PDA

View Full Version : Belt, Bag, and Harness for Crash Protection

SpiderMan
06-13-2003, 10:07 AM
Everyone knows someone who doesn't "buckle up", whether for convenience or fear of being "cut in half" by a seat belt. Personally, I'm a habitual wearer of the safety harness.

Wednesday night I was involved in my first-ever serious auto accident, head-on with an 18-wheeler that started a turn across my lane. It was like hitting a brick wall - I came to a dead stop from 35 MPH in about 5 feet. Mt truck was destroyed, the only thing not bent is the tailgate:

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/funkychateau/vwp?.dir=/Yahoo!+Photo+Album&.src=ph&.dnm=truck.jpg&.view=t& .done

Note there's no front wheel - the spindles snapped off at the ball joints.

I was wearing a belt and harness, my air bag deployed, and I WALKED away from the accident with only a bloody nose, scrapes and bruises, and one broken finger where my hand hit the windshield. The harness left a wide bruise across my chest and collarbone, but it's a lot less than the dashboard would have done to my face. I hurt all over, but I can play pool (sort of, the cast is on my bridge hand):

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/funkychateau/vwp?.dir=/Yahoo!+Photo+Album&.src=ph&.dnm=hand.jpg&.view=t&. done

Of couse, the safest bet is to drive something really big - the other driver may or may not have spilled his coffee /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

SpiderMan

Rich R.
06-13-2003, 10:14 AM
You are one lucky guy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It is nice to be around and able to talk about a crash like that.
Happy to still have you here.

eg8r
06-13-2003, 10:18 AM
Ouch. That looks nasty. I am happy you got out as well as you did, and hope for a speedy recovery. I also wear my seat belt everytime I get in the car.

eg8r

Nightstalker
06-13-2003, 10:19 AM
Glad to hear that you are still alive.

pooldaddy9
06-13-2003, 10:20 AM
WOW, great to hear you came out of that with no more injuries than what you got. I wear my belt most of the time, but will surely try to start wearing it all the time.

Barbara
06-13-2003, 10:22 AM
Wow Spidey!! I'm sure glad you're okay!!

I'm been wearing my seatbelt ever since I got rear-ended by a 10-ton oil truck 20 years ago and my face hit the steering wheel but since the truck was only going 20mph, I didn't break anything, thank God.

I have this cushion that velcros over the seatbelt to make if more comfortable when I wear it. You can get them at any auto store.

I hope you get a new ride soon!

Barbara

WesK
06-13-2003, 10:56 AM
Damn.

I am glad to see that you are OK.

wes

Kato
06-13-2003, 11:04 AM
Marty, good to see you're doing ok. I myself also wear my safety belt. If it would have been me instead of you I'd probably be dead though. My 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT is probably not quite as tough as your Dodge Ram.

Kato~~~thinks.......knows his next car will be a truck.

9 Ball Girl
06-13-2003, 11:07 AM
What is this? The month of accidents? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I'm glad you're ok, Spidey. Hope for a speedy recovery.

Wendy<---always wears her seatbelt. Always.

Fred Agnir
06-13-2003, 11:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr>
Wendy&lt;---always wears her seatbelt. Always. <hr /></blockquote>
Me too. It took a while, but now that I've been wearing one for so long, it's second nature.

I picked up my daughter from school yesterday after a field trip. They were running late, so I sat in the parking lot, in my truck, with the engine off, and read a book for an hour... with my seat belt firmly buckled.

Fred

Rod
06-13-2003, 11:28 AM
Spidey,
Glad to hear you come throught it all. Your truck really took it in the shorts. I can see it had to of wrinkled even past the cab the way that door is pushed back. Thank heavens cars/trucks are built to colapse in areas to absorb some of that energy. Your hands look strange, you have 4 fingers on each but no thumbs! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I've had several crashes one worst and one similar to yours. No air bags at the time but I was bruised pretty good around my waist from the seat belt. I matched up wrong, LOL my little Celica needed weight against a big chevrolet. You needed a lot of weight. Glad to hear your ok.

Rod

nAz
06-13-2003, 11:34 AM
Yep Spider Im glad to hear your ok, gotta wear that seat belt. I knew a girl who did not have her seat belt on one day and she got into a low speed crash, her face went right into the windshield. she was ok except for the permanent 3 in. scar on there cheek.

So what kinda law suit are you planning on? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
06-13-2003, 12:04 PM
I feel naked without my seat belt.

Glad you weren't on your scooter /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Dodge Ram 1995 SLT 1500 ? The national vehicle of Texas /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Wally~~on his second Dodge Ram which can gives Kato's Eclipse the seven-out (Did I say that right? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif )

Tom_In_Cincy
06-13-2003, 12:10 PM
Glad to hear you are ok,

Did your cues make it ok too?

SpiderMan
06-13-2003, 12:20 PM
1997, never been smoked in, 78K miles, $600 set of Michelins three weeks ago. And they'll probably give me "average retail" or somthing like that /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

SpiderMan

Wally_in_Cincy
06-13-2003, 01:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> 1997, never been smoked in, 78K miles, $600 set of Michelins three weeks ago. And they'll probably give me "average retail" or somthing like that /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

Man, that is...er...was a creampuff. Insurance companies have really perfected the art of hosing people lately. At least it was the truck and not your bones. You can buy another truck. Easy for me to say /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. Good luck.

Rod
06-13-2003, 02:08 PM
Ins companies have been hosing people for years. In more recent years they have it perfected. Insurance company, Mr Rod, were raising your premium. Rod--what I haven't had a claim for years. Ins Company, Mr Rod we know that but in your zipcode/area we show considerable more claims. We are forced to raise preimums across the board etc.

~~~ Rod, AARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG, flop

bluewolf
06-13-2003, 03:09 PM
WOW spidey, your wreck sounds worse than mine. My bag did not deploy. I was wondering about those big semis. Those things are scary. Glad you are okay.

Laura

MikeM
06-13-2003, 04:37 PM
Marty,

Glad you're not hurt worse than you are (that finger's a lovely shade of purple!).

I wear my seat belt MOST of the time, but thanks to you I think it'll be buckled ALL of the time now.

MM

heater451
06-13-2003, 05:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr>. . .now that I've been wearing one for so long, it's second nature.<hr /></blockquote>

I picked up my daughter from school yesterday after a field trip. They were running late, so I sat in the parking lot, in my truck, with the engine off, and read a book for an hour... with my seat belt firmly buckled.

Fred
<hr /></blockquote>(Martin--glad you're okay, and hope that you don't get any later 'after-effects'.)

I like to drive/ride fast, but believe in safety equipment. Never had a car accident, but macked-up my bike(s) a few times (each).

In fact, putting on the equipment is so ingrained, that when I went from motorcycle only to having a car again, I translated the 'gear up' (jacket, helmet, gloves) habit just fine, but didn't do so well with the 'gear down' side. . . .I would often try to get out of my car with the seatbelt still on!

~~has retrained by now
================================

pooljunkie73
06-13-2003, 06:17 PM
wow

hope your broken finger wasn't on your bridge hand? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gifHope you have a speedy recovery.

Kato
06-14-2003, 08:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>
Wally~~on his second Dodge Ram which can gives Kato's Eclipse the seven-out (Did I say that right? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif ) <hr /></blockquote>

Who you kiddin' Wally? The 7 out? Shoot, that's like me playing Efren and giving him the 7 out. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Kato~~~knows Efren don't stand a chance /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Karatemom
06-14-2003, 08:44 AM
Marty, we're all really glad that you walked away from that one. How on earth do you play with a cast on your bridge hand?

Heide ~ Friday the 13th struck again

SpiderMan
06-15-2003, 06:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr> How on earth do you play with a cast on your bridge hand?
<hr /></blockquote>

Poorly /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

SpiderMan