PDA

View Full Version : What Is Luck?

TomBrooklyn
06-11-2003, 04:31 PM
Luck is preparation meeting opportunity.
Vince Lombardi
Football Coach

heater451
06-11-2003, 04:38 PM
So. . .would bad luck be 'preparation not meeting opportunity', or 'lack of preparation meeting opportunity'?

====================

highsea
06-11-2003, 04:42 PM
Or when your opponent breaks and runs out on you, but scratches on the 8 in a $20 game when you only have $10 in your pocket. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Sid_Vicious
06-11-2003, 05:19 PM
There's a different flavor of luck, and it defies statistics. I gotta a guy I enjoy playing cheap, and even losing to, because the guy simply invents happenings out of any cluster you give him(game being 9-ball)...it's a treat to simply see it happen. I know for a fact he's only played the sport for 2 maybe three years, but this guy is amazing. I know, I know you are thinking he's a sleeper just holding back. Not the case, he's just developed the belief that he'll smack a long combo or hit a cluster and BAM! sh$t falls in. Now THAT is unbelievable luck, not the kind Vince spoke of, and it's probably happening as I speak down at the PH...sid

Tom_In_Cincy
06-11-2003, 05:40 PM
BAD Luck?
When Preparation meets opportunity and opportunity is Efern.

06-11-2003, 05:46 PM
Sid,

I believe the pool gods have a soft spot for those who sometimes take the blind leap of faith, forsaking the 2-way shot ... .

stickman
06-12-2003, 05:44 AM
I believe that in many cases a person makes their own luck, but then there is what I refer to as dumb luck. Preparation has nothing to do with this type of luck.

You hook a lower skilled player in a game of 9ball. He kicks at his ball and amazingly hits it. It goes two rails to the middle of the table, where it hits the 9ball and knocks it directly into the corner pocket.~~~~No preparation, just dumb luck. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Sometimes we all have a little dumb luck, but it's nothing to count on. I'd rather count on preparation.

bluewolf
06-12-2003, 06:56 AM
Luck is---when there is no logical explanation for the outcome of something.

Laura

Kato
06-12-2003, 11:57 AM
Since I have no good luck I can't answer. Bad luck is playing someone and them beating you by breaking in 3 9's on the break and 4 1-9 combo's. Ask me about bad luck.

Kato

Sid_Vicious
06-12-2003, 12:05 PM
"beating you by breaking in 3 9's on the break"

My teammates play some cheap partner's 9-ball races to 4($10 a stick) and one of the guys snapped 3 9's in a row during one of those sets. A skunk pays double, so you can imagine that his partner was grinning after the 3rd one fell. The player making the snaps is the best breaker on the team though, so Vince's quote fits a little bit here...sid

RedHell
06-12-2003, 02:43 PM
Luck is:

When my opponents pots a ball in an unexpected pocket, hit 2 or 3 balls with the QB and get perfect postion for the next.

If that happens to me, it's called talent /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But seriously. I have a friend I play against, that when facing a tough shot or simply no shots at all, will always hit them as hard as he can. On regular bases, and I mean regular, 4 time out of 5, he will get a ball in and position. He is to me the luckiest man I have ever seen on a pool table.

We were discussing his luck last tuesday after a match where at 8-8 on a race to nine, he potted the 8 and the 9 in unexpected pockets. And I told him:

" You know, I can't believe how lucky you are, but for one thing I can understand why I'm not as lucky as you. It's simple, I play most of my shots at pocket speed, so if it's not going in, it ain't bouncing in another pocket !!!"