PDA

View Full Version : Sleeper cuemakers

03-28-2002, 05:00 PM
My list of not-so-bignamed cuemakers who make very good cues.
Jeff Olney, Ed Pruitt, Zylr, Jer of Blackheart , Barringer cues and Sheldon Lebow.

BillPorter
03-28-2002, 08:49 PM
How about Mike Johnson in Baton Rouge...maker of Jensen cues.

Troy
03-28-2002, 08:54 PM
Ted Kidwell, now in Reno, NV, previously in the San Jose, CA area.

Barbara
03-28-2002, 09:47 PM
Art Cantando in the Philly area. Sweet looking cues! He "learned some" from Barry Szamboti.

And Mike Capone from Trenton, NJ. But he's geting known.

Barbara

Rich R.
03-29-2002, 07:45 AM
Bob Frey in the Baltimore area, I think Catonsville. He worked with Tim Scruggs at one time and he makes an excellent cue. I believe Barbara has recently received a Bob Frey cue. Rich R.

03-29-2002, 08:05 AM
There are good cuemakers no matter where you go. I prefer Ted Harris and Guido Orlandi. Guido could have been a comedian because he is a very funny guy.

Barbara
03-29-2002, 06:15 PM
Yes!! Santa got me one of his break cues, which hits a ton with the 14mm shaft! Plus, Santa said that Bob was a pleasure to deal with and Santa was accidently overcharged for this cue without knowing it and Bob hunted him down to return the overcharge. Now that's a credit BIG TIME to his reputation!

And as for Greg, I have a Ted Harris SP made of cocobolo and maple. I use it for my bar league and sometimes I have to flip in Vegas as to which cue I'm going play with.

Barbara~~~won't let her bar team break with the Frey, the ole Falcon is good enough for them...

Harold Acosta
03-29-2002, 08:44 PM
Joe Sanko at www.sankocues.com (http://www.sankocues.com) from Naples, Florida.

bell
03-29-2002, 08:46 PM
"Little Al" Romero at Hardtimes in Bellflower, CA. Best SP's in the west. On the east coast, a real sleeper, Gary Wright of Cousins Custom Cues, VA. Excellent sticks and service.

03-29-2002, 08:58 PM
I thought Cousins closed. I guess they moved.

03-30-2002, 11:21 PM
I can personally attest to Jeff Olneys work. I own two Olney cues and I could not be more pleased. Jeff is a first rate cue maker and a gentleman to boot.

03-31-2002, 06:27 PM
Steve Bailey from Phelan, CA. He's a B.C.A. instructor as well as a great cuemaker. His contact information can be found at http://www.bca-pool.com/play/. Excellent playability and workmanship. He's also one helluva nice guy. If you need another endorsement, ask John Schmidt about Steve's cues.

03-31-2002, 06:55 PM
i heard he makes a good cue. this was from 5 or 6 years ago.

03-31-2002, 07:27 PM
Ed Prewitt works in Sta Monica, near L.A. He just stole the show in Hopkinns' expo. He creates the best silver work around. He even uses them as points. It's too hard to get a hold of him now. His waiting is about two years now due to orders from Japan.

Wally_in_Cincy
04-02-2002, 07:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Barbara:</font><hr> Art Cantando in the Philly area. Sweet looking cues! He "learned some" from Barry Szamboti.

And Mike Capone from Trenton, NJ. But he's geting known.

Barbara

<hr></blockquote>

Doesn't Mika use a Capone? That's pretty high-profile exposure I'd say.

04-02-2002, 06:15 PM
If you would like to get ahold of him, his e-mail address is prewittcues@hotmail.com

My boyfriend and I both play with one, and I am buying another one this weekend. I used to play with a Schon (sp?), but once I played with one of Ed's cues, I doubt I will play with another (unless it is another Prewitt).

If you e-mail Prewitt and let him know you are interested in seeing his works, he will e-mail you nice quality pictures right away.

Melissa in CA - Loyal Prewitt user

Cueless Joey
04-02-2002, 07:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Melissa in CA:</font><hr> If you would like to get ahold of him, his e-mail address is prewittcues@hotmail.com

My boyfriend and I both play with one, and I am buying another one this weekend. I used to play with a Schon (sp?), but once I played with one of Ed's cues, I doubt I will play with another (unless it is another Prewitt).

If you e-mail Prewitt and let him know you are interested in seeing his works, he will e-mail you nice quality pictures right away.

Melissa in CA - Loyal Prewitt user <hr></blockquote>..............
Melissa, this weekend? You mean he has cues available? /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
Are you getting the one with the phenolic joint or stainless steel? Ed's leather work and silver work is awesome. The solidness of his cues are second to none.

04-03-2002, 07:52 PM
Yes this weekend. I don't know what he has available right now...I ordered this from him awhile ago. But I believe he might still have a few from the Expo, and I know he has recently started a new batch.

Mine will not have the stainless steel joint since I wanted to keep the cue as light as possible.

And yes, his silver work is absolutely gorgeous. A friend of mine just came to me and asked me if I knew who Prewitt was. He had 2 other friends who bought cues from Prewitt at the Expo in PA, and he thought they were exquisite. When I told him I played with a Prewitt, we got into a pretty long discussion and he is now interested in buying one. Prewitt isn't all that well known yet, but he will be because he makes an excellent product, both in looks and utility.

melissa

04-03-2002, 08:40 PM
I bought a Ted Harris cue at the Derby City Classic last year and I love it! It has a very quiet, very stiff hit.

Chuck G.&lt; Put his Southwest away after using the Ted Harris cue....

04-03-2002, 08:47 PM
David Tice, in Leavenworth, Washington. He makes some of the best cues I've seen.

I played with one myself, until I decided to buy a Cognoscenti. I had been wanting one for a long time, and finally got to where it was reasonable for me to afford it. In fact, I have two of them now! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

PoolFan
04-04-2002, 10:22 AM
My vote for not-so-bignamed cuemaker is Mike Webb in Rhode Island. Mike has been making cues for about 6-7 years and has been doing cue repairs for years more.

He worked with and learned from with Paul Drexler of CT and the boys from Samsara cues who used to be located in NH. He builds fantastic cues, he's great with customers and backs his work.

Check out his website at www.webbcues.com (http://www.webbcues.com)

cuechick
04-04-2002, 10:38 AM
I got my cue a little over a year ago and LOVE it. It plays great, has beautiful balance and I can not come close to telling you how many people have asked me about it. It is really beautiful! Mika played with it and did not want to give it back! Many have asked if it's a Southwest, I have seen to cheap imitations but they do not come close.

04-04-2002, 12:12 PM
Roland Becker of Fort Collins, Colorado
Danny Vargas of Fort Collins, Colorado
Gale Clark of Denver, Colorado
Terry McFadden of Denver, Colorado
Franz Hauber of Schwaebisch Hall, Germany
Jim Waugh of Spokane, Washington
Ted Harris, of Maryland?? (not so much a sleeper anymore)

My 02cts,

04-04-2002, 12:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: BillPorter:</font><hr> How about Mike Johnson in Baton Rouge...maker of Jensen cues. <hr></blockquote>

Hey, He owes me a cue! Probably doesn't remember though.

Jensens are definitely one of the best hitting cues out there. Funny that they have been around for so long but are still under the national radar.

04-04-2002, 12:33 PM
I purchased a couple Sheldon Lebow cues a couple years or so ago. They hit great.
The only sticks I use now and have since stopped purchasing production cues.

He made with the 2 butts, 5 shafts between them, all interchangable. The best shaft
being a dark maple shaft. The next cue I order will have a dark maple shaft as well.
They seem to be more durable and a bit stiffer.

Ww

04-04-2002, 08:23 PM
Hey john,

I've never heard of Becker, Vargas, or McFadden....how long have they been making cues? How would you compare what they do to the big names? I guess I'll include Ernie Martinez amongst the great cuemakers...I play with his cue and really love it (Southwest sits in closet).

Regards,

Doug

LC3
04-07-2002, 01:19 PM
I have two DZ Cues, made by Bob Dzuricky of Erie, PA. They both have stiff, quiet hits and look great too.