PDA

View Full Version : amgine...Scott Lee and "Goofy Pool Hall Methods"

Nick B
06-15-2003, 12:36 PM
I've been coming hear for 4 years and rarely post. I just read and reply to maybe a handful of questions. It's obvious who plays...who pretends...and who offers valuable insight.

Yes I find the endless ramblings of a few tiresome...so what. I don't like everyone in my neighborhood either. All in all I like coming here. No I don't learn much, but I also have been watching ER for many years and still can't properly apply a Band-Aid.

"amgine" obviously understands "The Game". Scott Lee obviously has Mastered the game. I have met neither. For the most part I agree with amgine except on some small nuances. A pool hall is a "funny" kind of business. Part hangout...part social club...part watering-hole, but at the end of the day it's a business. Pay your bills. Stay open. Don't...won't be open long. Imagine owning a Restaurant were your best customers don't just come for the food but for the ability to sit with someone while they eat (aka Housepro/Pro-Player). On top of that, while your customers eat you have to feed the other guy for free! Does it sound messed up? Nevertheless, this in common in most halls and I may add good business. Players like having good players in their room.

Do I think $150.00/hour is fare...what does it matter. If I had a bad back and he could fix it. I would pay him $15,000.00/hour.

Very few "Top Caliber" players can teach. All the best coaches/instructors in any sport have ALWAYS BEEN the average athlete who couldn't make it to the top rung of their chosen profession. Name the top 3 coaches in any sport, Baseball, Football, Golf, Hockey and check if they are in their respective hall of fame as a player?

Most elite players have an internal something over and above their natural abilities. This "Spark" can't be taught and thus I think they have problems teaching.

For the record:
1. I wouldn't pay $150.00 (Can afford it but don't see a need today)
It's a free market and if someone else sees value...

2. The pool hall owner was "wrong" only in changing the rules in mid-flight. If coke is $18.00 a can then I can decide up front. Don't tell me have way through it.

I'll go back to lurking again.
Let the flaming begin.

Nick

Scott Lee
06-15-2003, 09:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nick B:</font><hr>

Do I think $150.00/hour is fare...what does it matter. If I had a bad back and he could fix it. I would pay him $15,000.00/hour.

Nick
<hr /></blockquote>

Nick...Just to set the record straight...the $150 was for THREE hours, not just one!

Scott

Nick B
06-15-2003, 09:59 PM
Scott,

$150.00 for 3 hours of professional instruction is more than fair. Thx for setting me straight. If you ever come up to Vancouver Canada I'll be the first to sign up.

Nick