2003, 05:07 AM
Want to meet up on a sunday for a few racks before you leave town? Send me a PM. I'm in South Seattle, meet you at Belltown Billiards or Tugs in West Seattle. (free pool at tugs and a few good players, 8B barboxes though, or I can get us into the Elks for some 1 on 1, you will probably kick my a**)

-Casey

pooltchr
06-10-2003, 06:32 AM
APA ratings for 8-ball range from 2 to 7. You start as a 4 and it will adjust a couple of times early in your session, then settle down. BCA uses different scales, but most base it on your average points per game (zero - ten). The difference is APA handicaps directly impact your individual matches. BCA handicaps are only used to calculate the final team scores each week. I have played both, and personally like the BCA system better. It takes away any motivation for sandbagging, and makes everyone play their best game every time they are up.

UWPoolGod
06-10-2003, 09:59 AM
I will be in Portland next weekend moving some stuff down. Perhaps during the week the following week. I can play free at Jillians if you want to play there. I have only been to Belltown once. Used to love the 211 Club before it closed. I usually play in the bar tourneys at Goldies on 45th Sunday and Tuesday...but not this Tuesday...stupid work.

wolfsburg2
06-10-2003, 11:09 AM
if you play to win you are going to go up fast. in my area sanbagging is the norm and i am ranked a six because i play to win, and refuse to cheat(sandbag).

you start as a four, but if you win big(say a 4-0 win with low innings and a break and run rack) you will jum up and not drop back down for a couple of weeks.