PDA

View Full Version : good ferrules

snook
06-13-2003, 04:04 PM
what are some the the better ferrules out there, for a play cue?

snook
06-13-2003, 05:35 PM
wow, nobody makes ferrules any more, wonder what we'll all do now /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SecaucusFats
06-13-2003, 07:02 PM
I like genuine ivory ferrules. I see descriptions of marerials like Ivorine, and Aegis, and so on, claiming to hit "just like ivory", sad to say it just isn't so. I liken it to people who say things like: "try this it's iguana,( or giant hissing cockroach, or sea slug) tastes just like chicken". Well hell, if it tastes just like chicken then I'll just have some darned chicken thank you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fats

hadenball
06-14-2003, 12:33 PM
www.atlasbilliards.com (http://www.atlasbilliards.com)
www.prathercue.com (http://www.prathercue.com)

so many choices, so little time.:-0 My schon 17 years ago came with a micarta 7 & had a very nice hit. It's supposed to be like ivory, lot of people like fiber but it stains too easy for me. Personally I like pvc, some break cues come with pvc ferrules which give a more lively hit.
haden

snook
06-14-2003, 01:19 PM
hmmm....i will probably go with ivory i do suppose, but can it get it so its colored white?

tateuts
06-14-2003, 01:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote snook:</font><hr> hmmm....i will probably go with ivory i do suppose, but can it get it so its colored white? <hr /></blockquote>

Both of my shafts have ivory ferrules. They're fine, but I sure wouldn't pay the extra $100 each for them. They're kind of brittle and are prone to cracking.

The plastic ferrules Meucci uses are as good as anything - not quite as durable as melamine or aegis, but soft hitting and perfectly fine. They make less noise than other ferrule material, particularly when drawing the ball.

Chris

Nightstalker
06-14-2003, 01:29 PM
only true white ivory around will be bleached and that greatly hurts the integrity of the material. If you want ivory, please just accept the fact that it will never be true white.

snook
06-14-2003, 04:05 PM
well, ok, no 100 bucks for ivory, but my meucci ferrule is freaking cracked for no reason(i play soft and dont break with it) and dont know if i want another meucci ferrule on it or not

highsea
06-14-2003, 04:35 PM
My Joss had a capped "Aegis" or ivorine ferrule. I liked it, it was easy to keep clean and retip. My Zac has an uncapped linen based ferrule. I like it too, but it seems to have a softer feel. This may be more due to the different joints, SS vs. phenolic than the ferrule.

A friend's Joss has an ivory ferrule with a fiber pad. Hell, I like it too! (But it definitely is a different feel than the synthetic ferrules, softer hit, and a nice satisfying "click" when you hit the CB)

I supposed if I was to get a new ferrule, it would be a capped ivorine ferrule, for low maintenance, low cost, ease of retipping, and I like the feel.

I haven't tried Melamine, but I would probably like it too! For me it is more an issue of getting used to the feel of what I have, and having a tip that I like.

WTH! I guess I like them all. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Big help huh?

-CM

SecaucusFats
06-15-2003, 09:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote snook:</font><hr> hmmm....i will probably go with ivory i do suppose, but can it get it so its colored white? <hr /></blockquote>

IMHO,the patina of ivory is one of it's most attractive features.

If you decide to get an ivory ferrule, make sure you to use a fiber pad. It really does improve the hit, and protects your ferrule.

I know of some players who have been playing, and breaking, with the same ivory ferruled cues, for years, without any problems.

I think ivory hits better than any other material.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fats

snook
06-15-2003, 09:55 PM
where can i get a good ivory ferrule? i have a meucci red dot if it makes a difference

thanks

tateuts
06-15-2003, 10:50 PM
Snook,

Ivory ferrules are manufactured and installed by cue makers. What you do is find a custom cue maker or repairman with a lathe or tenon jig in your area. They order an ivory ferrule "blank", basically a nice cylinder of ivory in the rough oversize dimensions of a ferrule. They then bore it to the proper tenon size, mount it on your shaft (after cutting off the old ferrule, glue it up, and turn it on a lathe.

Chris

Chris

SecaucusFats
06-16-2003, 11:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote snook:</font><hr> where can i get a good ivory ferrule? i have a meucci red dot if it makes a difference

thanks <hr /></blockquote>

If you do not have a competent local cuemaker, you can send the shaft to:

http://proficientbilliards.com/default.htm

Also, a quick Google search for Ted Harris Cues will yield a link to his shop.

Each is perfectly capable of doing an excellent job of installing a new ivory ferrule.

When shipping a cue, or a shaft, wrap it in bubble wrap and place it inside a round cardboard mailing tube. Next, place the tube in a box, and pad the tube with crumpled newsprint inside the box before sealing the whole thing up with packing tape.

Fats

Cueless Joey
06-16-2003, 12:13 PM
The best ferrule is about to be unveiled.
Cuemaker Zylr developed it along with other people.
It will be shown on this year' BCA Expo in Vegas.
Look for me there on the final two days. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I will be at the CuesForLess booth and will answer questions about the Ivor-X ferrule.
It looks like ivory. Hits like ivory. Stays clean as it's very dirt resistance.
I've been using two for almost 6 months now. One for my breaker and one for my playing cue. They're both squeeky clean.

BLACKHEART
06-16-2003, 06:34 PM
I use a lot of ivory for ferrules on the Qs I make. I recently retipped a Q that I made in 1993 &amp; the ivory ferrule is as white as snow. The Q my son plays with, is one I made in 1979 &amp; his ferrule is only slightly off white now.
Elephant ivory is the whitest at the pointed end &amp; is darkest at the large end, where it goes into the face. I don't buy the pointed end, but the second cut, just behind the pointed end. Maybe ivory that is not "aged" yellows more than the stuff I buy.
By the way, the same piece of ivory that I bought 4 years ago for $900 now costs $1400. This ivory came from an elephant that was shot in 1967. Maybe this helps...JER