PDA

View Full Version : What are the intentions of these message boards?

Sparky
06-10-2003, 03:16 PM
I am starting to wonder what exactly these message boards are for here. It seems to me as though many of the people that post here simply like to criticize others by bashing them. When I joined this message board, I thought it would be a place to get some meaningful information regarding pool/billiards. Am I wrong? There is a difference when it comes to stating your opinion(s) or simply "bashing" others. Why don't we use these message boards for what they were intended for?

"Sparky"

cycopath
06-10-2003, 03:21 PM
I think the good out weighs the bad.

Sid_Vicious
06-10-2003, 03:27 PM
There's the complete answer to the question. Look around at the other BBs and you'll find the CCB to be about the best one(IMHO), and yet everyone does need to attempt to keep it that way by not turning to a "slung dung" attitude...sid

arn3
06-10-2003, 03:40 PM
message boards that stick to one subject and only one subject(and i don't know of any) will stagnate and die.

you have to understand that the great thing about open forums is that they DO stray off topic, and when they do, issues arise that may never have been thought of before. if everyone stuck to the point at hand, and only "pertinent how-to's" were posted, the board would probably have everything needed to say in about 4 years.

eg8r
06-10-2003, 04:00 PM
I guess the original intent was for everyone to gather to chat about pool.

[ QUOTE ]
, I thought it would be a place to get some meaningful information regarding pool/billiards. <hr /></blockquote> It is. Check around, the majority of the posts on the Pool Related forum are what you are looking for.

If you want pool related stuff (squirt, banks, tournaments, ways to shoot a certain shot) then go to the Pool Related forum. If you are looking for Non-Pool Related stuff (Help a newbie pay off credit cards by sending him a dollar while he travels around the country with a pool instructor as some sort of apprentice and working for free brining zero money of his own to help pay said credit cards) then go there. i had to add that last part, because it was too easy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Actually the Non-Pool related side of the board is pretty interesting because everything is discussed.

The majority of the posts do stay in the correct forums, and I think while there are always disagreements, on the whole everyone here pretty much gets along. Don't take anything personal, this is a message board.

eg8r

Tom_In_Cincy
06-10-2003, 04:09 PM
Sparky,
When you are in a pool room, is the conversation always centered around Pool? Do you just listen? do you raise questions? Do you offer your opinion?

It's very difficult to enter into a discussion with strangers, especially if you know nothing about them, there skill levels, experience, or for that matter even there gender.

Its like reading books. If you're lucky, 2 out of 10 books you read are 'keepers' the rest are just an exercise in finding out different styles and experiences. Judgement comes from experience and knowledge.

We are all still babies compared to the GREATS and their wisdom at the game of pool.

Sharing insight and correct or incorrect opinions, can be shared, easily here by all that care to contibute.

Have you ever looked at the numbers of "Who's Online" of the registered members vrs. Anonymous User(s). There seems to be a lot more Anonymous Users on line, reading CCB posts.

If nothing else, this place is entertaining and somewhat informative.

tateuts
06-10-2003, 04:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sparky:</font><hr> I am starting to wonder what exactly these message boards are for here. It seems to me as though many of the people that post here simply like to criticize others by bashing them. When I joined this message board, I thought it would be a place to get some meaningful information regarding pool/billiards. Am I wrong? There is a difference when it comes to stating your opinion(s) or simply "bashing" others. Why don't we use these message boards for what they were intended for?

"Sparky" <hr /></blockquote>

Sparky,

Since you asked, I will explain it to you.

This is a place for people interested in pool to post their ideas, discuss issues, and further pursue their interest.

It's cheap entertainment and amusing. We have lives, but this is just a little place to come to.

Sid_Vicious, Spiderman, Fran, Popcorn, and Wally are gems and make scrolling through Fast Larry rantings worth the sufferance.

Pool players, even the nicest of us, are very competitive egomaniacs who secretly strive to destroy each and every opponent, and demostrate their supreme mastery of the cue and ball with each and every run out. Unless, of course, they can't run out, in which case they relish in playing mind numbing safeties to humiliate those of us who can and to watch us squirm and walk around the table like we haven't seen a toilet in three days at the predicament they've laden upon us.

Those who can't run out or play safe talk about squirt and stuff like that. Others drink and play 8 ball, and come here when they're not doing that because they run out of money and will stay here until the next check arrives. This is, after all, free. We smirk as we are destroying an opponent, as we have been smirked against by those who have destroyed us.

You will fnd that some of these folks will be very complimentary of your game while they are robbing you blind even with an insane spot. It's easy to tell a really good player. They're the ones nobody is playing against. And I would strongly advise against ever playing against a really good player nobody is playing against who offers you an insane spot - because no matter what it is, it's not enough. They actually haven't conceived of a spot that's enough in some cases.

The point is, this place is what YOU make of it. When it comes to manners, my basic rule of thumb is to treat others slightly worse than they are treating me. That way, I get a little better deal than they do, but too bad.

My suggestion is to lighten up and take things with a grain of salt - get the humor - and relax. No need to get upset. A lot of this stuff is just damn good entertainment.

And..best of all...

It's free.

JohnnyP
06-10-2003, 05:51 PM
TAPTAPTAP.

No, that's too subdued.

The crowd roared.

Sparky
06-10-2003, 06:03 PM
In MY opinion, some of the things that are said here don't seem to be very humorous. I understand that people have opinions, ideas, etc. However, I don't think they have to "bash" others in the process of expressing their opinions, ideas, etc. Again, this is just MY opinion.

"Sparky"

Nightstalker
06-10-2003, 06:56 PM
Ahh screw it, it is a bash free-for-all! Bash away! Hahaha! Everyone here SUCKS! I suck! You suck! Who gives a darn anyway!!! *laughs like a deranged madman* /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fred Agnir
06-11-2003, 06:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sparky:</font><hr> I am starting to wonder what exactly these message boards are for here. It seems to me as though many of the people that post here simply like to criticize others by bashing them. When I joined this message board, I thought it would be a place to get some meaningful information regarding pool/billiards. Am I wrong? There is a difference when it comes to stating your opinion(s) or simply "bashing" others. Why don't we use these message boards for what they were intended for?<hr /></blockquote>The intent of these message boards is the sharing of pool/billiard related subjects. I'll emphasize sharing, not teaching. Anyone thinking this is the venue for teaching usually gets beat on post-wise.

The beauty of this board is that you get some viewpoints (both agreeing and opposing) from a full range of players from neophytes, to advanced. Some of us could stand a reality check as far as what we think we know compared to what others think they know. Often, they don't agree. In my opinion, that ends up being a good thing.

I think there is always some ad hominem attacks, but for the most part, this board has the least of those. I'd like to think that any discussion or debates (heated or otherwise) I or anyone has on this board is about opinions and isn't personal to anyone. There are, of course, exceptions. But they are few comparitively.

Just check what's happened to the Message Board at Playpool.com. Complete wasteland of internet woofing. Surely that's not what you're looking for.

Fred

Qtec
06-11-2003, 08:05 AM
Dear Sparky,
thanks for bringing this up.Lets face it ,you didnt do yourself any favours with your first post!You come with something like that and of course you can expect people to react the way they did.Although you got knocked down ,the posts you recieved were both informative and amusing. I even gave you a couple of suggestions on how to do it better! I think i can speak for most in saying that there was no animosity towards you and although you came accross as naive, you came accross as a genuine person who was being honest. Wecome to the club.

I myself didnt exactly make a good entrance. I was reading a post about 'smoking in PHs'and there was one smoker against everybody else so i thought i would jump in, give the guy a hand. Anyway,i end up having a disscusion with some guy who,s politicaly a 'little to the right of Atilla the Hun'. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I cant remember agreeing with a single thing the guy says but i can accept that because he can back up everything he says with an arguement. [even if he is wrong] It is his honest opinion .I know that i am speaking to a geuine person .
I am not here to put people down.When i speak about pool i am genuinely trying to help.If i speak about anything else thats just my opinion. You can look at any of my posts and ask me about anything that i have said. I have nothing to hide.When you speak to me i will give you an honest answer.
Most people on here are honest people.They say what they think. There are however a small few who ,in my opinion are deliberately intent on playing games. Manipulation is the game.
I think this forum is almost unique.You have a lot of people who just like to talk pool.Most people are willing to be friendly.Its just a shame sometimes that there are others arent.
Thats life.
Just keep it real.

Q.

cheesemouse
06-11-2003, 08:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sparky:</font><hr> I am starting to wonder what exactly these message boards are for here. It seems to me as though many of the people that post here simply like to criticize others by bashing them. When I joined this message board, I thought it would be a place to get some meaningful information regarding pool/billiards. Am I wrong? There is a difference when it comes to stating your opinion(s) or simply "bashing" others. Why don't we use these message boards for what they were intended for?

"Sparky" <hr /></blockquote>

I look at this board like a watering hole. Eventually every animal in the area has to visit. Some animals come at different times, some get alone with others, some don't, some visit often some not so often, some drink carefully and some are sloppy, than others drink alot in a short period of time ( camels ) and some drink little bits often, others piss in the pond because they're just inconsiderate of others and they have to be trained or driven off by those that wish to drink sweet water...anyway you get the picture...I have visited other watering holes and this one is pretty good waters...waxing...... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

RedHell
06-11-2003, 08:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr>
When you are in a pool room, is the conversation always centered around Pool? Do you just listen? do you raise questions? Do you offer your opinion?

<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="red"> </font color> Exactly !!!

In a pool room different people will exchange on different subject. Some agree, some disagree ! Some are nice, some are not ! You listen and talk to some, you ignore and stay away from others. You see, kinda like in real lige eh ? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

eg8r
06-11-2003, 10:50 AM
Nice analogy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

pooljunkie73
06-11-2003, 11:27 AM
Cheesemouse,

Thats better than i could ever put it!Nice reply /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

heater451
06-11-2003, 04:30 PM
I look at this board like a watering hole. Eventually every animal in the area has to visit. Some animals come at different times, some get alone with others, some don't, some visit often some not so often, some drink carefully and some are sloppy, than others drink alot in a short period of time ( camels ) and some drink little bits often, others piss in the pond because they're just inconsiderate of others and they have to be trained or driven off by those that wish to drink sweet water...anyway you get the picture...I have visited other watering holes and this one is pretty good waters...waxing...... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif <hr /></blockquote>'mouse, you forgot one: Some lay around and wait to prey on some of the others that show up. . . .

=========================

snipershot
06-11-2003, 04:39 PM
Damn, I don't think I could've said it any better.

TomBrooklyn
06-11-2003, 04:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sparky:</font><hr>I don't think they have to "bash" others in the process of expressing their opinions, ideas, etc.<hr /></blockquote>True Sparky, One doesn't have to bash others, one chooses to. Does anyone feel they have to bash someone, that they have no choice?

It is a good feeling when one realizes they can choose.

Sid_Vicious
06-11-2003, 05:31 PM
"I don't think they have to "bash" others in the process of expressing their opinions, ideas, etc."

Ya know I believe I'll second this statement, choice or no...bashing is crude and ugly in my opinion. If everyone jumped on the bashing bandwagon here, I'd find myself somewhere else trying to forget that I ever liked a bunch of you people...sid

Sparky
06-11-2003, 07:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sparky:</font><hr> "I don't think they have to "bash" others in the process of expressing their opinions, ideas, etc."
<hr /></blockquote>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr>
Ya know I believe I'll second this statement, choice or no...bashing is crude and ugly in my opinion. If everyone jumped on the bashing bandwagon here, I'd find myself somewhere else trying to forget that I ever liked a bunch of you people...sid
<hr /></blockquote>

Thanks Sid! I am glad that someone finally agrees with me about something.

"Sparky"

Ralph S.
06-12-2003, 07:39 AM
Sparky, you started this thread about message board intentions and how they relate to pool. I noticed that there were seven &lt;7&gt; very good responses, and really no bashing to speak of, until the eighth &lt;8th&gt; responder to this thread posted. The eighth person? It was you Sparky, still complaing about being bashed.

I am not bashing you at all in this response. Just stating a fact. Go back through this thread and re-read all the responses. My opinion is that you feel some here are on a witch hunt. I coincidentally am trying to give that up /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Actually, I seriously doubt anyone is here or out to bash you. This is just a very opinionated group of people here, and many are set in their ways. Just deal with it, get over it, or whatever.