PDA

View Full Version : The amazing amgine

highsea
06-17-2003, 02:45 AM
From the Wally in Cincy thread:

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote amgine:</font><hr> I have played pool for 11 years, and have over 30, 000 hours on the practice tables. I have refereed at the provincial level, and been asked to ref at the national level. I have competed in well over 1000 tournaments in pool, and have won 272 at this point. I have owned and operated my own room, and have been the house pro in a major city. Personally I have set up leagues, and directed over 150 events. I have had many students, and have taught for the past 5 years. My passion for the game and its well being is second to none, and has been such for 11 years. Thanks very much for your interest.
<hr /></blockquote>
I was just sitting here reviewing the vast accomplishments of the amazing yet somewhat mysterious amgine.

Now, I'm not the the shiniest penny in the pile, but it seems like I should be able to figure out who this mysterious person is. Let's see.

In 11 years playing pool, he has competed in well over 1000 tournaments. That works out to an average of 1.75 tournaments per week for the 11 years. I will just guess that he didn't play in that many his first year, so lets call it 2 per week for the past 10 years. Of those, he has won 272, or a little over 25%. I am going to assume that you can't win 1 out of every 4 tournaments you enter without getting a few second and third places also. I don't know what the actual percentages would be, but I am going to be conservative and assume that the 2nd and 3rds at least equal the wins. After all, we can't just start at the top. So I think it is safe to say that amgine has placed in the top 3 in at least half, and possibly 2/3 of all the tournaments he has ever entered.
Now that's dam* impressive.

In addition to this, he has directed over 150 events. If you exclude his first year of playing pool, when he was just learning the game, that works out to 15 events per year, or roughly one every 3 weeks for the past 10 years.
Not too shabby....

Now, we don't know how many tournaments or league nights he referreed in, but we know that he personally set up leagues, and was a house pro in a major city, so lets just say a couple nights per week for that. Call it a few hundred total. After all, he was asked to referree on the national level. Again, pretty impressive....

He has been teaching pool for 5 years. Let's say a couple days per week, a couple hours per day.

He ran his own pool room. Now, I have never run my own pool room, but I have run my own business. If my days were shorter that 12 hours, I considered myself lucky.

He was able to accomplish all of these things, while averaging 7 1/2 hours per day on the practice table, 365 days a year, for 11 years.

Now, I have figured out who amgine is, and I know everyone wants me to reveal his true identity, but I'm not going to do that.

But, Scott, let me know when you guys are going to play your match. I want to give you some kryptonite to put in your pool case. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-CM

bluewolf
06-17-2003, 04:16 AM
....and dont forget. Typed in at least three distinct writing styles. Are we talking multiple personality disorder, a flagrant lyer, someone who is not too bright in his/her math or any of the above?

bw

Wally_in_Cincy
06-17-2003, 07:11 AM
I was hoping someone would do the math on that /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif . thanx

Ralph S.
06-17-2003, 07:37 AM
LOL Highsea. Kryptonite in Scott's cue case. Hey Scott, after you expose him to the Kryptonite, yank his cape off and stuff it in his mouth for good measure. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

UWPoolGod
06-17-2003, 09:45 AM
A lot of tourney winning percentage depends on what types of tourneys and the talent pool. Last summer for 6 months and this spring for 3, since I have been here in Seattle, I played in the same bar tourney with a limited talent pool. Lots of players with their own cues who have been playing for years in bars but have not practiced lots of hours to get good against the best. Being satisfied with their ability against the rest of the bar players. I befriended them all and spent a lot of money at the bar so they keep me around. But I kept playing there because I liked the money.

Playing in two tourneys a week, for a total of nine months gets to 72 total tourneys at this one bar. I have not gotten into the money there I believe 12 times with winning the tourney 39 times and getting in the money the rest. Now I know this is an inconsequential little bar that averages between 14-22 players per week, but with the bar adding 100%, first is between $80-$125.

Playing in the better poolhall tourneys I get into the money 1 in 5, with better competition slowing the percentage. I talked to the local stakehorse who only plays cards and pool about the difference of playing good pool on 9 footers against the better competition and not getting in the money much. Versus playing in the bars against weaker players on 7 footers and getting in the money all the time. His advice was "if you want to develop as a player... play on the 9's against the best, but if you NEED the money at the moment play in the bar." Since I have been in college and need the money I have played in the bar. Now that I will be actually making some money I will be able to afford to play in the pool hall.

Just wanted to emphasize the importance of knowing what types of tourneys people play in when talking about winning percentages. I am a pretty competent player, however below many of the local poolhall players who have played for 20 years three hours a day on 9 footers.

More rambling....

Todd

06-18-2003, 04:42 AM
You guys are crazy. I know who amgine is, and he is a good man. I don't know for sure, but his stats are probably right. The guy plays all the time,and seems to win everything. Just be happy you are not playing him for any money. Amazing is a good word. I think he is a member of mensa for many years also, he is probably too smart for his own good. You guys seem very rude. Wanted tolook in here, and see what it was. I hope he doesn't come back.

highsea
06-18-2003, 04:50 AM
BAAHAHAHAHA ~~~~&gt;http://www.kurts-smilies.de/undwech.gif Cough, Cough, Cough, Phtttuiii!...Ahh, that's better...

highsea
06-18-2003, 05:01 AM
Sorry, everyone...penalize me 2 posts and a hot dog.

-CM

bluewolf
06-18-2003, 05:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sabrina:</font><hr> You guys are crazy. I know who amgine is, and he is a good man. <hr /></blockquote>

Is he willing to face off with the better of us? If not, he is nothing but a 'paper tiger'.

bw

pooltchr
06-18-2003, 06:12 AM
Interesting. The first post a "stranger" makes on the board is to defend amgine. It causes me to wonder about the identity of Sabrina.

Kato
06-18-2003, 06:34 AM
You're right Sabrina, we were mean http://smilies.networkessence.net/s/contrib/edoom/ALD.gif

Kato~~~has not personally been mean but can be probablyhttp://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/edoom/laser_shot_jump.gif

Fred Agnir
06-18-2003, 06:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sabrina:</font><hr> I think he is a member of mensa for many years also, he is probably too smart for his own good. <hr /></blockquote>With apologizes to all legitimate and street-wise MENSA members, anyone who has to use the "he's in MENSA" angle is sadly missing out on what is and isn't important in life.

Fred &lt;~~~ doesn't think AMGINE is too smart for anything

Anonamus
06-18-2003, 06:54 AM
Seems to me I've seen this guys post somewhere else. Can't remember where but it was the same username. Amgine is Enigma spelled backwards. He's soooo smart and clever too.

I think he lives in Canada and talks about how good he is to anyone who will listen. The girl that defended him is probably an old girlfriend that thinks he walks on water. If I remember right she would defend him on the other forum as well.

As you may have guessed he wasn't liked very much there either.