PDA

View Full Version : "The Hustler" Where Bad Habits Originate.

NEMO
06-09-2003, 10:12 PM
Whoopee! Finally got a DVD player to play my "The Hustler" DVD that I got when first released. I hadn't seen it for over 20 years! I really feel that I've entered the 21st century with this DVD thingy.

Having following this forum for some years now, I remember the posts regarding forum members' complaints of actions of opponents during play. A few that I recall to be on the most popular list were:

1. Opponent picks up chalk after he misses.
2. Players placing their lit cigarette on the table rail during their shot.

Well guess who did that? Fast Eddie Felsen! Should those who oppose this behavior blame him (or movie) for this behavior? Wouldn't the masses believe this is acceptable on the holey table and therefore pass it down from pool playing generation to pool playing generation? Was this acceptable back in the days? Personally and within reason, I don't care what my opponent does.

On a lighter note, does anyone know how Fast Eddie got his jacket on over his cast bandage in the scene where he and Sara were in the meadow?

NEMO-a small fish in big pond

phil in sofla
06-09-2003, 10:31 PM
Shooting on bar tables in the '70s, EVERYBODY commonly put their cigarettes on the rail when they shot. Never heard a complaint from management, and it was evidently considered ok to do that.

Now, of course, when simply LIGHTING one up in the room might be an arrestable offense...

cycopath
06-09-2003, 10:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote NEMO:</font><hr>On a lighter note, does anyone know how Fast Eddie got his jacket on over his cast bandage in the scene where he and Sara were in the meadow?
<hr /></blockquote>Well ya see, NEMO, The Hustler is a movie. And in movies they use fake props like split casts and what not. So the answer is, the "fake" casts were put on Paul Newman's unbroken hands after he slipped his jacket on before the cameras started shooting that scene.

I'm just pulling your leg. I noticed the same thing when I saw The Hustler for the first time. It's the little details like that, that bother me to no end.

Congrats on the DVD player. Waaay cleaner picture than that old VHS player, huh.

GreenLion
06-10-2003, 12:36 AM
One night when i was playing at the Tavern i had someone lay his quarters down on the rail right underneath my chin when i was in the middle of a shot.I felt like really chewing him out for that but i didnt.Sometimes it best to just not say anything.

HalSmith
06-10-2003, 03:54 AM
Sometimes, depending on the size of the person putting those quarters under your chin, it is also better not to say too much about it. LOL ---Smitty

pooldaddy9
06-10-2003, 04:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote NEMO:</font><hr>

1. Opponent picks up chalk after he misses.
2. Players placing their lit cigarette on the table rail during their shot.

Well guess who did that? Fast Eddie Felsen! Should those who oppose this behavior blame him (or movie) for this behavior? Wouldn't the masses believe this is acceptable on the holey table and therefore pass it down from pool playing generation to pool playing generation? Was this acceptable back in the days?
<hr /></blockquote>

Was wrong to do back then and wrong to do now. If you gotta have that kind of edge on someone to beat them, you probably shouldn't be playing them.

Fred Agnir
06-10-2003, 07:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote NEMO:</font><hr> .
2. Players placing their lit cigarette on the table rail during their shot.<hr /></blockquote>Many older Gold Crowns (and others, probably) had the option of putting ashtrays in the rails or corners.

Fred