PDA

View Full Version : 9 Ball Safety Play

tateuts
06-09-2003, 03:28 PM
Any suggestions on good books or tapes addressing 9 ball safety play?

Thanks,

Chris

9 Ball Girl
06-09-2003, 03:40 PM
Anything by Phil Capelle is good:

Phil Capelle Books (http://www.billiardspress.com)

tateuts
06-09-2003, 03:48 PM
Thanks 9 Ball girl! I've read his column in P & B with much interest, but I've didn't know he had a web site.

Chris

SpiderMan
06-09-2003, 03:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> Any suggestions on good books or tapes addressing 9 ball safety play?

Thanks,

Chris <hr /></blockquote>

Chris,

One really good tape on 9-ball safeties at the expert level is "How Do I Win From Here", or something to that effect, by Buddy Hall. Not 100% sure of the title since I don't own it, but I have watched it and it is very good. And I don't particularly care for 9-ball.

SpiderMan

tateuts
06-09-2003, 04:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>
One really good tape on 9-ball safeties at the expert level is "How Do I Win From Here", or something to that effect, by Buddy Hall. Not 100% sure of the title since I don't own it, but I have watched it and it is very good. And I don't particularly care for 9-ball.

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks - That was the title. I found it on a great site called " poolvideo.com " - run by a gentleman named Roger Howerton - he had it in stock and is mailing it today. Looks like just about what I'm looking for - the tape addresses the issue of safety play, traps, and strategy in 9 Ball.

phil in sofla
06-09-2003, 09:50 PM
Bert Kinnister has a couple tapes available, with titles like 'Killer safeties for 8 and 9 ball.' Good stuff.

Capelle covers a lot of safety play in his various books. The Pro Book by Hemming has safety drills to work on, although it's a pricey book anyway, and would be especially so if you only got it for the safety drills.

Koehler's 'Upscale 9 ball' also has good explanations of safety play.

cycopath
06-09-2003, 10:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>I don't particularly care for 9-ball.
<hr /></blockquote>Never would have figured that. It seems everyone nowadays loves 9ball.

So what is your game of choice, Spidey?

tateuts
06-10-2003, 12:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote phil in sofla:</font><hr> Bert Kinnister has a couple tapes available, with titles like 'Killer safeties for 8 and 9 ball.' Good stuff.

Capelle covers a lot of safety play in his various books. The Pro Book by Hemming has safety drills to work on, although it's a pricey book anyway, and would be especially so if you only got it for the safety drills.

Koehler's 'Upscale 9 ball' also has good explanations of safety play. <hr /></blockquote>

Phil,

Have you found that these books and tapes cover a lot of the same ground? I just ordered Phil Capelle's Nine Ball book and the Buddy Hall tape. I'm probably going to digest that stuff for awhile and see where I get with this.

Chris

stick8
06-11-2003, 09:55 AM
You dont need a book! you need to learn go- no go. learn&amp;. that is saftey in nine ball, when shooting saftey in nine ball think of one ball. eather the ob-qb hide,less worry, as to where the other goes, the object of safty is to make player make his best shoot to beat you , dont beat yourself stick

tateuts
06-12-2003, 08:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Anything by Phil Capelle is good:

Phil Capelle Books (http://www.billiardspress.com) <hr /></blockquote>

I just got the Capelle 9 Ball book today - it's very comprehensive - "Play Your Best 9 Ball" - lots of advanced suggestions on pattern play, safes, and the kicking game. Even stuff like carom safes (where you shoot an object ball to deflect off another ball into a safe position) and kick safeties - good stuff. This book alone presents ideas to study and practice and is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks...

Chris

9 Ball Girl
06-13-2003, 08:43 AM
You should check out Capelle's book on Archer vs. Reyes. It comes with a DVD or VHS (whichever you prefer) of the 2 pros playing against each other and Capelle breaks down and analyzes their "moves".

phil in sofla
06-13-2003, 02:23 PM
They overlap, since there are some basic kinds of safeties that come up so often. But they all have their own unique takes and value. For example, Kinnister shows keeping the cue ball where it is after a kick safe, using high or low, and that technique is both priceless, and nothing I've seen elsewhere.

tateuts
06-13-2003, 08:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>

Chris,

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

SpiderMan,

I got the tape and watched it last night. Wow! Vicious safety after vicious safety. For those of you who haven't seen this tape, he can kick the cue ball safe from almost anywhere and lock everything up pretty bad. What's fascinating is his complete control of both balls even when kicking at them.

Chris
(Ain't playin' Buddy Hall, no sir!)

tateuts
06-13-2003, 08:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> You should check out Capelle's book on Archer vs. Reyes. It comes with a DVD or VHS (whichever you prefer) of the 2 pros playing against each other and Capelle breaks down and analyzes their "moves". <hr /></blockquote>

I saw it advertised and it captured my interest. Is it really good? Is it something you can view in a few hours?

Chris