PDA

View Full Version : "Holding" the Cuestick

06-13-2003, 11:16 AM
This board is fantastic. Will be here for days. The replies regarding holding the cuestick too lightly ties in closely with the Corey/Alex draw shot. And I notice one post mentions Efren's technique. I firmly believe this is not rumor. It seems elementary.The key to pool is to take out variables, first you need a consistent stroke, then consistent aim, then consistent "hit". If each of your strikes has a differing amount of hand" power" and hand "dampening" then you have an uncontrolled variable. The only way to be consistent is to have the cue in mid air at the strike.(lightly resting on bottom fingers just after impact) Every shot should be just the cue striking the cueball, so the brain can slowly become very proficient at the different speeds of cue delivery, which becomes the one variable. Quickly one is able to control the cueball much for finely, allowing for shots like the Corey/Alex example. By "letting go" of the cue at impact, the feedback from the cue becomes much more valuable, now the reverb in feel, and reverb in sound are recognizable by the brain, and allow for much quicker learning. Pool is trial and error, and as one fine member posted, you need a constant in any experiment. If on each shot you are applying differing amounts of grip on the stick then you have varying constants. I am not saying all shots are best struck with no hand force on the cue, but the best way to learn is to learn with the constant, and then start applying variables after the fact. then of course we get into the discussion as to one piece cues opposed to cues with a joint. The joint changes both the sound reverb, and the vibration reverb, which in my opinion makes it harder to learn.