PDA

View Full Version : How to hit Mosconi's masse trick shot?

UTAddb
06-10-2003, 02:14 PM
This trick shot caught my eye in Mosconi's "Winning Pocket Billiards." You're supposed to make both balls using an extreme masse. It looks pretty cool, but I can't get it to double the rail like diagrammed. I can masse off the 8 and hit the rail once and come back for the 9. How do you hit it to double the rail like this?
WEI pool table (http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html)

START(
%HD7Y2%IF3Z4%PD5W5%UF8Z2%VM5[4%_G9Z6%`F5Y2%aD7X5%bM1[1%cJ9Z4
%dH3[4
)END

Rod
06-10-2003, 03:53 PM
That shot even shot by Mosconi seldom had that effect. It just went up and back. I imagine most times because of the simplicity during an exibition. To get that effect it needs low inside or low right english. The right makes it hug the rail and the low brings it back. It becomes a little more difficult because right pushes the c/b away from the o/b. Your need to aim at the o/b a little more full.

Another shot Mosconi did in exibitions,
START(
%AH4Z6%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EI6Y1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I q6Z5%PI9Z6
%YD3D1%ZI5X2%[D1Z8%\F8Z3%eC1b4%_Z9Z9%`R3Z5%aK5Z9%bm9[1%cc0Z5
%d\3[3
)END

Left makes it hug the rail and low sends it like a rocket to make the nine. It really doesn't need to have a lot of left nor does this or the other one need to be shot hard. Striking the cue ball accurate is what makes either shot. I've had the c/b suck in the side pocket on the way to the 9 ball! I've followed the o/b in on the other shot. Really both are appx a med speed stroke. It just looks more spectacular when shot harder. BTW pool room owners do not appreciate these shots. LOL

Rod

Candyman
06-10-2003, 07:34 PM
I might be mistaken, but I believe Robert Byrnes explains this shot on one of his tapes.