PDA

View Full Version : Me and "My" Backer

9 Ball Girl
06-16-2003, 11:41 AM
So I'm sitting at the pool hall on Friday night watching some of my friends play when one of the guys that I know asked me to come over so that he could introduce me to some of his friends. I walked over and one of them noticed that I was carrying my poolcues. He asked me if I could play well and I said I play alright. He then asked me if I thought I could beat his friend and I said I didn't know because I'd never seen him play. He then said that he wants me to play his friend a race to 7 in 9 Ball and he would back me. Now, it's one thing if I play for money when it's my own money but I've never played with someone else's money. I asked how much and he said $200. I said, you gotta be kidding me. He said that he'd seen me play and he felt that I could beat his friend. I said no way I'm not gonna play for $200. He said not to worry that it's his money. Reluctantly, I obliged.

We get to the table, me and this guy I'd never seen play. He lets me break because I'm a lady. Blah. Anyway, it went back and forth. He'd win, I'd win and so on. Finally, we were both on the hill and meanwhile, I'm nervous as hell 'cause now we've got a little crowd watching since the word went around that we were playing a single set for $200. It was a bet between my friend and his friend so it wasn't like I was going to get any cash from it if I'd won. Anyway, he breaks the final rack, sinks the 8 ball, runs to the 2 ball, and misses the 3. Now everything is wide open, nothing's touching the rail. I exhale and look at the layout. "Come on girl, you can do it" is what I'm saying to myself in my head. Ok so I get down and start shooting away. I ran it out to the 7 ball and the CB didn't have enough gas to come back far enough for the 9 ball and wound up like this:

START(
%I`9C8%P_2I7

)END

The WEI Table (http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html)

I "gasped" and looked at the mini crowd like "WTF" and found my boyfriend watching and he winked. Teehee. Don't you know I cut that sucker right in the corner hole over there. How I didn't scratch in the side pocket was an act of God in itself but afterwards I let out a big breath and that was that. Ok that's it, just a story I wanted to share.

Wally_in_Cincy
06-16-2003, 11:45 AM
I hope the guy gave you a cut <font color="green">$$$$$$ </font color>

9 Ball Girl
06-16-2003, 11:50 AM
50 bucks and dinner. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tateuts
06-16-2003, 12:09 PM
9 Ball Girl,

Awesome shot and good story. You knew you could make it and fired it in. I was happy to read the story had a happy ending.

Here's what I was afraid the ending was going to be:

" I tried to bank the ball back into the side pocket, missed and sold out. When I went to get the $200 from my "backer" the guy was gone, just disappeared. His buddy insisted loudly and openly that I was stiffing him and flashed the handle of what looked like a .38. He proclaimed loudly that there was no backer and that I was lieing. I was so ashamed and scared, I paid him the $200. "

Please be careful around strangers. But, then again, you don't live in Los Angeles.

Oh yeah, one more thing. The percentage shot was to play a two way shot, - banking the moneyball toward the lower right corner pocket aiming toward the thin side, so if you miss, it bounces off the lower siderail and comes to rest on the headrail, with the cue ball ending up near the footrail (preferably in the middle) banking off the lower siderail. If you can get both balls near the center of the opposite rails, it's a tough situation for any player to get out of.

Chris

eg8r
06-16-2003, 12:12 PM
Great story and nice shot. Did you get any money? <font color="blue"> Never mind this question, I just read your reply to Wally. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif </font color>

eg8r

highsea
06-16-2003, 12:14 PM
That's a gutsy shot!

I probably would have tried this:

START(
%I`9C8%P_2I7%Wr3M9%Xa6D1%Y`0E5%Z_3H8%[_7D1%\`0D3%]D3P8%^^8C3
%eA4a5
)END

Of course, I would have probably missed it and left him straght in... /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I bet next time he makes you lag for the break!

-CM

Drake
06-16-2003, 12:24 PM
Sounds like your backer won all the way around.....He got to take you to dinner,too! Was that with your boyfriend or not??

Tom_In_Cincy
06-16-2003, 12:31 PM
So you really do play like a girl... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

GReat story Wendy.. Glad you won

9 Ball Girl
06-16-2003, 12:32 PM
Watching too many movies, eh? LOL As far as being careful around strangers, hey, I'm a chick from NY. 'Nuf said! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Deeman
06-16-2003, 12:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Now, it's one thing if I play for money when it's my own money but I've never played with someone else's money. I asked how much and he said $200. I said, you gotta be kidding me. <hr /></blockquote>

Congratulations Wendy! However, I might say, playing with OPM is the best way to go. Don't avoid it. If a backer puts up, just play your best and let the rest work it's way out. If he couldn't afford it, he wouldn't put it up.

Hey, do I see side action for Wendy at the CCB Tournament? /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

9 Ball Girl
06-16-2003, 12:38 PM
Well, my poolhall sells great food, not the usual burger and fries fare, but real Spanish food (plantains, rice beans, steak, etc.) so he bought dinner there which was fine by me because I love eating and watching people play. My boyfriend wasn't included, after all, he wasn't the one who won the game! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. But we all know each other there so it's all good. He's got nothing to worry about.

9 Ball Girl
06-16-2003, 12:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman:</font><hr> Hey, do I see side action for Wendy at the CCB Tournament? /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif <hr /></blockquote>Thanks! Side action, eh? Well, I'll be there all week long. How about you and I play for say $20 a set? /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wendy~~~knows there's so much action in the poolroom during the US Open we might win some $$$ without picking up a cue!

Deeman
06-16-2003, 12:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> <hr /></blockquote>Thanks! Side action, eh? Well, I'll be there all week long. How about you and I play for say $20 a set? /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Uh! Oh! Is this where I have to put up or shut up? I'll be glad to play you but was more interested in betting the side action.

Busy thinking of excuses for losing to Wendy!

Karatemom
06-16-2003, 01:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> 50 bucks and dinner. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
<hr /></blockquote>Hey Wendy, nice job! But it sounds to me like you got the short end of the stick. I asked CC about it, gave him the same scenario. He said you should have gotten 50% plus some "jelly". After all, you did do all the work, right? Either way, I'm glad you showed them how to shoot like a girl - damn good!

Heide

Eric.
06-16-2003, 01:50 PM
Looks like Gerda and Jean aren't the only female big hitters in Brooklyn /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Nice shot, nice win!

Eric

9 Ball Girl
06-16-2003, 02:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman:</font><hr>Uh! Oh! Is this where I have to put up or shut up?<hr /></blockquote>Nah, we'll just play for fun--or for a beer or two, Kato style. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman:</font><hr>I'll be glad to play you but was more interested in betting the side action.<hr /></blockquote>I can tell we're going to have tons of fun in VA! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Sid_Vicious
06-16-2003, 02:36 PM
I resisted in posting but now that you've laid out what you'd have done CM,,,I would have done that very thing also. Short "chops" into the rail slicing a ball thin from less than 2 feet away intimidates me, besides if you miss that cut you've pretty much sold out cuz the OB isn't gonna have the speed to bounce far away from the hole...sid~~~does not like playing with someone else' money

9 Ball Girl
06-16-2003, 02:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr>Hey Wendy, nice job! But it sounds to me like you got the short end of the stick. I asked CC about it, gave him the same scenario. He said you should have gotten 50% plus some "jelly". After all, you did do all the work, right? Either way, I'm glad you showed them how to shoot like a girl - damn good!<hr /></blockquote>

I guess but it's something I should've discussed before I played but the whole backer thing was nerve "racking". (pun intended) /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato
06-16-2003, 02:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr>Nah, we'll just play for fun--or for a beer or two, Kato style. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

What are you talking about? I don't like beer /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Kato

9 Ball Girl
06-16-2003, 02:39 PM
Hahahahaha! If I could only play with that caliber! Thanks!

9 Ball Girl
06-16-2003, 02:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> What are you talking about? I don't like beer /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif<hr /></blockquote>

Really? (raising eyebrow). Okay, then Deeman and I can play for something alcoholicly wet. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9 Ball Girl
06-16-2003, 02:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I resisted in posting but now that you've laid out what you'd have done CM,,,I would have done that very thing also. Short "chops" into the rail slicing a ball thin from less than 2 feet away intimidates me, besides if you miss that cut you've pretty much sold out cuz the OB isn't gonna have the speed to bounce far away from the hole...sid~~~does not like playing with someone else' money <hr /></blockquote>

Sid you are absolutely right. But, OTOH, my specialty is cutting them thin. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I know now that I'm not a big fan of playing with someone else's $$$, hell, I even feel weird when I'm bought in a calcutta!

Karatemom
06-16-2003, 02:47 PM
This is true, but I have to say, You've got guts. I don't know that I could gamble with someone else's dough. I don't even like to gamble with my own! LOL

Heide ~ has yet to gamble in a ph

Karatemom
06-16-2003, 02:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I resisted in posting but now that you've laid out what you'd have done CM,,,I would have done that very thing also. Short "chops" into the rail slicing a ball thin from less than 2 feet away intimidates me, besides if you miss that cut you've pretty much sold out cuz the OB isn't gonna have the speed to bounce far away from the hole...sid~~~does not like playing with someone else' money <hr /></blockquote>

We think alike, Sid. I would have been more comfortable banking that shot, and if I miss, leave him safe, hopefully /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Heide ~ been overcutting all her cuts lately

9 Ball Girl
06-16-2003, 02:54 PM
I don't mind banking, but the 9 ball was frozen on the rail and if it were at least half an inch off, I would've banked instead of sliced. I have to admit though that after I cut it in, I was like "what was I thinking?!" I think I would've gone for the safety had it been my cheese! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Terry
06-16-2003, 03:15 PM
Hi Wendy, when I first seen the shot you took, I was thinking bank all the way ( your diagram of the shot didn't show it as a frozen to the cushion shot ). It was a gutsy shot, good shooting. Terry

cheesemouse
06-16-2003, 03:17 PM
FOR THE CHEESE BABY!!!!!!!! Nice shot

P.S I would have banked it with my own money too... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sid_Vicious
06-16-2003, 05:47 PM
I spent the afternoon, evening, slept over(a Lot but that's another story) and played my better game for half of Sunday at SPetty's spectacular pool room, DAMN that's world class for home entertainment! Anyway, Wendy's point-in-time where the BF winked at her, and she sparked up and sliced that shot down the rail....well, that is what I think a framed sign on SPetty's wall really meant, and after asking and getting the history on the slogan, I began to use it. You see, it's far easier to get into a beatup mode with yourself, forgetting that you really are " that good." Seriously, you know you're good, if you'll simply allow yourself to remember that when it's crucial. I'm not telling you to be foolish, but Wendy's cut down the rail for the win, all chronicled by the back and forth wins to get on the hill...well that was what I call "the player defining the moment" NOT "the moment defining the player", and 100% makes the point for that slogan at SPetty's Pool Palace. 9BG gave us the play by play with her finish to a hellova ending to the set, and I for one should have left the "what-ifs" out of my responses.

You got that wink Windy, with a crowd all on your side(I bet) and it worked, had a lot to do with that instant that you remembered just how good you really were...sid~~~won some cash Sunday after leaving SPetty's, flashing that slogan in my mind when I needed it, shooting above my head, or was I? ;-)

Rod
06-16-2003, 11:51 PM
Nice shot 9BG!

Deniel
06-17-2003, 12:13 AM
This is kinda weird coz I had the exact same shot on a tournament the other day, and I also opted to cut it except I didn't make it and left the ball hanging in the jaws, bummer. Now where my luck went /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Deniel ~~ knows Wendy doesn't need luck to make that one /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OnePocketChamp
06-18-2003, 05:22 AM
Man, here I spent the last week at "FA" (Fantasies Anonymous) trying to get the beach thing worked out and come out doing fine until I read this post. The girl playing on a backers money for a couple of dead presidents and winning. There will be no help for me now, I am doomed!!!!

Hey, great story and it must have been alot of fun after the last shot.