PDA

View Full Version : Spare Shaft Importance?

Sid_Vicious
06-13-2003, 03:21 PM
Ya know I have spare shafts, 3 total for a couple of cues, thinking that two shafts must be necessary for the emergencies, like tips popping off or breaking a shaft....I just realized that I've not broken a shaft and needed that second shaft, and since I either put my own tips on or have Spiderman do them, I have not lost my play cue due to that either.

Tell me, other than you just having those gut feelings to use the second shaft, "when was the last time that second shaft came into being a true necessity?" I'm thinking almost never, and I admit it, I am absolutely guilty of instantly believing from the git-go in the need for that second shaft. I'm now beginning to think that one shaft, and a good reliable tip man is all anyone needs. A second shaft maybe increases value in a fine custom, but otherwise I basically wonder if the urgency to have two of them is kinda foolish in the long haul of things...sid

snook
06-13-2003, 04:03 PM
im just trying to fill that extra slot in my 2x4 case, its driving me nuts /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

UTAddb
06-13-2003, 04:10 PM
I don't have any, I've never even seen someone break a shaft (not that it doesn't happen), and I think they're pretty unnecessary.

tateuts
06-13-2003, 04:11 PM
Sid,

You are right, since the invention of superglue, the second shaft is pretty redundant.

The reason why you should have the second shaft is if you ever do need to repair or replace the shaft, you can still use your cue with the back-up. Sometime you could be without a stick for months if you have to order a new shaft.

Also, it helps to have a mint shaft when (if) you resell the cue.

I buy a lot of used cues, and quite often the old shafts are in terible condition. If it has two shafts, though, usually one of them is in good shape.

Chris

Sid_Vicious
06-13-2003, 04:12 PM
snook...I apologize if I came across as prodding at your recent topic of getting the second shaft. I have a whole array of "gotta have" goodies in my stash, many shafts included, in fact I bought one Saturday for ten bucks which won't even fit into my case because it is too long. I enjoy buying pool stuff, I say have fun and if you want something...get it....sid

snook
06-13-2003, 05:34 PM
i assumed this topic was stemmed from mine, but no offense was takin at all, i was just being a smartbutt as usual, sorry if i came off as trying to get once back on you

*snook also enjoys buying useless pool goodies

Barbara
06-13-2003, 06:36 PM
Sid,

I constantly switch between the two shafts I have. I know how each one plays and I do have a preference and I withhold that for playing exclusively with in tournies and with practicing a couple days before that event to reinforce my feel for that shaft. But you have to know how the other shaft plays. For some shots, you may prefer that shaft over the other. Who knows until you find out on your own?

All said and done, I practice with both to keep the tips wearing down at the same rate. God forbid my tips would "pop off" as they're professionally done and I won't play with them for - at the least 6 hours, the most 24 hours - after they're put on. And that's after a couple hours of catching up with my Cue Man while he's working on them in his shop!

Barbara~~~needs to show the Cue Man's wife some pics... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SecaucusFats
06-13-2003, 06:49 PM
Better to have the second shaft and not need it, then to need it and not have it.

Fats

highsea
06-13-2003, 06:58 PM
I only have one shaft with my cue, but I am going to have a second shaft made for 3C. 2" shorter, 12mm hard tip and conical taper. My pool shaft just doesn't cut it, too whippy and the tip mushrooms really fast. But it's perfect for pool...

-CM

Barbara
06-13-2003, 06:59 PM
Hey SF!

The J. Pechauer NorthEast Women's Tour is going to be in your neighborhood next weekend - Castle Billiards - for the NJ State 8-Ball Championships! Karen Corr's the defending champion.

When I'm not doing the one-armed paper-hanging thing, intro yourself to me!

Barbara~~~does have one personal slave and she's paid for a small peace of my mind... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sid_Vicious
06-14-2003, 12:20 AM
"I withhold that for playing exclusively with in tournies and with practicing a couple days before that event to reinforce my feel for that shaft. But you have to know how the other shaft plays.
For some shots, you may prefer that shaft over the other. Who knows until you find out on your own?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Barbara,

It's actually very interesting just how the association between the player and their shafts relate back
to them during the "acquaintance period" for that coming event. There's always one outta the 2 pieces
of shaft wood which always puts me into a confidence zone between the 2 different shafts, and yet you
do need to know where your other shaft can drag you down, maybe even MAKE positive in a funny way
under the circumstances. Pool is a fun game with lots of personal challenges,,,add to that flavor added
variants of different shafts for the same cue.

Hell of a crafty sport, changing all the time.

Ralph S.
06-14-2003, 07:42 AM
I have never had the benifit of having an extra shaft at my disposal until I ordered my most recent cue. I am sure that the extra will definitely come in handy and be useful. It will be nice knowing that I dont have to worry if something bad happens as I will hve a back-up.

Kato
06-14-2003, 09:15 AM
Sid, I have 3 shafts for the cue I currently play with (1 Manzino and 1 Predator in addition to the stock Helmstetter). The Omen Custom I have on order will have 2 shafts. I'm sure I'll develope a favorite but word has it you should use both for same tip wear issues. I'm not sure if I like that as I'd hate to put 2 shafts in the shop at the same time.

Kato~~~also likes filling out the 2 X 4 case.

cycopath
06-14-2003, 10:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SecaucusFats:</font><hr> Better to have the second shaft and not need it, then to need it and not have it.

Fats <hr /></blockquote>Well put SF.

I've accidentally dropped my cue before and put a ding in the shaft. And if you are like me, you are use to having a slick glass like finish on your shaft. So it makes it hard to play when you feel that ding in your stroke. It breaks my concentration.

Barbara
06-14-2003, 10:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> I'm sure I'll develope a favorite but word has it you should use both for same tip wear issues. I'm not sure if I like that as I'd hate to put 2 shafts in the shop at the same time.

Kato~~~also likes filling out the 2 X 4 case. <hr /></blockquote>

Kato,

You could probably get away with retipping one shaft at a time.

Not a lot of people consider the tip wear issue and how that may affect your game if you have to switch shafts for some reason.

A while ago Nick Varner was in Philly and needed a tip. He contacted Barry Sz and went over to his shop. Barry put a new tip on for him then asked if Nick had a second shaft to the cue. Nick took out the second shaft and Barry took the tip off and replaced it with the same brand he put on the first shaft. When Nick asked why, Barry told him that he should always have the same brand of tips on his playing shafts in case he needed to use the spare. That was a new one for Nick.

Barbara~~~learns a lot from Barry /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pooldaddy9
06-14-2003, 07:48 PM
I've had to use my extra shaft one time. Sure is good to know I have a back up when I need it. Besides, it came with the stick. They were gonna sell me the stick for 50.00 cheaper without the extra shaft and charge me 130.00 if I had to buy one later.So I took the extra shaft.