PDA

View Full Version : Taper

bott1637
06-10-2003, 05:17 PM
I haven't been able to find any resources on the taper of a cue. I've seen/heard Pro Taper used but what is that exactly. There seems to be an infinite number of ways to taper a stick so how can one know what they like exactly?

I have throughly enjoyed learning everything I can about cues from the posts on this board but this one topic still makes no sense to me.

Nick B
06-10-2003, 05:32 PM
A "Standard" Taper which looks like most House cues is linear...to paraphrase Webster:
1 a (1) : of, relating to, resembling, or having a graph that is a line and especially a straight line : STRAIGHT (2) : involving a single dimension b (1) : of the first degree with respect to one or more variables (2) : of, relating to, based on, or being linear equations, linear differential equations, linear functions, linear transformations, or linear algebra c.

I other words the shaft maintains a constant angle from ferrule to but-cap.

Pro Tapers usually start straight(from ferrule)for about 12-19" and then tapper outward from there.

Hope this helps.

Nick

Candyman
06-10-2003, 07:00 PM
He is a link from Shuler Cues that discribes a few of the tapers that are available. Hope this helps.

http://www.schulercue.com/SchulerShafts.htm#American

Nightstalker
06-10-2003, 07:02 PM
I think the standard pro taper is considered to be 13mm, but that taper sucks. Now that I think about it, every taper sucks. I can't think of a taper that I like right now. My cue has a 13mm "pro" taper, but I don't really like it and think it sucks. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif