PDA

View Full Version : Wally in Cincy

06-13-2003, 12:43 PM
Lets say you have a pool room in Cincinatti. I walk in and start selling cues and accessories in your pool room. I may or may not charge taxes. And I sell pop to the players. What table time would you charge me?

Wally_in_Cincy
06-13-2003, 01:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote amgine:</font><hr> Lets say you have a pool room in Cincinatti. I walk in and start selling cues and accessories in your pool room. I may or may not charge taxes. And I sell pop to the players. What table time would you charge me? <hr /></blockquote>

CCB etiquette lesson #1-next time post the follow-up question to the original thread.

CCB etiquette lesson #2-don't come in here and act like you have all the answers. There's some extremely knowledgable people here. BTW I'm not one of them.

06-13-2003, 04:27 PM
I am catching on to the etiquette. Thank you for the pointers. But you have skirted the issue by changing the subject. Would you be pleased in the described situation, and what would you do?

tateuts
06-13-2003, 04:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> [ There's some extremely knowledgable people here. BTW I'm not one of them.

<hr /></blockquote>

Wally,

I finally diagree with you on something.

Chris

Tom_In_Cincy
06-13-2003, 04:50 PM
amgine,
strange poster...

Is there anything about your original thread that you wish you could re-write?

Scott discussed what he was doing with the person in charge, agreed to the costs and procedeed with the lesson.

The room owner agreed to let Scott give the lessons. (no hot dog here, just pool lessons, and an upfront business transaction)

The room owner set the cost, and then changed it. (Bad business IMO)

Scott still PAID the full amount.

Scott didn't tell announce the name of the pool hall.

Scott didn't mention the name of the owner

Scott did give a lesson to a student

The student did pay Scott

Everyone got what they expected except Scott and he posted his thoughts about this experience.

Your anology falls very short and to the point of not even close. IMO

NO, a good business person will not let anyone in his establishment and take away business.

BUT, if there is a good chance of a "gain" in business, YES.

Does that answer your question? I hope so, its not easy keeping an open mind about someone attacking Scott, he's a good friend and I don't think he did anything wrong, and for you to even hint that he did... Well,,, its just good manners to NOT attack friends of strangers you are trying to become associated.

MikeM
06-13-2003, 04:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote amgine:</font><hr> Lets say you have a pool room in Cincinatti. I walk in and start selling cues and accessories in your pool room. I may or may not charge taxes. And I sell pop to the players. What table time would you charge me? <hr /></blockquote>

If I may so bold as to answer for Wally I would say that he would charge you nothing for table time, because it doesn't appear that you actually play any pool.

Of course, I may be wrong, because I usually don't do well on hypothetical questions.

MM

06-13-2003, 05:03 PM
I agree with some of what you say. I must stress that it is unfortunate that this post had Mr. Lee's name attached, and my thoughts are not in any way malicious to Mr. Lee. Yes I agree also that Mr. Lee handled himself well after the fact. It seems that the room attendant first thought the rental was just that, then felt uncomfortable and called management to verify, when the management changed the charge. I agree also that this was poor on the managements part, but I agree with the manager wanting more proceeds. Which brought me to the thoughts in my post. Without having been there I think it is difficult for you or I to know exactly what transpired. I tried to comment on the general idea of what happened, rather than the incident , or instructor, in particular. I suggest that had the table renter been a regular, there would have been no change, but perhaps the manager decided that this was,to him, a "fly by nighter, and was offended, and wanted his share. My sincere apologies to Mr. Lee if my comments left a taste of personal attack. This is certainly not the case. I do believe fully that no one should pay the price this student paid, and I believe fully that whatever the price, the room owner should be in on it, and report the earnings, and pay tax on them, as would Mr. Lee with his portion of the proceeds I am sure. And in giving the room owner some proceeds, I believe Mr. Lee does not need a business license, and is now operating legally. I am sure the IRS has detailed records of these earnings of Mr. Lee's and each community has been paid their business license fee, so all is good.

06-13-2003, 05:09 PM
I have played pool for 11 years, and have over 30, 000 hours on the practice tables. I have refereed at the provincial level, and been asked to ref at the national level. I have competed in well over 1000 tournaments in pool, and have won 272 at this point. I have owned and operated my own room, and have been the house pro in a major city. Personally I have set up leagues, and directed over 150 events. I have had many students, and have taught for the past 5 years. My passion for the game and its well being is second to none, and has been such for 11 years. Thanks very much for your interest.

MikeM
06-13-2003, 05:10 PM
You raise another good point, fine poster - how many "money" pool players report their earnings to the IRS?

I'm sure you do, since you're so concerned about Mr. Lee's 1040, but do others?

How do you handle it on your tax return?

MM

06-13-2003, 05:15 PM
Thanks for your interest. I went to an accountant 6 years ago, and since have lived off pool. Pool being my only source of income, I am allowed an interesting amount of costs, and deductibles. Because I do not moneygrub, however my net income turns out fairly low, and with the help of my accountant, I pay little. Thanks very much for the interest.

DebraLiStarr
06-13-2003, 06:00 PM
Amgine wrote:
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for your interest. I went to an accountant 6 years ago, and since have lived off pool. Pool being my only source of income, I am allowed an interesting amount of costs, and deductibles. Because I do not moneygrub, however my net income turns out fairly low, and with the help of my accountant, I pay little. <hr /></blockquote>

I find this interesting. I am a CPA, and fail to see what expenses you would incur at the local level that would compare to the expenses of Scott Lee. Your post is vague, and though you say that you earn most of your income from "pool" you fail to say how you do that. Being in the accounting field, I find your vagueness suspect, which is a nice way of saying you are probably a good BS artist.

Nothing Scott Lee does should concern you at all, unless you have personal issues with him. Discussing the existence of his business license and what he reports to the IRS is distasteful and rude, no matter what your intentions are.

Nobody here cares about your accomplishments, or how many pool tournaments you've ran, or won. If you are knowledgeable and know what you are talking about, it will come through in your posts and you won't have to keep tooting your own horn. Furthermore, you do not need to respond to me. All you need to do is drop it and move to the next topic because you have been more than "malicious" in your comments.

highsea
06-13-2003, 06:31 PM
TAP TAP TAP!

pooltchr
06-16-2003, 05:27 AM
It's really pretty simple. A room owner rents out tables at a designated rate per hour. If I rent the table, I agree to pay the rate. I do NOT agree to pay a portion of any money I earn while at that table. Suppose for a minute you are in the car rental business. You rent a car to a salesman for $30 a day. Do you also expect a portion of the commissions he earns simply because he was renting your car when he did it???????????????

06-17-2003, 12:49 AM
Poolchr, that is the most intelligent thing I have ever seen anyone post on this board. Let's take this one another step, if the room owners are charging a teacher 20% to earn money renting their tables above paying regualar table time, then why don't all the owners of America use that same principle and charge every player gambling 20% of their winnings, are they not making money on their table, just as the teacher is, so what is the difference here? Should not these add on charges be equally applied?
The Ice Mon

arn3
06-17-2003, 02:59 AM
because it is a choice, not a rule. the situation should have been handled better, but the owner can do whatever he wants. in a sense, there is no right or wrong. as a business, the owner wants to make money. that is his right. it's his room, so he is right. was it fair, was it the right thing to do? i think not, so the owner was also wrong.

the whole arguement was actually one of point of view. amgine's was a business perspective. everyone else's was an ethical issue.

pooltchr
06-17-2003, 01:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote gna:</font><hr> Poolchr, that is the most intelligent thing I have ever seen anyone post on this board.
The Ice Mon <hr /></blockquote>

LOL Ice Man. That's quite a standard for me to live up to now! Maybe I should give up posting and quit while I'm ahead! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

SpiderMan
06-17-2003, 03:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> It's really pretty simple. A room owner rents out tables at a designated rate per hour. If I rent the table, I agree to pay the rate. I do NOT agree to pay a portion of any money I earn while at that table. Suppose for a minute you are in the car rental business. You rent a car to a salesman for $30 a day. Do you also expect a portion of the commissions he earns simply because he was renting your car when he did it??????????????? <hr /></blockquote>

Similar analogies have been made in other threads, such as greens fees for golf pros and boat rental for fishing guides. I don't think amgine has provided a rebuttal to these points of argument.

SpiderMan

06-17-2003, 08:05 PM
wally you are wastin your time talkin to this boy, his only ambition is to come in here and upset you fine people, just ignore him, maybe he will leave, maybe we will get lucky.
The Ice Mon /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif