PDA

View Full Version : Helmstetter help

06-13-2003, 01:01 PM
Can anyone tell me about the cue I just got. It has "made by Helmstetter" inscribed on the forearm. It is made of birds eye maple and wengee(I think), it has four points on the forearm and a irish linen wrap, the butt is wengee with a ring of birds eye maple. The butt cap and joint at the forearm are both plastic. There are no other markings on this cue.
I would like to know how old it is and the approximate value, if anyone could help I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Fred Agnir
06-13-2003, 01:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bmbowman:</font><hr> Can anyone tell me about the cue I just got. It has "made by Helmstetter" inscribed on the forearm. It is made of birds eye maple and wengee(I think), it has four points on the forearm and a irish linen wrap, the butt is wengee with a ring of birds eye maple. The butt cap and joint at the forearm are both plastic. There are no other markings on this cue.
I would like to know how old it is and the approximate value, if anyone could help I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
<hr /></blockquote>Pictures?

Fred &lt;~~~ sounds like a Helmstetter

06-13-2003, 01:55 PM
I can take some pictures this weekend and post them.
When did they inscribe them with:
Made by Helmstetter
instead of the
-Helmstetter-
that you see on them now?

06-15-2003, 03:57 PM
Okay here is a link to the pictures, if you have any info on the year or anything about this cue please let me know. I know it is probably not worth much, but I have not seen one like this with it inscribed "Made by Helmstetter".
Thanks

http://www.bmbstudios.com/cue

06-16-2003, 10:26 AM
Well, I am going to take it to a local cue dealer today and see what they say, since nobody has responded. I will let you know what he says.

Kato
06-16-2003, 10:29 AM
Looks awfully old. I've got 2 of 'em around 10 years old but haven't seen that one.

Kato

06-16-2003, 11:27 AM
Yeah it does look old that is why I am interested in finding out about it. How are yours inscribed?

Brad

06-16-2003, 03:34 PM
Well I found out the information on the cue if anyone is interested.

It is a production cue made by Helmstetter himself. Manufacture date approx. 1979 - 1982, the prongs are made of what the person who gave me the information (Jim Oswald, Billiards N Bagels in Gresham Oregon) said is walnut.

BLACKHEART
06-16-2003, 05:54 PM
I hate to differ with my friend Jim Oswald, but I will send you a picture of the catalog page I have. The plain Qs in this series were STB-1. The one like yours is model STB-2S The "S" is for smoke(color)."STB-2N" was for natural. The "STB-2G" was for green. The "STB-2R" is for red.
The last price I have listed is $240 in 1996. I think this was the last year for them because I don't find them in any other catalog. These were made in Helmstetter's Japanese plant. Dick Helmstetter hasn't made Qs himself for about 20 years. HOPE THIS HELPS...JER

sneakypapi
06-16-2003, 08:58 PM
I agree with blackheart that cue is approx 10 years old and should be a Japan produced Helmstetter. I have a plain one just like it with no points that says made by helmstetter. I believe after that point they switched to a stainless steel joint for most of their models. Most had the 5/16 x 18 pin. The plastic joint produced a noticable softer hitting cue.

06-17-2003, 12:38 AM
The Helmstetter cues are really nice designs and great quality. When you compare what you get for the prices you pay, they are a great bargain compared to others on the market.
The Ice Mon

Kato
06-17-2003, 09:17 AM
My 97-10 which you can still buy does not have an inscription because I've had that cue stripped and refinished.

My other one just has Helmstetter inscripted in cursive just above the wrap. The one that still has the signature seems to no longer be made. I'll try to find it in some old books and tell you what it is.

Kato