PDA

View Full Version : Starting a Pool Hall

06-13-2003, 09:42 AM
I am thinking about starting my own Pool Hall. Will someone who is associated with the business please advise
me on the do's and don't. What are the odds of getting a business loan? What is better a big hall or a small one?
Presently 2 halls exsist in my town. I think this town can survive with another smaller hall, that is what I'm shooting for.
Thanks in Advance

pooltchr
06-13-2003, 10:19 AM
contact the BCA
www.bca-pool.com (http://www.bca-pool.com)
They have a room operator's manual that would be very helpful in planning it all out before you spend a lot of money in the wrong areas.

06-14-2003, 12:12 AM
Most lending institutions rely on revenue figures, and perhaps more importantly, cash flow figures. A business plan must be done up that lists both of these. List all the expenses for start up, including any fixtures outlay, inventory costs, leashold improvements, rent and rental deposits, etc. That is your start up cash requirement. Then you must show when cash comes in, from sales, and rentals, and must show when cash goes out, for bills, rent, staff, etc..This is your cash flow. Any dollars you need loaned to get started is listed here, showing where it will be spent, and showing when the business will become self sustaining. You must show figures(revenue) that you expect to generate, and when, and show these amounts being inserted into your cash flow projections. Hopefully the lender agrees, and will work with you. This is a very simplified overview, and does not include amounts like interest on loans, insurance premiums, costs associated with civil requirements, etc, but is basically what is needed.

In my experience almost any locale can use another hall, but only you can comment on that in your community. Recently I wrote many many pages to a gentleman in Chicago, who is interested in the same thing. If you supply your email, I could send you all this information. The key to the pool business is to provide customer service, as with many businesses. It can be done for a very low investment, if you want to be a small operation, and still generate a comfortable living. I would rather not share any of the secrets publicly, but would be happy to send you these recent emails. Most people unfortunately are sadly in the dark as to the actual pulse of the pool business. Cater to the average players, and worry not about the top guys, even though they will be the ones inundating you with their ideas. Good luck to you sir, I wish you the very best.

06-16-2003, 07:53 AM
Journeyman, I would love the info u have to offer,
my email is pooljunkie4ever@yahoo.com.
Thanks in advance

jaymet
04-05-2007, 12:56 PM
Hi! Can you please send me info, too at jaymetrust@hotmail.com. I would greatly appreciate it because I'm doing the research to open one too catering to high school students.

Deeman3
04-05-2007, 01:24 PM
Guys,

Usually a few people on here give warnings on opening pool halls. I am all for you and hope you do as suggested and make a good business case and decide on that, other than your pure "love of the game". My one recommendation, if possible, is to work in a pool hall for a while before you make such an investment or make friends with a guy like Wolfdancer who has seen every possible bad and good move made by people in the business.

Best of Luck!

SpiderMan
04-05-2007, 03:39 PM
I don't think the guy you are replying to will read your post. His question was posted four years ago, and he's no longer a registered user. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jjinfla
04-05-2007, 09:24 PM
LOL

I wonder if he ever opened that pool hall.

Jake