PDA

View Full Version : How did you begin in the game?

silverbullet
06-15-2003, 05:38 PM
I would have to say on a barbox 30 years ago, with no idea of what a stroke was and no idea that there was such a thing as professional pool.

SB

Nightstalker
06-15-2003, 05:41 PM
I started about 18 years ago on an 8ft table which my uncle owned. A few years later I played on my father's table, it was an 8ft as well. Now I play on bar boxes at the various establishments in the area or my parents new 8ft table.

DebraLiStarr
06-15-2003, 06:29 PM
I started playing pool in high school with friends. We'd play every day after school at a place called Q-topia, in Kissimmee, Florida. I didn't get serious about the game until about 3 years ago when I was living in McKinney, Texas. Now I compete in three tournaments a week, along with league play. It sounds strange, but today I could not picture my life without playing pool. It is just a big part of who I am and what I do.

eg8r
06-15-2003, 06:38 PM
Pushing balls around the table...about 25 years ago. Playing with the cue with intent on pocketing the ob about 23. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif My grandfather owned a pool hall/bar and I went there everyday after school/day care/nursery. He picked me up everyday around 12 till I went to school, then he picked me up around 2. Quite opposite of Debra, when I moved here to Tx I have stopped shooting. I might play about 1 or 2 times a month. Not sure why, but the desire has not been there like it was before.

eg8r

Qtec
06-15-2003, 06:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Playing with the cue with intent on pocketing the ob about 23.
<hr /></blockquote>

23 what ? Days ,months, minutes ???????? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Q

06-15-2003, 07:39 PM
About 27 years ago I think, my best friend lived across the street and his parents bought him a 7' Sears &amp; Roebuck table. That was my first taste of the game, and we played for hours and hours cramped up in that little room they put it in. I took the game up seriously a few years later, and played very seriously while in the service, both here in the States and overseas. Then I laid my cue down for 10 years or so, and just picked it up again about a year ago. Sometimes I feel like I'm learning things all over again -- the theory of how to play the shot is still vivid in my mind, but my timing or stroke is still off a bit. My consistency sucks, so I've a feeling the fundamentals are a bit rusty. Hopefully Scott can scrape off some that rust and get me back in shape when he stops by my house later this month... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

houseman
06-15-2003, 08:22 PM
I started in a small town fire hall billiard room. A 5x10 old Brunswick table with the old clay balls. Soon as I hit my first ball I was hooked. 43 yrs later in my own pool room still playing, but don`t love it near as much.

JoePickens
06-15-2003, 10:14 PM
I started playing pool 41 years ago when I was in the 10th grade. Everyday I would stop in the local drugstore and play the pin-ball machine. One day a friend of mine asked me why I never played pool. I told him because the pin-ball machine only cost a nickle a game, but it cost a dime a game to play pool. When he said that if you won it didn't cost anything because the loser had to pay. I started playing pool the next day and I've been playing ever since.

L.S. Dennis
06-15-2003, 11:46 PM
Back in the early 60's around 62 I would say my father had a liquor store directly across the street from Dorothy Wise's billiard room in Redwood City California. Well it was only a matter of time before curiosity got the best of me and I made my way across the street to see what was going on in this mysterious place and well the rest is history I suppose.

UTAddb
06-15-2003, 11:58 PM
I'd always admired pool but only had the chance to play a couple times a year. I started going to a poolhall occasionally when I was 14 or 15, then got a table a year ago and have been playing non-stop.

GreenLion
06-16-2003, 12:24 AM
My Great Grandfather was a Methodist Minister and retired in 1976.The youth group gave my Great Grandfather an 8ft Table when he retired.As a very young child i used to just roll the balls into one another with my hand.When i got a little order i started shooting with the stick.At that time i just liked to play and had no real desire to get real good.when i was about 16 i started to really study how to play position so i could get alittle better then i was.I was getting pretty good at it to.When i turned 19 my Great Grandfather passed away.I really miss him.He used to come down and shoot with me alot untill his knees got to bad.He wanted me to have the Pool table since he knew i enjoyed playing on it.my parents had the Table stored away for 5 yrs because we had no room for it at that time.But now we live in a new home with a good sized basement and ive had the table up for about 2 yrs.Now days i play as much i as i can.In the 2 yrs ive been playing again i have really come along ways in this great game.Ever since i started doing Drills instead of just playing 9 ball and 8 ball all the time my stroke has really taken off.Ive learned alot about position play in the last 2 yrs so im now able to run tables alot.I play on the VNEA 8ball League.Today im very thankful to have a Pool Hall(when we had the table stored there was not a pool hall in town)and my Great Grandfathers table up again. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

06-16-2003, 05:46 AM
When my parents decided to put a basement under their house in Wisconsin they put a used barbox table in just before the house was finally lowered back onto the new foundation. As a result the table was forever vanquished to that location unless it was totally dismantled. Anyway, that got me started and, along with a few buddies, began what has been a love affair for the game. I got in a few local tournaments and even won a few, once winning a stick which I still own. But the crowning event in my then blossoming game was the golden opportunity to see an exhibition match with Willie Masconi. To say he had a major influence on me and how I played the game would be a gross understatement. Since then pool has always been a part of me which will never deminish.

pooldaddy9
06-16-2003, 05:51 AM
On a nine foot, thirty-five years ago. A local pool hall. All that was around here were nine footers. Wish I had kept playing for those 35 years. They say it's like riding a bike once you learn but 35 years changes a lot of that.

Fred Agnir
06-16-2003, 07:10 AM
Rehash of old post.

When I first started playing, I had a slate 5' table. That's right, 5'. There were a handful of cues, but only one had a tip. After a while, that one didn't have a tip either. So for months straight, I played pool without a tip. I even chalked the "tip". And since I had a handful of cues, I just kept going to the next one when the "tip" was beat to hell.

Fred

Tom_In_Cincy
06-16-2003, 07:57 AM
My buddies and I were waiting on a bowling lanes to free up, so we decided to play on the pool tables in the back. I was 17 and have been playing ever since. That was 1965

UWPoolGod
06-16-2003, 08:31 AM
I had played maybe 5 racks before going to college. Then there were two 9 foot 50's chrome sided Brunswicks in my dorm. Started banging and then wanted to beat the better players. The games area was open from 2:00PM-2:00AM and I was there pretty much the whole time. Until I started getting bad grades, but by that time I didn't have to practice as much anyway.

Todd &lt;--- still after the campus games area manager to keep me in line for one of those Brunswicks if they upgrade.

jbullerjr
06-16-2003, 11:02 AM
1988, first year of college at U of Houston, playing 9 ball on a 10 foot snooker table

Brian in VA
06-16-2003, 11:13 AM
At the age of 5 my father bought an 8 foot table at a tent sale at Montgomery Wards. Thing had a plywood bed, I think, talk about bad rolls. You had to shoot hard. That was in 1962. Moved to real tables when I was ten by sweeping the floors at a local pool room called the Cue and Chalk in Arlington VA where I grew up. Also did that at Jack and Jill in Falls Church (that was a famous road players hangout). Started playing in a league in 93 in North Carolina. Got back into one 4 years ago here in Richmond. Wished I hadn't wasted all that time not playing competitively.
Brian

Deeman
06-16-2003, 02:11 PM
Boy's Club Memphis, Tennessee in 1965. It probably kept me out of jail at that time. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9 Ball Girl
06-16-2003, 02:24 PM
When I was about 7 years old back in 1980. My Dad used to play in a softball league every Sunday in the summer and afterwards all of the families would go to a family oriented social club where they had a dart board, a foosball table and the beautiful green table with the colorful balls. I played on and off and have now been playing steadily for 3 years.

rackmup
06-16-2003, 03:00 PM
An alcoholic Father (may he have peace and happiness wherever he is now), a roll of quarters from Dad and his command:

"Stay out of my way until I fall off my bar stool. Make sure you save one quarter to call your Mother to pick us up. Now, beat it."

I was 8 years old, it was another "Father/Son outing" at Tex's Tavern, 15th Avenue and Broadway Road in Phoenix, AZ. Hey...it was the only place my Dad would spend any time with me so I took it.

I could barely see the top of the barbox.

Regards,

Ken (Watched Dad fall off that "wagon" many times, called Mom even more and once watched Dad bite another man's ear off during a fight over a dominoes game. He wasn't even playing. The bar was out of pickled pigs feet and I think he was just hungry. At least, that's what I told the cops.)

dg-in-centralpa
06-16-2003, 05:23 PM
I was about 12 when my parents bought my two brothers and I a bar box with a plywood bed that had a bow in the middle with cheap 5 piece cues. Then a few years later they bought a slate bed bar box. One of the requirements for the buying the house I have now, is that it has to have room for a table. Even though it's a bar box, I still have something to shoot on. Now I want to build an addition or take the garage and turn it into a game room so I can put a 9 footer.

Karatemom
06-16-2003, 06:50 PM
I grew up with a bumper pool/poker table in the family room. Shot an awful lot on that table, and played a few hands of cards as well, and Dad still has it, but never uses it. Who'd have thought it would have led to this after all these years!

Heide

dddd
06-16-2003, 09:15 PM
i was 16 and it was in chicago ill my fathers basement

Rod
06-16-2003, 11:45 PM
Oh, moving the cue backward and forward! LOL

joepool
06-19-2003, 10:37 PM
About the time of "The Hustler", I started playing at Southern Bowling Lanes in Memphis. I wasn't quite old enough to be there (and yes, i'm really old now! LOL) but I got in often and played rotation with my HS friends a year or so. Then when i was 16 (old enuf to get in a pool hall in Memphis in those days) I began playing snooker on 9-ft snooker tables with 9 redballs. Eventually played 9-ball, 8-ball, one pocket, 14.1, banks, etc.
Today I am still working hard on becoming a better player.

Jon from MN
06-19-2003, 11:03 PM
1963 I used to rack balls at the pool hall.I was 7. They let me start playing soon after and by the time I was 10 I was beating everyone at the ymca. When I was 12 I played at the bowling alley and started gambling for 20-50 set By the age of 16 I played all over MN for big bucks. by the age of 20 I played all over the upper midwest and as far south as florida. Now I teach play some leagues and promote the sport. Man I feel OLD got to nap now good night! Jon from mn

stick8
06-19-2003, 11:09 PM
Hello: after reading all mthe post, I guess I am the old one in the groupe my brother took me in pool room when i us 15,yr had a birthday wed, I was65.pyed rotation and snooker still shoot a little great sport for young ones to learn. stick

Fred Agnir
06-20-2003, 09:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> Rehash of old post.

When I first started playing, I had a slate 5' table. That's right, 5'. There were a handful of cues, but only one had a tip. After a while, that one didn't have a tip either. So for months straight, I played pool without a tip. I even chalked the "tip". And since I had a handful of cues, I just kept going to the next one when the "tip" was beat to hell.

Fred <hr /></blockquote>This is a related addendum.

I think I was 9 or 10. I went with my Dad to pick up my sister at the
Masonic Temple. She was waiting at the Temple in a rec. room playing 8-ball on this 9' table. I'd never really played before but was fascinated by the click of the balls. Neither my sister nor her friend had a clue as to what they were doing, but occassionally, one of them would catch a ball just right. The ball would hit the leather pocket with that wonderful *thwap* sound.

My sister let my father and I play a bit before we went home. For a guy who never plays, my dad has some obvious natural talent. My father only knew one game: rotation. So that was the first game that I knew as far as rules go.

In that first magical rack, I couldn't make a straight shot to save my life. I was able to make all of two balls: a bank on the 5, and a kick on the 13. My father apparently feeling no need to praise his young son on these accomplishments rewarded me with "lucky shot" on each.

And such was the spark that lit my burning desire. I never wanted to hear him tell me "lucky shot" again. Gee, dad. Thanks.

Fred &lt;~~~ off to therapy