PDA

View Full Version : Player reviews of the minor tours

Rio
06-16-2003, 08:50 AM
I played in a Viking 9-Ball Tour event recently. It was very well run and had a good prize fund. The entry fee was $30 plus $15 for an annual tour card. The tournament drew a good mix of local players and bigger dogs (including Bobby Pickle, B.J. Ussery, and Howard Vickery). I had a damn good time, and I think the competitive experience I got is going to help me. I'd recommend the Viking Tour to anyone above the beginner level. Info about the Viking Tour is available at http://www.vikingcue.com/9balltour.htm . I think you can reach Tour Director Mike Janis (who posts here) at vikingtour@sbcglobal.net . Question: how about some player reviews of the other minor tours? For example, has anybody here got any experience with the Pechauer Tour, the Florida Amateur Tour, the Great Southern 9-Ball Tour, the NE Players Tour, or any others? I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Thanks,
Rio

pooltchr
06-16-2003, 09:30 AM
The Pechauer Southeast tour is very similar to Viking tour. Run by Tommy Kennedy who also plays in them, you can expect the same level of players. The higher entry fee usually results in higher payoffs. The Lucasi Florida amateur and Carolina amateur tours are designed for the players just a bit lower in skill level. Both exclude the top regional players and pro's, so your strong league player types have a legitimate shot at getting into the money.

Rio
06-16-2003, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the info, pooltchr.

Might be nice to get reviews of the women's minor tours in this same thread.

Rio

Rich R.
06-17-2003, 06:04 AM
Whenever they are close to me, I attend tournaments, as a spectator, including the Falcon 9-Ball Tour (formerly Planet-Pool Tour) and the ladies Chesapeake Area Tour and North-East Women's Tour which I believe is being renamed to the Pechauer North-East Women's Tour.
All of these tours are run very well, with a lot of dedicated, people working very hard, to make them all a success.

MarkUrsel
06-17-2003, 11:05 AM
A popular minor tour - although have a look at the player list and maybe it's not so "minor" after all - is the Tristate Tour. It covers the NYC/Tristate area with tournaments in NY and NJ. A few of the names from this board can certainly be found as well!

It's a very competitive tour with a lot of handicap levels allowing people to play in tournaments where they are matched against players of their own skill level. You can also bite off as much as you'd like to chew and play in the open events against pros and should-be-pros.

Check it out at www.tristate-tour.com (http://www.tristate-tour.com)

9 Ball Girl
06-17-2003, 12:13 PM
Inside Pool Magazine covers a lot of the Regional Tours. That's one of the reasons I subscribe to that magazine. I love it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Barbara
06-17-2003, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Rich!!

The J. Pechauer NorthEast Women's Tour is having their NJ State 8-Ball Championship this weekend at Castle Billiards in East Rutherford, NJ. And I finally get to play in it, too! (last year I was having a melt down with an accelerated networking course)

And yesterday I believe I found a new home for the PA State 9-Ball Championships. Tacony Billiards has tentavely agreed to host the event for us!!! Woohoo!!

You can read all about us at : www.newt9ball.com (http://www.newt9ball.com)

Barbara

9 Ball Girl
06-17-2003, 02:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr>You can read all about us at : www.newt9ball.com (http://www.newt9ball.com)
<hr /></blockquote>

It's looking good! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

MikeJanis
06-17-2003, 10:01 PM
Rio, thanks for the good words. We also had a good time at Breakers in Knoxville. We (Leah and myself) even stuck around until Tuesday. Monday night we played in the local handicapped tournament at Breakers. I took 4th place and Leah took 3rd.

Anyway, the Viking Tour is on our Summer Break and I probably wont do another event until late July.
I hope you can make it to some of the future events.

Again, thanks for the compliments about the tour and the event.

Mike Janis
The Viking Cue 9-Ball Tour

Predator314
06-18-2003, 06:37 AM
The Viking tournies stay pretty close to my area. I haven't been to any, but plan to when they come back around. My friend went to a few last year (Hickory, Huntington, Charlotte, Greenville). He said they are great. The only exception was the one in Charlotte at Mother's Billiards. He said the A/C was broke and it was too hot to shoot.

cueball1950
06-18-2003, 08:44 PM
I think the Joss Tour here in the Northeast is a pretty solid tour. After all, you get Rempe, Sambajon, Alcano, Bustamante, parica, Pagulyan, Danny Hewitt, Earl Strickland, Ginky, Mika Immonen, Karen Corr, Julie Kelly. Even Charlie Williams shows up fpr the tournament in Rochester, NY every year. The list goes on and on. Plus the tour promoter Mike Zugland who is no slouch himself. There is always a good quality field in all his tournaments. Mr Rempe stated once that it is the hardest tour to win on. Just my opinion...............................Mike