PDA

View Full Version : extra shafts

snook
06-13-2003, 01:34 PM
i'm getting ready to buy a new case and thought it would be nice to go ahead and pick up another shaft while i was at it. i know i can get a black dot for 130 on ebay but i figured there was probably a better option out there. i'm shooting a meucci hp2 with red dot now, and my next shaft would have to have at least a 13 inch pro taper. thanks for any feedback. also its on a 3/16 18 pin if it makes a difference

Rod
06-13-2003, 01:45 PM
Snook,
An extra shaft is always a good idea. BTW I believe you meant to say a 5/16 X 18 pin.

Rod

tateuts
06-13-2003, 02:17 PM
I just ordered three shafts from Meucci - $100 - $110 is the rate they charge for a new red dot. These are to replace some shafts on older collectibles which were neglected and warped - so I had them made without the dot. Shafts from Meucci are made to order to match your cues shaft collar, so they take a few weeks. I ordered 2 29" shafts and one 30" shaft. They will make them up to 31", which is kind of unusual.

Before you buy a black dot, I suggest you find one and try it. I doubt you will like it much, and I hear there have been serious problems with warping. They are a laminated shaft. I hear they are well back ordered because of the warantee replacement problem.

There are a lot of Meucci "replacement" shafts out there. They usually don't fit right, in some cases the screw hole isn't even deep enough, and they are really not the same caliber as a Meucci shaft. These are chinese knock-offs.

I have a lot of different types of cues. Some people like to bad mouth Meucci. Despite that, I think Meucci shafts are among the best playing shafts available. The taper, the consistancy from shaft to shaft, and the soft long ferrule combine for a darn nice, solid, lively shaft.

Regards,

Chris

SpiderMan
06-13-2003, 02:30 PM
Snook,

I would try to get a spare shaft as nearly identical as possible to your first shaft. Much of what we do in pool is automatic (ie grooved into our minds and muscles via repetition).

If your spare shaft is "different" you can introduce small errors that add up to lost games. For example, squirt compensation may be slightly different, causing you to be a little off on cut shots with english.

Likewise, I'd use identical tips crowned the same to minimize speed and spin variation.

All the above assumes that you intend to keep both shafts. If you plan to throw the old one away and accustom yourself to the new one, it's not such a consideration.

SpiderMan

snook
06-13-2003, 04:01 PM
yes i did mean 5/16 sorry about that, i found another red dot brand new for forty dollars here in town and its got a collar ALMOST identical to mine, for the price i will probably buy it. my father has a black dot and im not impressed. although do you think i should buy this cheaper red dot, or buy a new one from the factory?

tateuts
06-13-2003, 07:23 PM
If your other shaft is in pretty good shape, the red dot locally for $40 is a great deal. The reason why I say that is you want to have one good sellable shaft when you go to sell your cue later, and the new one won't cut it if the collars don't match.

What you also should do is get the shaft, screw it on to your cue, sight down the cue from the (from the butt end) and slowly turn it. Make sure there is no roll out - you'll see it if something isn't right. Check the joint alignment and if they'll let you hit some balls, that would be ideal -to make sure you like it.

See you,

Chris

snook
06-14-2003, 11:07 PM
thanks for all the help