PDA

View Full Version : Nine Ball -- THE greatest game in the world

tateuts
06-09-2003, 11:42 PM
Spiderman gets the credit for this post. He sounds like an excellent player who doesn't care for nine ball. I guess I don't see that too often.

He got me thinking about what I would play if there wasn't nine ball. I guess I would just stop playing. I love nine ball. Nine ball is the greatest game in pool. It may be the greatest game ever invented. I don't like sitting.

Chris

cycopath
06-09-2003, 11:45 PM
You could play 8ball, it's fun. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

GreenLion
06-10-2003, 12:23 AM
One Pocket is alot of fun
Also a good game to play when your by yourself is to try to pocket all 15 balls(Any Order)without the CB touching a rail.Not really sher if theres a name for this game but anyway its great practice.Developeds good speed control!

marek
06-10-2003, 03:15 AM
Yes, the game has its name: "Bob Byrne`s brainwashing drill". And you are right, its fantastic for developing your short range position skills (especially playing with inside english ) and patterns recognition as well. Play it exclusively for 4 weeks and you will find whole new world in pool.
Good Luck!

Deeman
06-10-2003, 06:16 AM
I only play nine ball because it's there and everyone plays it. I much prefer one pocket and 14.1. Eight ball has an attraction that I never appreciated until recently but if I had to choose one game for me to play forever, it has to be one hole.

In fairness, you have to play it for a while to see the difference in it and other games. It requires a lot of defense and strategy that gets lost on newer players.

I don't dislike nine ball and have probably played more of it than any other game but it has lot of limitations.

pooltchr
06-10-2003, 06:42 AM
I really enjoy 9-ball as it suits my personal playing style. I recently started getting a bit more serious about one pocket, and can see where it could become a serious contender as my top choice in games. To me, it's like chess on a pool table. You have to know when to be agressive and when to play conservatively. It is not a fast game, and would not do well on TV, but it is most definitely a challenge.

Wally_in_Cincy
06-10-2003, 08:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> Spiderman gets the credit for this post. He sounds like an excellent player who doesn't care for nine ball. I guess I don't see that too often.

He got me thinking about what I would play if there wasn't nine ball. I guess I would just stop playing. I love nine ball. Nine ball is the greatest game in pool. It may be the greatest game ever invented. I don't like sitting.

Chris

<hr /></blockquote>

If your opponent is running racks of 9-ball you are still going to be sitting /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

I hate to state the obvious but I think you are cheating yourself if you only play one game. There are different skills required for different games.

My favorite game is 14.1

I play mostly 8-ball because that's what's played mostly amongst my circle of friends.

I like 9-ball when played well. When played by ball-pushers like myself there can be a lot of luck involved.

I don't know anyone with the patience to teach me one-pocket /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif or maybe I don't have the patience to learn it.

I wonder why Spidey doesn't like 9-ball /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Fred Agnir
06-10-2003, 08:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> Spiderman gets the credit for this post. He sounds like an excellent player who doesn't care for nine ball. I guess I don't see that too often.

Chris

<hr /></blockquote>You wouldn't be sitting playing one-pocket.

Fred &lt;~~~ plays them all

Icon of Sin
06-10-2003, 08:33 AM
my fav game is nineball too, but other favs are one pocket and straight.

Not a fan of 8ball even though one of the 2 leagues I shoot is 8 ball... (the other is 9 ball)

Predator314
06-10-2003, 08:51 AM
I like 9-ball. It is what I play the most. I also love to play one pocket and 14.1, but it's hard to find one of those games in my area.

SpiderMan
06-10-2003, 09:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> Spiderman gets the credit for this post. He sounds like an excellent player who doesn't care for nine ball. I guess I don't see that too often.

Chris

<hr /></blockquote>

I wonder why Spidey doesn't like 9-ball /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Wally,

I guess I've just gotten a little tired of nine-ball being the standard by which everyone's ability is judged. I personally feel that 8-ball provides a more balanced usage of planning, defense, and shotmaking skills, ie a good compromise for me.

I'm not an expert player, but on the occasions when I rise to the bait of a wagering challenge from someone who's been watching me practice, I always consent to 8-ball only. Seems a lot of better-than-I shooters can be beaten at 8-ball because they aren't used to choosing the order in which to run their balls. They almost get out, then turn over the table.

I guess that's one big difference - in 9-ball, the finish of a run gets easier, in 8-ball it gets harder.

BTW, I just joined a 9-ball league for the summer, so I can continue getting free pool at my favorite hangout.

SpiderMan

Wally_in_Cincy
06-10-2003, 09:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>..... I personally feel that 8-ball provides a more balanced usage of planning, defense, and shotmaking skills, ie a good compromise for me.

<font color="blue">Yeah it seems to me that 14.1 and 8-ball are a bit more cerebral than 9-ball. Although 9-ball requires you to move the cueball longer distances there's not as much thought and planning involved.</font color>

I guess that's one big difference - in 9-ball, the finish of a run gets easier, in 8-ball it gets harder.

<font color="blue">Ain't that the truth /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif </font color>
<hr /></blockquote>

06-10-2003, 09:50 AM
I have to agree. Playing one game is definitely cheating yourself.

Something I learned a long time ago is this: EVERY GAME IMPROVES EVERY OTHER GAME

The precise position play in 9 Ball will help your 14.1, 8 Ball, and One-hole game. Getting proficient at your breakouts in 14.1 will help in your 8 Ball and 8 Ball game. Etc, etc, etc, etc.......

Also, i'm surprised no one has mentioned bank pool.....playing banks has helped my 9 and 8 game tremendously.

cycopath
06-10-2003, 10:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>Seems a lot of better-than-I shooters can be beaten at 8-ball because they aren't used to choosing the order in which to run their balls. They almost get out, then turn over the table.
<hr /></blockquote>I totally agree with that statement Spiderman. I recently shot a few games with my stepbrother, who is a pretty damn good 9ball player and generally kicks my ass at it. This time we were playing 8ball as per my demand and I could beat him in short races of 5 or so. Like you said when the ball order isn't a given it kind of rattles a 9ball player.

Hopster
06-10-2003, 10:39 AM
For me its Straights, eight ball, Rotation, one pocket and nine ball only if i really HAVE to play it.

NBC-BOB
06-10-2003, 11:38 AM
Year's ago I liked 9 ball a lot. But don't care for the new rules, like ball in hand and jump shots. The game was better and a lot more of a challenge to run a rack!A good way to improve one's 9 ball game, is practice without the ball in hand rule.

Sid_Vicious
06-10-2003, 11:51 AM
I'm just like you, 9-ball is great! Thing in 9-ball is that you are forced to play for the next ball in rotation when intentionally causing trouble, and you can't simply redesign the table like you can in 8-ball. You can get out of line in 8-ball and still create a problem for the other guy, whereas in 9-ball your creativiy rests in parking whitie in a tough spot after hitting the lowest numbered ball, I find that more fcused, straight forward and exciting. Eightball can be boring, but 9 hardly ever gets boring at all...sid~~~does like to run around the table, 9-ball fashion

Predator314
06-10-2003, 12:28 PM
We definitely think differently here. In 9 ball, I can play safety and only need to block one ball from being accessed. In 8-ball, you have to worry about up to 6 balls.

UTAddb
06-10-2003, 12:53 PM
I love 9 ball too. Sure, they put it on TV because of its explosive breaks and amazing shots, but for me thats what really makes pool fun. I can't stand 8 ball. Straight pool is cool but I've never had a chance to play 1 pocket.

Sparky
06-10-2003, 05:35 PM
I prefer 8-Ball. It takes more skill. It is also more challenging.

"Sparky"

Sparky
06-10-2003, 05:37 PM
And to add to my last post, I have never played RSB, 14.1, one pocket, etc. I have mainly played 8 and 9-Ball. Most of my time is spent playing on bar boxes so I don't really have a choice. There are no pool halls where I live.

"Sparky"

SPetty
06-10-2003, 05:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sparky:</font><hr> ... I have never played RSB, 14.1, one pocket, etc. <hr /></blockquote>You should try playing RSB - it's a whole different ball game! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sparky
06-10-2003, 06:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sparky:</font><hr> ... I have never played RSB, 14.1, one pocket, etc. <hr /></blockquote>You should try playing RSB - it's a whole different ball game! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I will have to get the rules and try it out. Is it pretty much just like 9-Ball only with all 15 balls?

"Sparky"

06-10-2003, 06:08 PM
Seems to me 9B's about shotmaking and offense, nowhere to hide, not for long, anyway. What's not to like, except the hype?

Still, I shoot some 14.1 every session, and am getting to enjoy it more as I approach marginal competence at it. Used to prefer it, in fact, years ago, when my stroke was so lame that I hated shooting the long green.

But what was the most memorable game I ever watched in a pool hall? A high-class game of one-pocket ... can still see, after a series of tough safeties, the table-length crossover bank, then the nuclear english as the one guy took that tiny opening and ran out 5 more balls.

06-10-2003, 06:19 PM
9-ball has always been my favorite, but I also enjoy 14.1. I've toyed around with 1P and rotation, but can't say I've played either enough to appreciate them. I only play 8-ball with others who don't play anything else. Maybe it's just me, or the caliber of players I've played, but 8-ball seems easier to me than 9-ball. 9-ball is just far more fun and challenging for me.

Nightstalker
06-10-2003, 06:59 PM
9 ball sucks, straight pool sucks! All of you are dumb! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AHAHA J/K!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
06-11-2003, 06:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nightstalker:</font><hr> 9 ball sucks, straight pool sucks! All of you are dumb! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AHAHA J/K!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote>

And who said there was too much "bashing" on the CCB /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nightstalker
06-11-2003, 06:49 AM
I figure I can't beat em, so I am JOINING THEM! AHAHAA /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

John in NH
06-11-2003, 09:21 AM
Hi Deeman,

I agree one pocket is a great game it incorporates all of the pool skills into one game, such as banks, kicks, shotmaking, pocketing balls, but I couldn't imagine being restricted to just one game, I enjoy 9-ball, 8-ball, 14-1, just as much. Each game is different and has something special to offer. In order to get the most out of your pool playing ability, I think that you must play all games.

Just my humble opinion.

John

pooldaddy9
06-11-2003, 10:17 AM
Definitely a great game but not The greatest game, just one of the greatest.

thepoolnerd
06-11-2003, 10:53 AM
I've played pool for 10 years and after playing 3 cushion 5 or 6 times, I could quit pool for 3C. You can't really teach yourself to play. Read Byrne's 1st book, watch a few tapes and give it a try. It will help all of your games.

Deeman
06-11-2003, 01:32 PM
John,

I agree with everything you said! I like many games as well and think they all add to your fun and skills toolbox. It may just be that I long for more one pocket as it is just not played very much any more.

tateuts
06-11-2003, 01:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote thepoolnerd:</font><hr> I've played pool for 10 years and after playing 3 cushion 5 or 6 times, I could quit pool for 3C. You can't really teach yourself to play. Read Byrne's 1st book, watch a few tapes and give it a try. It will help all of your games. <hr /></blockquote>

I've always been fascinated with billiards. I've played it a few times, and I agree, it certainly is a world of knowledge unto itself and is a very interesting, creative game. We had a place out here in North Hollywood, (CA) North Hollywood Billiards, with a whole room full of billiards tables - they weren't in the greatest of shape - I don't know they're still there or not.
Chris

pooljunkie73
06-11-2003, 01:45 PM
When i first learned how to shoot i played snooker,which has it's differn't challenges.I play mostly play 9 ball now,except for league where i play 8 ball.The most interesting pool i have seen is 3C,these guys are amazing!Basically,if you watch as many differn't disciplines as you can,you take something out of each one.The stroke of snooker,positition of staight pool,the shot selection of 8 ball,and how to move the cue ball of 3C.Just my opinion /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

snipershot
06-11-2003, 04:27 PM
As much as I like nine ball I don't think I would call it the greatest game in the world, I get tired of shooting just one game all the time, I can't do it. I enjoy shooting 8 ball alot as well, a little OP and 14.1 never hurts either, I just started playing bank pool alot and have started to enjoy it alot as well.

One thing that is for sure is that playing a variety of different games can do wonders to improve your skills as an overall player.

Chris

NH_Steve
06-11-2003, 07:14 PM
Young eyes always love 9-ball. When you get older -- if you are still playing pool -- the answer will be...
One Pocket /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

HOWARD
06-12-2003, 04:14 PM
Chris

My judgement: I rate 1. straight pool, 2. one pocket, 3. three cushion billiard, 4. snooker, 5. nine ball - with
a provision the pros should play 10 ball.

Howard

Rod
06-12-2003, 06:40 PM
Nine ball is good but I really like 10 ball. Your really limiting your knowledge by not playing other games. I play 9,10,1P, 14-1, golf on a 12 footer and sometimes 8 ball. Mix it up a little.

Rod