PDA

View Full Version : SET PAUSE FINISH FREEZE

bluewolf
06-12-2003, 01:13 PM
After taking lessons with Scott and Randy Gs Pool School, I literally have the teeshirt.

Have struggled off and on with handshakes. I watched Nick Varner. Seems he has bad shakes on the backswing, I have them on going back and forward.

Since I have been losing to people who I have beaten before as a result of this, playing seemed kind of pointless except just to see my friends on my team.

Somehow I discovered something I thought was new. Probably isnt. I was able to hit the ball with no preshot (which was causing my stroke to wobble), just set pause complete finish freeze. Pull back based on planned ball speed.So much for not thinking. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

It seems kinda weird but at least I can hit and pocket some of the balls. I kind of wonder if any of you have known anyone who plays this way.

Laura

UTAddb
06-12-2003, 01:26 PM
It seems like Scott's and Randy G's methods are conflicting. Scott teaches you to pause at the cue ball only, then hit your normal stroke. Randy G teaches a pause at the CB and the backstroke (which I don't like).

Tom_In_Cincy
06-12-2003, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I kind of wonder if any of you have known anyone who plays this way.
<hr /></blockquote>

Allen Hopkins.... and it drives me crazy.. because he is sooo very good at it..

Karatemom
06-12-2003, 02:29 PM
There's a lady out here who shoots like that, too. She'll study the shot, then get down, and no sooner is she down on the ball and the cb is gone! I don't know how in the heck she makes as many balls as she does, but I guess if it works, don't fix it, right?

Heide ~ couldn't hit the broad side of a barn unless I sat and aimed for half an hour!

Scott Lee
06-12-2003, 07:36 PM
Dustin...Actually, our techniques are fairly similar. You HAVE to pause slightly at the end of the backswing, to change direction from the backswing to the forward stroke.
Randy teaches a slightly longer pause, at the end of the backswing, but it's not THAT long. I don't really consider them to be conflicting ideas, as they both work well, depending on the student. The double pause works well for Allison, and nobody can deny that she is a champion player, with a VERY accurate swing, stroke, and timing. For myself, and my students, I RECOMMEND just a slight hesitation to change direction, but I don't DEMAND you do it my way...much the same as I don't DEMAND that you look at the CB on contact (like I do), as opposed to looking at the OB last. I suggest it, explain why I believe it's more practical for many students, and demonstrate it myself. Any student is then free to use whichever technique seems to work best for them. Often, students use both techniques, depending on the shot, and the table situation.

Scott Lee

UTAddb
06-12-2003, 11:05 PM
Cool, thanks for clarifying that.

06-13-2003, 07:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> After taking lessons with Scott and Randy Gs Pool School, I literally have the teeshirt.

Have struggled off and on with handshakes. I watched Nick Varner. Seems he has bad shakes on the backswing, I have them on going back and forward.

Since I have been losing to people who I have beaten before as a result of this, playing seemed kind of pointless except just to see my friends on my team.

Somehow I discovered something I thought was new. Probably isnt. I was able to hit the ball with no preshot (which was causing my stroke to wobble), just set pause complete finish freeze. Pull back based on planned ball speed.So much for not thinking. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

It seems kinda weird but at least I can hit and pocket some of the balls. I kind of wonder if any of you have known anyone who plays this way.

Laura <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Laura, there are a couple of trick shot shooters, Artistic players who use this method. I have seen both, and they are very effective at it. A writer for Billiards Digest, Willie Jopling and the showman Fast Larry.
The Ice Mon

Michelle
06-13-2003, 11:48 AM
I also think that Randy teaches a longer pause as a way to commit that pause to your "route memory," and then you have the ability to shorten that pause as needed for your game.

wolfdancer
06-13-2003, 11:56 AM
Scott, I'm thinking that Laura doesn't need any more pool lessons, for the near future...what she needs now are driving lessons.... lol

phil in sofla
06-13-2003, 02:20 PM
Jimmy Reid uses the no-stroke or one-stroke exercise as a way to train you to get your line standing up, and then trust it once you've stepped into/swung down on or however you go from standing to stroking position.

Theoretically, once you have the experience and practice of getting on the line of the shot standing up, and can accurately get down on that line, you don't actually need to do any aiming anyway during the practice strokes, just pre-stroking to get the speed of the shot in mind, and checking and rechecking the line before you pull the trigger.

You can check and re-check the line without practice stroking at all, and with the trust in your line, just execute the shot with a single pull back and stroke.

Reid doesn't advocate this as anything but an exercise, not a standard way to play. I've only used it occasionally on the BREAK. Not bad, but I prefer the normal pre-shot practice stroking there as well, for myself.

06-14-2003, 12:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Scott, I'm thinking that Laura doesn't need any more pool lessons, for the near future...what she needs now are driving lessons.... lol
<hr /></blockquote>

What a unkind and cruel joke, Nascar drivers flip cars, every year as many people that died in Vietnam die on the roads, mostly from cars that flip or roll. That fact that you survived and are Ok lady is great, that is no joking matter.
The Ice Mon

Sid_Vicious
06-14-2003, 02:46 AM
Yea Hopkins pokes-pokes, damned
it's why I coast through it effortlersss. I can still expect to beat Allen's ass

06-14-2003, 08:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> After taking lessons with Scott and Randy Gs Pool School, I literally have the teeshirt.

<font color="blue"> Oh yeah,are you an SL 3 now?</font color>

Somehow I discovered something I thought was new. Probably isnt. I was able to hit the ball with no preshot (which was causing my stroke to wobble), just set pause complete finish freeze. Pull back based on planned ball speed.So much for not thinking. <font color="blue">And not talking too </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Laura <hr /></blockquote>

bluewolf
06-14-2003, 01:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote YappingWolf:</font><hr> Oh yeah,are you an SL 3 now?</font color>

<hr /></blockquote>
SLXYZ

YW, I do look forward to your posts. You are nothing if not funny. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Laura