PDA

View Full Version : ball weights & dimensions

ras314
06-12-2003, 05:13 PM
I am confused obout the weights and sizes of the various cb. I weighed the red circle and a valley magnetic, both were 6 oz. If I remember Scott Lee aright the blue circle is lighter, even lighter than the ob in the Brunswick set.

The red circle measured 2.253 in, vally 2.249.

Anyway has anyone else ckecked sizes and weights?

Rod
06-12-2003, 06:12 PM
Your weight scale is off or not accurate to smaller incriments. The red c is definately lighter at 5.63 oz appx. Do a search in the archives for ball weights. This has been discussed many times before.

~~~ Rod, to lazy to find his notes

ras314
06-12-2003, 09:54 PM
My scale, a balance type, has 1/4 oz resolution. So you are probably right although the red circle and magnetic seemed very close in weight. Both are lighter than the local bar box's cb and play much different.

I find very little info in a search for ball weights, but will keep trying.

Thanks

06-13-2003, 07:07 AM
The red circle cue ball is lighter & smaller slightly than the blue circle with a nicer finish which is why it out draws the blue circle.
The Ice Mon

Fred Agnir
06-13-2003, 07:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> I am confused obout the weights and sizes of the various cb. I weighed the red circle and a valley magnetic, both were 6 oz. <hr /></blockquote>

Try a higher resolution scale. The Red Circle usually hovers closer to 5.5- 5.7 oz. The Blue Circle supposedly (according to the manufacturer) is made to target the (presumed) nominal 5.75 oz.

[ QUOTE ]
If I remember Scott Lee aright the blue circle is lighter, even lighter than the ob in the Brunswick set.<hr /></blockquote> That's not what Saluc of Belgium told me in an e-mail. They specifically said that the cueballs and object ball sets are made to the same specs.

[ QUOTE ]
The red circle measured 2.253 in, vally 2.249

Anyway has anyone else ckecked sizes and weights? <hr /></blockquote>Many times. Balls are manufactured with tolerances in mind. So, both measurements you show are within the 2.250 +/- .005" BCA specifications.

Cueballs get smaller over time since they get hit the most. One of my old cueballs (Brunswick Centennial Blue dot) is much less than the lowest allowable diameter (&lt; 2.245".)

Fred

ras314
06-13-2003, 02:36 PM
So far here's what I've found (besides a lot of words with no measurements).

Ras314 ......red circle 2.253 dia
Rod ........ red circle 5.63 oz approx
Dzuricky ... Blue circle #1 5.9224 oz 2.2500 dia
... Blue circle #2 5.9118 oz 2.2470 dia
... red circle 5.7848 oz 2.2425 dia

Doubt all these decimal places are valid nor necessary. Apparently there is considerable variation in size and weight for the same seires of cb.

Rod
06-13-2003, 04:42 PM
What you will find is balls wear out. You will get a lot of different sizes and weights depending on age. A std ball size is 2.250 new. Saluc Mfg's Centenials and Arimith Pro's to slightly different weight specs but the size remains at 2.250. I weighed 7 new Red C they varied in weight from 5.63 oz to 5.66 oz. I weighed 6 (less than a year old) Blue C they come in at 5.68 to 5.70 oz. All balls in my Aramith Pro set are 2.250, there in new condition. New Centenials measure the same. Like I said I don't know what instruments you are using and if they are calibrated.

I weighed many balls and ball sets. What I've found is most rooms have worn out and out of round balls. I've measured balls .020 out of round and .035 smaller in diameter.

This question has been around for years. Usually because someone says a Blue draws/follows easier than a Red or vise versa. Then comes the comparison to the Valley, which is heavier. Depending on which one you grab it might be 5.85 oz. You'll never know unless you take your micrometer or dial indicator calipers in and measure. The bottom of a straight wood rack can be used to find smaller balls.

The Blue is heavier than the red. However if you go into a room you can't positively assume anything. It may be a new c/b and half worn out o/balls. Sometimes there might even be an old ball in a new set if one was stolen. There is all kinds of combinations so c/b reaction can vary. The only way to tell such small differences in feel is have a constant. That would be a new ball set. BTW most people haven't a clue even if you switched balls. If the blue and red had their circles missing few would know the difference. It's good for your reference and it appears you couldn't tell the difference. A couple of follow and draw shots with both balls will easily show the difference between a Valley and Red C ball.

Rod