PDA

View Full Version : 10 percent to the player???

Drake
06-16-2003, 01:52 PM
Ok, here's the scenario. I stroll into the pool room last week to find a local player in a gambling game for 100 game giving up the Seven ball. I always enjoy a good game where the players are sweating every ball and seems like it could be missed due to nerves. Anyway, The Pool room owner is backing the player who is giving up the 7. He loses 10 games in a row. I offered Player B the Seven for the same amount and we start to play. The pool room owner bets 100 on the side and does not offer me a penny of the bet....and I proceed to win 10 in a row. So, The pool room owner did not throw me anything at all because he said he was even!!! I think he should have given me 10 percent!! What do you guys think?? This explains why people get dumped!!

Deeman
06-16-2003, 02:06 PM
The difference in side bets and backing are not always clear but he should have thrown you a bone, at least!

bolo
06-16-2003, 02:38 PM
I would say no one has an automatic right to bet on your game at all if he is betting with the player or the backer. If it is just a side bet with another with non involved watcher, then it would be nice if he gave you something, but not necessary. You just don't want your player to go broke on the side. Even if he is trying to raise the bet and you don't want to at the time, you may soon and it is no one else's business. That's the way I see it.

smfsrca
06-16-2003, 02:50 PM
A player should never expect to be extended a courtesy pay off for side action betting. Whether or not the courtesy is provided usually depends on the circumstances and is at the discretion of the betters. Here are the 2 extremes:
1. A tournament with a large number of players. There is a lot of side betting going on. Most of the time a player is not even aware of any side bets on his match.
2. There are only 4 people in the room. The 2 players and the 2 betters.

Do you expect a payoff in both of these situations? How about somewhere in between? How can you tell the difference between circumstances where you should get something and those for which you don't?
Steve in CA

SpiderMan
06-16-2003, 02:50 PM
I thought a backing situation involved prearrangement of the split, and side betting amongst onlookers was just that and nothing else. Right, wrong, sometimes, maybe?

On Wednesday nights there's a room full of big-money action at my local PH, and nobody could even guess who's betting on what amongst the onlookers.

SpiderMan