PDA

View Full Version : The Chicken and the Egg

06-13-2003, 01:03 PM
Many conversations and arguments have rights and wrongs, and viewpoints and perspectives, and may or may not be agreed upon. But when a particular issue has a "right" answer that can be simply proven, arguments disappear. With pool, especially with regards to things that are abstract or strange to the receiver, it is easy to fall back on the age old question..." Which came first the Chicken or the Egg" . People associate this question with an escape from closed mindedness, or dare I say "stupidity", and it and others are used extensively.

Perhaps these masses are not aware that the Egg came first. It is elementery, for any mutations that occur to create a new species occur in the fertilization or embryonic stages, so even if these mutations, or evolutions, occurred slowly, it still leaves no doubt that the Egg was chicken before the Chicken was chicken. Unless you believe a chicken just formed out of nothing and "poof" it was there. No malice intended for any very religious people who may have different guidelines for "proof".

06-13-2003, 01:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote amgine:</font><hr> ...Unless you believe a chicken just formed out of nothing and "poof" it was there...<hr /></blockquote>So I take it you subscribe to the belief that the egg just formed out of nothing and "poof" it was there?

Sorry, couldn't resist. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

highsea
06-13-2003, 02:14 PM
I think you are posting in the wrong Forum. Try non pool related for philosophical discussions.

-CM &lt;~~~Thinks Scott should have been charged the same as everyone else for table time.

heater451
06-13-2003, 05:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote amgine:</font><hr> . . .Perhaps these masses are not aware that the Egg came first. It is elementery, for any mutations that occur to create a new species occur in the fertilization or embryonic stages, so even if these mutations, or evolutions, occurred slowly, it still leaves no doubt that the Egg was chicken before the Chicken was chicken. Unless you believe a chicken just formed out of nothing and "poof" it was there. No malice intended for any very religious people who may have different guidelines for "proof". <hr /></blockquote>You left out the actual proof: Eggs existed "pre-chicken" because they were laid by fish, insects, amphibians, and reptiles, which of course precede avians. (Just clearing that up, for those in doubt.)

BTW, birds are very nearly reptiles themselves--which explains why alligator meat and snake meat supposedly tastes like chicken. . . .

(Sorry, to put this in the PR board, but here is where it is.)

===========================

06-13-2003, 06:14 PM
haha, people love to discuss here. I love it. in reply to the egg "poof" and the pre chicken egg comments, excuse me for assuming most people would realize that was taken for granted. The question was simply chicken egg related, not bacteria, amino acid, multi celled, etc. The fact remains that at some point the traits of a chicken emerged, and they certainly emerged in the egg first, to make the first chicken.

But my point is made, based on the responses, many will argue just for arguments sake. I suspect both these replies are in agreement with the basic theory of evolution, yet still don't build on the thought, they try to attack it. That was the reason for the post, and it is shown to be so.

Rod
06-13-2003, 06:23 PM
What's a chicken or egg have to do with pool? All I know is I eat chicken for lunch or dinner. I eat eggs at breakfast.

~~~ rod, doesn't really care which one come first. There both here now. lol

heater451
06-13-2003, 07:12 PM
Note: These quotes are re-ordered here (the order is reversed).
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote amgine:</font><hr>. . .But my point is made, based on the responses, many will argue just for arguments sake. I suspect both these replies are in agreement with the basic theory of evolution, yet still don't build on the thought, they try to attack it. That was the reason for the post, and it is shown to be so. <hr /></blockquote>There wasn't an argument, but you might consider this to be one now. . . .The responses were (or are, at the time of this post):

1) An admonishment to post in the NPR forum, by highsea.

2) A joke by dmorris68.

3) An addition by myself which--which you seem to view as an attack because it doesn't "build on thought", although it does in a different direction.

and 4) A combination of admonishment an a joke by Rod.

Also, lacking the ability to read your thoughts, and intuit the "reason for the post", leaves it wide open for anything. It didn't prove anything, except your ability to take one possibility as truth.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote amgine:</font><hr> . . .The question was simply chicken egg related, not bacteria, amino acid, multi celled, etc. The fact remains that at some point the traits of a chicken emerged, and they certainly emerged in the egg first, to make the first chicken.<hr /></blockquote>I see irony, where you set the restriction that the question was "simply chicken egg related", then go on in the next sentence to show that your point lies outside of the restriction, since "traits of a chicken" do not a chicken make. Besides, my earlier post backs that up, by mentioning the relation of chickens to reptiles, which also supports the idea that there are shared traits.

As an aside, I don't want you to feel that I'm really argumentative, although I admit that this comes close to truly becoming one. If you had come here several months ago, you would have even witnessed a heated argument, between one poster, and pretty much everyone else--whether they were on his side or not. . . .

Make of it what you will.

===================================

rackmup
06-14-2003, 10:29 AM
Let's keep this "pool related."

I have a pet chicken that plays pool with her eggs. She uses her beak as a cue. She has made more appearances on national television than Fast Larry's dog, albeit on Ukranian television.

I spoke with her and she said the egg came first, then the chicken. She knows this because she had her family tree traced.

She is one smart chicken.

Regards,

Ken

Ralph S.
06-14-2003, 10:34 AM
I dont believe in Darwinism, the Big Bang Theory, or any of that other crap. If you are truly a religious person or believe ther is only one God Almighty, then you obviously have to believe in Creationism, which I do. Simply put, the chicken came first.

Qtec
06-14-2003, 11:00 AM
Like the man said ,

"where did the egg come from "

A chicken MAYBE.?

How do you know that chickens didnt originally give birth to live chicks and through evolution ended up bearing eggs .
I am really interested in your answer. We all are .

Q!!!!!!!!!

" if i was made of chocolate i would EAT myself"

Bow Down [ was that Dr Dre ?]

Q

DebraLiStarr
06-14-2003, 11:01 AM
Amgine......

is this pool related?

NO

Does what you wrote make sense?

Not to me, in fact it gave me a headache.

To everybody else:

This is that same idiot that was posting the baby picture last week. Ignore him and he will go away. If we all report him to the mods at the same time, maybe they'll get rid of him quicker.

Deb

rackmup
06-14-2003, 05:42 PM
Amen Brother Ralph S. !

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Genesis 1:24-25:</font><hr> 24 And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so. 25 And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

<hr /></blockquote>

It's all in what you believe and if you believe it 100%, then what does it matter what the other guy thinks?

Regards,

Ken

arn3
06-14-2003, 06:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DebraLiStarr:</font><hr> If we all report him to the mods at the same time, maybe they'll get rid of him quicker.

Deb <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="red"> yeah, let's lynch him!!! </font color>

arn3
06-14-2003, 06:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackmup:</font><hr> Amen Brother Ralph S. !

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Genesis 1:24-25:</font><hr> ,,,,cattle, and creeping thing, and ,,,,,,and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

<hr /></blockquote>

is this "creepy thing" pool players?

and HE saw this as a good idea??? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

rackmup
06-14-2003, 07:30 PM
I cannot speak for all things that "creepeth" but you know as well as I do, some of the people in pool halls across the nation fit the "slither on thier belly" description.

Regards,

Ken

eg8r
06-14-2003, 08:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps these masses are not aware that the Egg came first. <hr /></blockquote> Not sure if anyone answered this but I think it was the rooster.

eg8r &lt;~~~Just trying to help

Rod
06-14-2003, 09:35 PM
Yah thats it, it was the rooster. Almost forgot about that guy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif They come from somewhere, I didn't ask before I ate one. LOL

~~~ rod, having chicken breast for dinner

06-14-2003, 10:42 PM
Again some very interesting and humorous responses, except for the clown who says we should all report him to the mods, what will they boot me for? Sorry about the headache, but it is a tough question. Apparently the best minds in the world, albeit not religious ones, have come to the conclusion that the egg came first. Believe it or not. These minds by the way are in the 190-200 IQ range, which borders on the unmeasurable, and I am compelled to believe in them.

bluewolf
06-15-2003, 06:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote amgine:</font><hr> Again some very interesting and humorous responses, except for the clown who says we should all report him to the mods, what will they boot me for? Sorry about the headache, but it is a tough question. Apparently the best minds in the world, albeit not religious ones, have come to the conclusion that the egg came first. Believe it or not. These minds by the way are in the 190-200 IQ range, which borders on the unmeasurable, and I am compelled to believe in them. <hr /></blockquote>

Since you know so much about these 'great minds', which IQ test did they use?

highsea
06-15-2003, 06:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote amgine:</font><hr> Again some very interesting and humorous responses, except for the clown who says we should all report him to the mods, what will they boot me for? Sorry about the headache, but it is a tough question. Apparently the best minds in the world, albeit not religious ones, have come to the conclusion that the egg came first. Believe it or not. These minds by the way are in the 190-200 IQ range, which borders on the unmeasurable, and I am compelled to believe in them. <hr /></blockquote>

Since you know so much about these 'great minds', which IQ test did they use?
<hr /></blockquote>

I'm sorry, I guess I'm just slow. Will someone tell me again how this relates to pool? (Other than the pool playing chicken)

-CM

06-15-2003, 04:21 PM
Now you're talking rack em up, every one knows, you get the chicken, then the egg, our boy here has yet to figure that one out.
The Ice Mon

DebraLiStarr
06-15-2003, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Again some very interesting and humorous responses, except for the clown who says we should all report him to the mods, what will they boot me for? <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="red"> Being an idiot </font color>

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry about the headache, but it is a tough question. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="red">No, it's complete stupidity. </font color>

[ QUOTE ]
Apparently the best minds in the world, albeit not religious ones, have come to the conclusion that the egg came first. Believe it or not. These minds by the way are in the 190-200 IQ range, which borders on the unmeasurable, and I am compelled to believe in them. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="red"> Just what I thought. Your name isn't "Patrick" is it? Even if its not, you need a major dosage of meds. Also, just because I'm upfront with you about my opinion of your behavior, does not make me a clown, it makes me brutally honest. There's a difference. </font color>

Wally_in_Cincy
06-16-2003, 08:33 AM
CCBer Fran once had to shoot an elliptical cue ball between the legs of a chicken for a Bud Light commercial.

My response makes as much sense as your question.

Wally~~anybody remember Super-Chicken?....bawk b-bawk b-bawk b-bawk......

DSAPOLIS
06-16-2003, 03:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DebraLiStarr:</font><hr>

<font color="red"> ... just because I'm upfront with you about my opinion of your behavior, does not make me a clown, it makes me brutally honest. There's a difference. </font color>
<hr /></blockquote>

That got me thinking.... if Debra was a clown, what would her name be?

highsea
06-16-2003, 04:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DSAPOLIS:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote DebraLiStarr:</font><hr>

<font color="red"> ... just because I'm upfront with you about my opinion of your behavior, does not make me a clown, it makes me brutally honest. There's a difference. </font color>
<hr /></blockquote>

That got me thinking.... if Debra was a clown, what would her name be?

<hr /></blockquote>

Where's nAz...Hey nAz! We're gonna need a "clown name generator" here. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-CM

eg8r
06-16-2003, 05:19 PM
Brutally honest. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I like it.

eg8r

Sid_Vicious
06-16-2003, 06:03 PM
Without the chicken strip lunch specials at 2 outta the three PHs I frequent, I'd never get any nourishment...sid~~~lived on two Slim Jims all day Sunday, chicken strips sound good now thinking back on it ;-)