PDA

View Full Version : CCB Tournament Charts & Forms

Mr Ingrate
06-11-2003, 07:09 PM
After discussions with Tom_in_Sacktown and my Assistant Tournament Directors, 9 Ball Girl, WesK, and Mrs. Rich R. (Cathy) here is what we hope to present at the CCB fun tournament.

There will be 16 scotch doubles teams who will play 15 rounds with two games of 9-ball for each match in a round. New partners will be assigned for each round. Because of the alternating partners, there may be one or more persons you do not have as a partner or opponent, however, switching partners each round will ensure that a “powerhouse” team doesn’t kill everyone. In any case, you will always have a different partner each round and you will never play the same team more than once although you may face an individual more than once.

Changing partners each round is not without its problems. It is imparative that there are 16 teams, or at least an even number of teams; ie 10, 12, 14, because byes don’t work in this situation.

To help this go as smoothly as possible we have put together a tournament document for 16 teams which you can peruse with Adobe Acrobat. You can look at the form by clicking here (http://www3.telus.net/syrja/ccb/ccb_tourney.pdf). Right click to save it on your computer so you can review it at your leisure. The form is interactive. Once the names are drawn and entered the rest is automatic. You can see that all partnerships are automatically calculated for all rounds once the names are entered in the summary sheet. Try it out yourself. We will do preparation for a lesser number of teams than 16, just in case.

If anyone has any comments contact me ASAP at dave@syrja.net .

To get a name tag please send me an email or private message with the following:

1. CCB Handle
2. Real name (optional)
3. Custom graphic (optional)
4. Location (optional)
5. Snail Mail Address (I’m going to mail them to you so you have them before you leave for the US Open. Hopefully you’ll wear them at the open in addition to the CCB Tournament AND I don’t want any hassles at the border which I could have carrying a lot of name tags).

Here is the name tag list to date.

Chris Cass
Karatemom
Spike
Socrates
Deeman
Brian in VA
cueball1950
Rich R.
Mrs. Rich R.
Wally in Cincy
Kato
phil in sofla
Voodoo Daddy
Eric
pooldaddy9
9 Ball Girl
Ross Ulmer
JMD in VA

~~~ 10 more posts ~~~

pooldaddy9
06-11-2003, 07:54 PM
Sounds good,can hardly wait.

Karatemom
06-11-2003, 09:18 PM
Dave, you have done such a wonderful job with this. I'm not so sure I can wait about 3 more months for all this.

Heide

cueball1950
06-11-2003, 11:23 PM
I must be slow Dave...but how do you figure the winners....since it is scotch doubles are there 2 winners...this format has me confused. if you are always changing partners how do you determine the winner or winners. I have never seen this type of format before. Therefore it confuses me..sorry for the questions....Mike

Kato
06-12-2003, 05:51 AM
Maybe everyone is a winner? Maybe we just vote for it? Maybe we lag? Maybe it's just the last person standing? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato~~~can't win, does vote, lags a little, will fall down

Tom_In_Cincy
06-12-2003, 05:55 AM
Mike,

The 1st and 2nd place winners will be determined by the number of wins in the 15 matches.

If there is a tie, well, that's life. This is a CCB tournament and we aren't sanctioned by the UPA. There isn't any cash involved. Just very nice trophies donated by Cueball1950

Mr Ingrate
06-12-2003, 09:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cueball1950:</font><hr> I must be slow Dave...but how do you figure the winners....since it is scotch doubles are there 2 winners...this format has me confused. if you are always changing partners how do you determine the winner or winners. I have never seen this type of format before. Therefore it confuses me..sorry for the questions....Mike <hr /></blockquote>

Mike,

Scores will be recorded for each player in the summary sheet. Should you and your partner win both games you will get 2 points each for the round. The player with the most total points wins. Should we have some ties, we could do something like a spot shot shootout to determine winners, if it seems necessary.

I'm not sure that this type of format has been done before, but it should be a lot of fun.

Kato
06-12-2003, 10:08 AM
Dave, surely you jest. A beer drinking contest should determine the winner in case of a tie.

Kato~~~thank you for your time. Here Cueball1950, have a Tailsman Tip.

Ross
06-12-2003, 10:08 AM
Dave, great work! Maybe Barry could sign you up to run the US Open! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

However, I do strongly recommend one modification, if you think time will permit. To end the tourny with some drama I suggest that the top two scorers at the conclusion of the scotch doubles have a heads up match (say race to 5 or 7) to determine the CCB Tourney II winner. It would likely be an exciting match since they will probably be fairly strong players. The rest of us CCB'ers will provide an audience that can cheer, boo, and otherwise be a pain in the ass as a group, while imbibing our preferred beverages. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif And of course the match will give all of us a common experience to retell and exaggerate for months to come.

Without this final match, it is possible that the end will be a bit anticlimatic. For example, one of the players may have an insurmountable lead a match or two before the end of the scotch doubles. Then there is no drama at the end. And even if it comes down to the last scotch doubles match that determines the winner, most of us won't be able to watch the deciding games since we will be playing our matches on other tables.

I really think a final playoff match would add a lot to the tourney. What do others think?

Mr Ingrate
06-12-2003, 10:56 AM
Ross,

I think a lot will depend on the number of tables and time we have available.

But, as food for thought, who says the winners have to be the ones with the most points? What if we drew numbers (1-32) out of a hand and award prizes to the players who finished in those positions? Still, I suppose, the actual high point player should get some recognition.

However, I'm only handling the mechanics of the tournament, not the awarding of the prizes.

9 Ball Girl
06-12-2003, 11:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Dave, surely you jest. A beer drinking contest should determine the winner in case of a tie.
<hr /></blockquote>

This is why I love Kato. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

9 Ball Girl
06-12-2003, 11:17 AM
Yes! I love the idea of having the Scoth partner winners go against each other to determine the CCBII winner. Even better would be the woofing from the spectators!

Wendy&lt;---is sure she'll be a spectator--right there with Kato! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Rich R.
06-12-2003, 11:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Dave, surely you jest. A beer drinking contest should determine the winner in case of a tie.<hr /></blockquote>
Chug-a-lug, Chug-a-lug.

It's been a while, I have to go practice. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ross
06-12-2003, 01:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Mr Ingrate:</font><hr> Ross,

I think a lot will depend on the number of tables and time we have available.

But, as food for thought, who says the winners have to be the ones with the most points? What if we drew numbers (1-32) out of a hand and award prizes to the players who finished in those positions? Still, I suppose, the actual high point player should get some recognition.

However, I'm only handling the mechanics of the tournament, not the awarding of the prizes. <hr /></blockquote>

I think the goals of the new format this year were to make the CCB tourney a bit more low key and social and also to reduce the incentive for a "ringer" to enter just to rob us. The scotch doubles format and mostly random* door prizes accomplishes this admirably, IMO.

That being said, I'm pretty sure that most of us, whatever our level, enjoy the competitive aspect of pool as well, both as participants and as spectators. So I personally would vote for some sort of prize for the competition winner. It could just be a nice trophy/plaque paid for with some of the donated money, or maybe one of the other generously donated prizes, or both.

After all, if you are best of the CCB'ers that day, you deserve something!

*although I hear the fix is in on the door prizes /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato
06-12-2003, 01:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ross:</font><hr>
*although I hear the fix is in on the door prizes /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<hr /></blockquote>

What on earth gave you that idea Ross?

Psst. What do you want? 25 new tips, Ultimate Tip Tool, or 1 year subscription to Inside Pool? Whatever you want buddy.

Kato~~~completely innocent unlike 9-ball Girl. She's a really bad influence on me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
06-12-2003, 02:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Kato~~~completely innocent unlike 9-ball Girl. She's a really bad influence on me <hr /></blockquote>

Remember this my little yellow friend...

The keeper of the donations has to hand you the 'door prize' FIRST, then you can do the random give-away. LOL..

Donations are still being accepted. (I have my eye on the Talisman 2x4 cue case, but I'll settle for a hug from Wendy)

9 Ball Girl
06-12-2003, 02:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Kato~~~completely innocent unlike 9-ball Girl. She's a really bad influence on me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Dammit! What gave me away? Was it the tattoos? Specifically the tiger? He does tend to be at "attention" if the room is airconditioned as it was last year... /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Wendy&lt;--will whip Kato into shape in no time at all! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

9 Ball Girl
06-12-2003, 02:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr>(I have my eye on the Talisman 2x4 cue case, but I'll settle for a hug from Wendy)

<hr /></blockquote>

Tom, a hug from you any day is just a step closer to heaven... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Karatemom
06-12-2003, 02:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Dave, surely you jest. A beer drinking contest should determine the winner in case of a tie.<hr /></blockquote>Well, that leaves Chris out. CC can't even hold on to a beer long enough to get it in his mouth! hahahahaha.

Heide ~ might have one beer, don't care if I win or lose

Wally_in_Cincy
06-13-2003, 06:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ross:</font><hr> I think the goals of the new format this year were to make the CCB tourney a bit more low key and social and also to reduce the incentive for a "ringer" to enter just to rob us. The scotch doubles format and mostly random* door prizes accomplishes this admirably, IMO.

That being said, I'm pretty sure that most of us, whatever our level, enjoy the competitive aspect of pool as well, both as participants and as spectators. <font color="red"> So I personally would vote for some sort of prize for the competition winner.</font color> It could just be a nice trophy/plaque paid for with some of the donated money, or maybe one of the other generously donated prizes, or both.

After all, if you are best of the CCB'ers that day, you deserve something! <hr /></blockquote>

I agree. I think that's what cueball-1950's trophies are for. Right?

Wally~~knows he won't be gettin' no trophy in this crowd of killers /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

9 Ball Girl
06-13-2003, 08:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Wally~~knows he won't be gettin' no trophy in this crowd of killers /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Wendy&lt;---will be sharking Wally to death! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif