PDA

View Full Version : rate yourself

cueball1950
03-28-2002, 09:40 PM
ok everybody... time to be honest and rate your playing ability.. from a D player up to pro status.. I myself am a B- player here in albany. realizing of course that in NYC i would only be a C player or something in that neighborhood..lol
MIKE

rackmup
03-28-2002, 09:49 PM
By what gauge do I rate myself? I was a 6 and getting bumped to a 7 in Phoenix.

I have no idea where I fall in the "Alphabet Equation" of pool playing.

Regards,

Ken (thinks he might be an "E" player and deserves the "wild 3" in nineball)

cueball1950
03-28-2002, 09:55 PM
your a funny man ken,,in the east where i live in some places i am a C- in other places i am a 7... to bad there can't be a universal rating system,,,,,,mike

Doctor_D
03-29-2002, 01:02 AM
Good evening:

APA 8 Ball - Skill level 6

9 Ball - C level player

14.1 - Rated at 100 balls for handicaping

Dr. D.

stickman
03-29-2002, 01:13 AM
I would have considered myself a strong C, but after playing tonight, I think I'm a D+ or C-. I haven't been playing enough lately. Got to get out of the house more often. I used to play three or more times a week. Lately it's been once every two weeks or more. I'm starting to loose the feel. /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif Shame on me.

03-29-2002, 02:57 AM
ill rate myself after i play in the singles in vegas in may :O)

Rich R.
03-29-2002, 05:58 AM
To rate myself, I honestly have to say, it depends what day it is. Sometimes I play like a B player and sometimes like a D. I will average it out and say that I am a C player, whatever a C player is? Rich R.~~~needs work on consistency.

Chris Cass
03-29-2002, 07:23 AM
Hi Ken,
I can give you the 3. I just have one question. What do we use in it's place? LOL
C.C.~~thinks Ken is up to no good. LMAO

Kato
03-29-2002, 07:54 AM
My skill level is either "Bum" or "Slug". I don't know, I'm probably a C level player of some sort or another. Of course the last 2 weeks I can't hit the ENTIRE SIDE of the table I'm aiming at. These last few weeks I'm known as "Loser". Take it on home I can't help it.

Kato~~~*would lose with the wild 3 and the breaks

Kato

03-29-2002, 08:13 AM
When it comes to 9 ball I am probably a B but who really knows because I never play the game. 8 ball I am a B+ to A player. I have beaten the best I just don't do it consistently. Snooker I am an A for sure because I can run 50+. I never play one pocket or Straight pool.

Kato
03-29-2002, 08:32 AM
When I play C.C. I will be an AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA+ player. I'M STEALIN' BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kato~~~theif in the night.

Fred Agnir
03-29-2002, 08:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: cueball1950:</font><hr> ok everybody... time to be honest and rate your playing ability.. from a D player up to pro status.. <hr></blockquote>

Writing out loud, as usual, so bear with me.

I think that if people use the guidelines that Tom in Cincy posted, that should be a good reference for most of us here.

Now, what does it all mean? I've been toying with the idea that of the 40+MM "pool players" that some nonsensical census has fantasized, about 500,000 would be a D or better. I mean, there are people who can't knock in one in a row who are considered in this poll. So, what I'm saying is that the first criteria to even be a D player is that you actually take the game with some kind of seriousness. Is that fair?

Secondly, from there on out, I think it's similar to standard letter grading (D=fair, C=average, B=above average, A=excellent), as long as you put the words "compared to all serious players." Because, if you say "I'm a C-player" and "C-player" mean "average" then it goes that it means "C-player when compared to all serious players." Let's face it. Most tournament C-players will crush 39.5MM of the so-called "pool players" out there. That is, relative to all 40MM players, a C-player (and a D-player for that matter) is way above average.

Thirdly, I think the designation of "A" is more like a black belt in martial arts. It means there's a mastery of fundamentals and that you're in the top 'x' percent of that discipline. But, like the martial arts, there are levels above that initial "A" designation that signify a certain mastery. In Japan (so I've heard), a black belt signifies that you are a beginner. A beginner in a sense that you've mastered the fundamentals and can now begin to really learn the meaning of &lt;insert favorite MA style.&gt; Black belts may get added stripes. Pool players get the AA, AAA, etc. status.

All that being said, of the 500,000 or so serious pool players, I'm better than average, but not a black belt. Maybe a brown belt with a stripe. Or a B/B+ if you will.

Fred

MinnesotaSlim
03-29-2002, 09:23 AM
It doesn't seem fair using the same rating system as the guys from the BIG cities. Here in town we have only about 75 - 100 real pool players. I am ranked 17th in the city right now but looking to move up next year. I just need to find some time to do some serious practicing.

Oh well, small town life I guess.

The Slim Man

03-29-2002, 09:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Doctor_D:</font><hr> Good evening:

9 Ball - C level player

Dr. D.
<hr></blockquote>
APA Level 6-yeah right! You were a Level 3, 8 months ago. You must have taken some kind of Pool vitamin. Sound like you are high. A 'C' player? A REAL 'C' player would give you the 7 and out.

03-29-2002, 11:01 AM
NJ APA,
Well, you're a real class act! You must have some serious internal demons that you need help with. If Dr. D feels confident in saying she is a "C" level player then she prbably is. Eight months of dedication and practice, especially to a new player is plenty of time to improve that much.
BTW I suck, probably a "D" player and there is no help for me since I have been playing since I was around 12. Does that mean I get the 6 and last four? or how about 11 to 3 in one pocket? That should be fair.
You must feel Dr. D as a threat to your game to be bashing on hers, and not concerning yourself with your own.

Tom_In_Cincy
03-29-2002, 11:05 AM
With all that being said, I would have to rate myself an above average player.. but now where near Excellent. Maby a B- at the very most. Old eyes, legs and loss of competitive spirt have dulled this old player.....

MikeM
03-29-2002, 11:17 AM
I'm a hack, but getting better. Probably a C- by Fred's standards. I've never played APA but my uncle who does is a 5 and wwe are pretty much even players. I have been playing BCA 8 ball, in a low-level league for a year now (a format I enjoy very much btw). We use a straight 8 point average system (no bonus for the 8). The first session I ended up with about a 5 average, the next a 6.4 and I finshed last session as a 7.0. After four weeks this session I'm 13-3 in games and a 7.6 average and I beat the number one player in the league this week. I'm one scratched 8 ball away from being ranked number one in the league, but I'm wildly inconsistent. I seem to play my best against the best competition and vice versa. I like the improvemnt trend but there's a long way to go.

MM

BTW are there any other Northern Virginians on this board?

Tom_In_Cincy
03-29-2002, 11:17 AM
And by the way.. I know its no comparison to other leagues of the same type.. my opponents may be weaker than opponents in other leagues.. so..

APA last rating was a Super 7 (had to maintain 7 rating for 2 sessions)this was back in the mid 90s. Haven't played APA since then.
BCA 8 ball league averaged a 9+ Just this last Fall.

03-29-2002, 11:43 AM
As others have said, it is really difficult to compare, as an A in a small town might be a C+ in downtown New York.

But by most standards I have seen, I'm a B+. I don't own Phil Capelle's, books, but have read in them his ranking system. Such as the one he has in his 9-ball book. I am a B+ by his standards. And I also happen to play in some handicap tournaments in Canada. They have D, C, B, A, and P (Pro), with each level having a "+" as well. P+'s are guys like John Horsfall, Paul Potier, and Dan Louie. I am a B+ in that system.

Wally_in_Cincy
03-29-2002, 12:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Fred Agnir:</font><hr>

I think that if people use the guidelines that Tom in Cincy posted, that should be a good reference for most of us here.

Fred <hr></blockquote>

Using those criteria I could be generous to myself and say C or C-
-----------
APA 8-ball SL/5 and trying to improve.
-----------

14.1 high runs 24, 20, 18

I need lessons huh?

jjinfla
03-29-2002, 02:28 PM
I consider myself as an above average player. Now, what does that mean? In q-skill I am in the above average range. But I think overall that my play and knowledge of the game is better than the average players around here. I like the way I am moving the CB around for position and the way I feel confident on more and more shots and will now play the shot that will give me position rather than just taking the "easy" shot. I am able to see the layout of the table a lot easier now, and know where I want that CB to go. Yet I still make stupid concentration mistakes to mess up a nice run out. I am humbled when I hear of players who consistently break and run out since I can only remember doing it 3 times in tournament play. Yet I am capable of running out at any time. All in all I am enjoying myself and have come in the money in the last six 9 ball tournaments at our local bar. But then these guys are at my level or worse.

As for Dr. D going from a 3 to a 6 in the APA. That is not out of the ordinary because of the low number of games she has in the computer. I went from a 4 to a six in one session. It's when people have over 50 matches logged in the computer that it becomes difficult to change your handicap. At least that is the way it was explained to me by our TO when I was playing APA. Made sense to me. And, obviously, in Dr. D's case they just started her out too low. But, a person does have to start somewhere. Jake

SpiderMan
03-29-2002, 03:22 PM
Our local APA league owner says that the handicap is based on our 10 (or was it 20?) most recent matches played, with the worst two performances ignored. Anyway, it isn't a lifetime running average, according to him.

Also, I was told that all female players are started as 3s and all male players are started as 4s, which is consistent with Dr D's situation. They started me as a 4 but raised me to a 7 the next week. I believe that the increase was manually input by the league operators because they knew me, though they weren't able to manually control the initial ranking. So I got one week of free ride.

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: jjinfla:</font><hr>

As for Dr. D going from a 3 to a 6 in the APA. That is not out of the ordinary because of the low number of games she has in the computer. I went from a 4 to a six in one session. It's when people have over 50 matches logged in the computer that it becomes difficult to change your handicap. At least that is the way it was explained to me by our TO when I was playing APA. Made sense to me. And, obviously, in Dr. D's case they just started her out too low. But, a person does have to start somewhere. Jake <hr></blockquote>

Cuemage
03-30-2002, 12:07 AM
Before lessons w/Allison &gt; C+
After lessons w/Allison &gt; B

The Cuemage

Rod
03-30-2002, 02:47 AM
Well Fred I identify with your numbers and ratings. Out here a player on the high end of the scale is in the top 1/2 of 1 percent or better. I haven't looked at a sheet lately but the lower rated players may account for close to 90% of the players. In golf I think I read where at least 90% slice the ball and play well over 100. In either game if you rated yourself a C it would be much better than an average player. I fit in there somewhere, it depends on the day and planet alignment.

Chris Cass
03-30-2002, 05:39 AM
Kato,
When we get to play, you'll be only allowed to eat apple sauce and soft foods. I'll be between drouling and falling asleep in the chair. Just don't kick my walker, will ya?
Regards,
C.C.~~learning to rack for RJ, Kato and Voodoo.

03-30-2002, 06:04 AM
pro status

Voodoo Daddy
03-30-2002, 06:08 AM
This post reminds me of a classic scene from "Caddyshack". When asked; "Whats your handicapp?"..Ty says; "I dont know."..."Then how do you measure yourself with other golfers?" Ty replies "By height!"

Rate myself? OK, I know I have spent 22+ years searching for the perfect stroke...came up at a time when 9-ball made its transformation from "push-out" to 1 shot foul. I play better from the chair than I do at the table these days. I play a very aggressive game of pool which normally keeps me in the one-loss side of tournaments but hey...its just a game.

Voodoo...rather draw a golf ball than the cue-ball these days.

cheesemouse
03-30-2002, 09:57 AM
Voodoo,
I know this is a subject for another board but wouldn't pool be a crazy game if you had to figure out how to draw the cue ball all over again everyday you played...but then maybe I assume to much about your pool game...hehehe chuckles the cheese /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Voodoo Daddy
03-30-2002, 12:05 PM
Funny Cheese...you should never assume. I'll gladly show you a well honed pool stroke first hand if you would like? You dont have leave your state either...I'm trying to get to Texas come Aug/Sept for the Texas 9-Ball tournament in Austin. Not saying I'll win the tourney, but the room will know I was there!!

Voodoo...rather be hittin' the 'lil pill other than whitey

cheesemouse
03-30-2002, 12:14 PM
Voodoo,
YIKES!!!!! http://www.animation-station.com/anigifs/anim0578.gif

MikeM
03-30-2002, 02:28 PM
Cheese, you are hilarious! LMAO (again)

Voodoo Daddy
03-30-2002, 09:25 PM
He is funny...LMFAO!!! I dont care what anyone says about you Cheese...your ok in my book...

Voodoo...still going to Texas

bell
03-30-2002, 09:34 PM
It is difficult if not impossible for any player to "rate himself" as this thread will attest. Although we seem to be moving in the right direction, (APA, etc.) players need a standardized national rating system. This is not a "relative" thing, it should be based on specific shots, times accomplished, and number of attempts.

03-30-2002, 10:57 PM
Bell, the system you describe might be ideal, but it points out the inherent flaws with the current state of pool.

There is absolutely no reward, especially in men's pool, to be rated highly. As long as this is true, most players do not want their true speed known - let alone go out of their way to compete in some sort of standardized testing process.

What the game needs, of course, is a tiered-system of tournaments, with higher payouts for higher classes. Additionally, to maintain the integrity of these tournaments, players must NOT be allowed to compete in either a lower OR higher division than their current rating. (If players are allowed to compete in higher divisions, there is no reason for them to try to raise their "official" rating.)

Until there is a monetary reward for an increased rating, most players will simply do all they can to remain at a low "official" level.

- Steve

03-31-2002, 12:53 AM
As we all know, rating yourself as a pool player is all relative based on the players in your area you normally play with and see play. As the player to beat at our poolroom in our very small market, I may often feel I'm a B+ or even sometimes an A player, but in reality still light years from ever approaching men's pro caliber level. Kind of like a scratch handicap golfer may sound great to most golfers (top 1/10th of 1 percent) but is still a number of skill levels away from a touring pro golfer.

I'm reminded of that vast skill difference whenever a pro tour player comes here to get in some practice on our tight pockets and soundly puts me in my place (the chair) in my poolroom on my tables, much to the pleasure of all our regulars.

However, once in maybe every 8-10 sets I somehow manage to put it all together and play well enough to steal a race to 7 or 9 - which is the great thing about this game. That seems to be all I need to keep me optimisticly feeling as if I have a legitimate chance to win everytime we play - if I can manage to make smart decisions, execute very well and get some good rolls / bad rolls for them. Sometimes though, even that isn't enough when you're playing a far superior player.

As for Dr. D, I've got it from a reliable source that for a relatively new player to the game, the rapid improvement in her game is surpassed only by her steadfast practice discipline and burning desire to keep learning and progressing - keep it up Dr. D! - Chris in NC

03-31-2002, 09:30 PM
Ratings...depends on what day/week/lunar cycle. I'm playing as a B, but I have days where I can't miss and days I can't make.

Eric &gt;a legend in my own mind.

04-01-2002, 09:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: NJ APA:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Doctor_D:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; Good evening:

9 Ball - C level player

Dr. D.
&lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;
APA Level 6-yeah right! You were a Level 3, 8 months ago. You must have taken some kind of Pool vitamin. Sound like you are high. A 'C' player? A REAL 'C' player would give you the 7 and out. <hr></blockquote>
Just curious, is the BS for self-esteem? Perhaps the same attitude contributed to your removal at the WPBA. I recall something being said about"improper communications". Is that anything like passing out your WPBA card and telling people that you are a Pro and will give lessons?
Yes Diana, we do know you in real life(not internet fiction).

Chris Cass
04-01-2002, 11:31 AM
NJ APA,
Just in case you didn't know. Lessons can be taught by anyone. As far as passing out a WPBA card and calling yourself a pro. If pool is the only job you have then your concidered a pro. Pro doesn't have to mean your ranked at anything, it just merly means that's what you do for a living.

I see nothing positive that can come out of hurting someones feelings. It's all about mean, and mean is a waste of everyones time. Regardless of what the Dr. does or doesn't do. Life is too short to waste your time on anything but yourself. Put that hatred to good use on the break and you'll see more positive results. You could go egg someones house, it is Easter, you know. LOL

Regards,
C.C.

04-02-2002, 10:13 AM

04-02-2002, 10:26 AM
When you win first pl. in a Tournament...you're an A
Second...a B
Third...a C

04-02-2002, 12:29 PM
Well that depends on the tournament. I don't think someone that finishes 3rd in the U.S. Open could be considered a "C" player. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Chris Cass
04-02-2002, 01:28 PM
Hi Mike,
If I took third in the open? They could call me anything they like. LOL
C.C.~~took 4th out of 92 the other night so, I'm a D. lol I'm a pro dealer and a part time pool player.LOL

04-02-2002, 01:34 PM
4th out of 92? Great job! I don't even need to ask about the level of the competition to say that. 92 players is a big tournament, and that's a lot of matches to get focused for. Especially if it's 9-ball. All it takes is a lapse in focus here and there, and you aren't going to make the top 4 out of 92, regardless of the competition. Too easy to dog it and leave some easy two ball runs, or 9-balls.

Great job!

04-05-2002, 03:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Eric:</font><hr> Ratings...depends on what day/week/lunar cycle. I'm playing as a B, but I have days where I can't miss and days I can't make.

Eric &gt;a legend in my own mind. <hr></blockquote>

Actually, the way I've been playing, I'll probably get downgraded...

Eric &gt;got beat by Stevie Wonder last nite

Rod
04-05-2002, 06:26 PM
Is he still playing? I thought he gave it up.lol