PDA

View Full Version : Lighting

pooldaddy9
06-11-2003, 02:54 PM
Which is better lighting over a table,incadesent or fluorescent? I have 3 - 100 watt bulbs over my table and it seems to be OK. A friend of mine has flouresent bulbs over his table and they don't seem to have as much glare. Is there a preference in lighting?

Chris Cass
06-11-2003, 03:02 PM
Hi ya Pooldaddy,

I grew up on incadesent and believe that it is the best. Although they mostly use flouresent now days for cost effective reasons. Flouresent bulbs flicker and the incadesent is steady. IMO

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott Lee
06-11-2003, 08:17 PM
Although I am no engineer, flourescent and incandescent lights have a different light spectrum. One is red-light oriented, and one is blue-light oriented. The blue light (flourescent) is not as hard on the eyes (for most people), and preferred by most players, as it spreads a more even light pattern on the table. Those bulbs should only flicker if the ballast is not working properly (or the bulbs are about to burn out). BTW, flourescent light provides many more lumens (the measure of "light") than incandescent, with less wattage used. That's why most room owners prefer them. You buy electricity by the kilowatt.
It's probably another case of different strokes for different folks. I, myself, prefer flourescents.

Scott

Nick B
06-11-2003, 08:33 PM
Finally a topic I'm an expert at (lol)....the Engineer in me say florescent by miles.

1. Better coverage (aka points of light thus almost no shadowing.
2. Better energy efficiency.
3. Longer life.
4. Tough to dim but possible.
5. Better quality Florescents have almost perfect light spectrum.
6. "Standard" bulbs run hotter.

Nick

Candyman
06-11-2003, 08:58 PM
I agree with Scott. The flouresents are easier on the eyes. Test have been conducted in industrial and commercial environments and their test back this up. The "daylite" tubes seem to be very good and have been found to show true colors. These are used around areas where boxes are being packed. There are several type flouresent tubes and each has its own special purpose.

Incandesent bulbs that are operated on 120 volt AC can cause problems, such as headaches and fatigue when you are exposed to them for long periods at a time. They can also be very dangerous when used around machinery, such as lathes, mills, drill presses, etc. In the US we use 60 cycles in most all alternating current applications and here in lies the problem. The light is turning on and off 3600 times per minute. You can't see this occur because of the speed, but it becomes very noticable if you happen to turn a lathe chuck, end mill or drill at 3600rpm's. They will appear to be standing still. If you touch one of these devices, you will draw back a nub. The incandesent works just like a timing light at 3600 rpm's. I know we aren't doing any of this stuff around a pool table, but I just wanted to point out a couple of disadvantages.

Leviathan
06-12-2003, 05:05 AM
On a related point: I see the balls better in rooms that are well lighted all over than I do in dimly lit rooms with brightly illuminated tables. A dark room-bright table setup challenges your eyes to adapt to darkness and light at the same time, and they can't do it. You never see the balls perfectly under such conditions, and your vision gets worse as the night goes on--headache city. I prefer to play in well-lit rooms with light-colored walls.--D.M.

Predator314
06-12-2003, 06:09 AM
I prefer shooting under flourescent lights. They tend to have less shadows and glare.

I want one of the Diamond lighting systems ( Diamond Billiards (http://www.diamondbilliard.com) ). I've never shot under them, but I hear they are greeeeeeat! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Terry
06-12-2003, 06:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nick B:</font><hr>

5. Better quality Florescents have almost perfect light spectrum.
6. "Standard" bulbs run hotter.

Nick
<hr /></blockquote>

Hi Nick, How does one know if he is buying quality or standard bulbs? Terry

Alfie
06-12-2003, 12:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nick B:</font><hr> 4. Tough to dim but possible.<hr /></blockquote>by something other than shading?

DoomCue
06-12-2003, 12:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Predator314:</font><hr> I prefer shooting under flourescent lights. They tend to have less shadows and glare.

I want one of the Diamond lighting systems ( Diamond Billiards (http://www.diamondbilliard.com) ). I've never shot under them, but I hear they are greeeeeeat! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

IMHO, the Diamond light is best lighting system ever invented for pool. I had a Diamond Pro with their light system (sadly, the table has been sold), and after playing on GC's at my local room with their 6 crappy light bulbs per table, it was refreshing to play on such a well-lit table. The filters focus the light so that it goes straight down on the table. There are no shadows on the playing surface (except, of course, directly under the balls, and even those are much smaller than at my local room). The light coverage is so focused, that if I turned off the overhead light in my room and turned on the Diamond light, I wouldn't be able to read a sheet of paper 3 feet away from the table! The light only goes on the playing surface. By far the best table setup I've ever played on. I'm playing in the US Open this year, so hopefully I've gained an advantage by playing on the exact same setup they use there. Of course, I'd have a larger advantage if I could devote 12 hours a day to practice. Damn job....

Rod
06-12-2003, 06:34 PM
At one time I would have told you I prefered incadesent. The truth is now I prefer fluorescent. Reason being because of the even coverage it offers. That plus since my vision is not as good, I want it lit up like a christmas tree. LOL

tateuts
06-12-2003, 08:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooldaddy9:</font><hr> Which is better lighting over a table,incadesent or fluorescent? I have 3 - 100 watt bulbs over my table and it seems to be OK. A friend of mine has flouresent bulbs over his table and they don't seem to have as much glare. Is there a preference in lighting? <hr /></blockquote>

On my home table, I think I have the perfect lighting. It's a 5' long incandescent three bulb fixture with white glass shades, rimmed in brass, and with the large opaque white "globe" type bulbs (60 W). This way you get the area lighting similar to flourescent, but the "easy on your eyes" color of incandescent. I only get a small amount of shadow. The brass rims prevent the glass shades from getting cracked by an inadvertant collision with a stick.

I like having incandescent on my practice table, because a lot of pool rooms have this sort of lighting. Once someone gets used to flourescent lights, adapting to a dimly lit pool room with incandescent, with shadows, can be pretty difficult.

Chris

tateuts
06-12-2003, 11:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooldaddy9:</font><hr> Which is better lighting over a table,incadesent or fluorescent? I have 3 - 100 watt bulbs over my table and it seems to be OK. A friend of mine has flouresent bulbs over his table and they don't seem to have as much glare. Is there a preference in lighting? <hr /></blockquote>

Pooldaddy,

For about $3 per bulb, it's worth it to try the big white globe type bulbs, 60w, if they'll fit in your fixture. They're the ones that are about 4" in diameter. They actually give more diffused light than the 100 watt bulbs but no glare and very small shadow.

The 100 watts you have now are just too strong and will be hard on your eyes. Trust me on this, you'll like them.

Chris

pooldaddy9
06-13-2003, 04:20 AM
Oh yeah, I would love to have one of those Diamond lights over my table. Maybe when they come down in price or I can find a used one.
Where you play in Raleigh? I have played at Brass Taps, is it still there?

DoomCue
06-13-2003, 06:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooldaddy9:</font><hr> Oh yeah, I would love to have one of those Diamond lights over my table. Maybe when they come down in price or I can find a used one.
Where you play in Raleigh? I have played at Brass Taps, is it still there? <hr /></blockquote>
You sound like Paul Newman asking about Chalkie's in the Color of Money. Yeah man, Brass Tap is still there. What, is it gonna go somewhere? Some things never change....

Seriously, Brass Tap is definitely still there. They put on a couple of big tournaments every year, and since TC (the owner) is still pretty good friends with Johnny Archer (I'm sure most of you know he used to live here), Johnny'll usually come up to play in at least one of them. I don't know how long it's been since you've been here, but the Tap doubled in size recently. I don't go to the Tap that often anymore, only to play in tournaments. I spend most of my time in a room in Cary called Babineau's. Not a lot of action there, the biggest game you'll find is 2 &amp; 2 ring games and $20 sets to 7, but they've got the best equipment in Raleigh: GC IV's, Simonis 860, full bar, decent food, and it's clean and well-kept. Also, they're one of my sponsors for the US Open, so I get free practice time there! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif When I was younger, I enjoyed the Brass Tap kind of atmosphere. Now that I'm older, I prefer the upscale rooms. Hmm, wonder if maybe I'm getting TOO old....