PDA

View Full Version : Hacker caught

Qtec
06-17-2003, 07:03 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/2987342.stm

If it was the other way around , would he be a terrorist ?

Q

eg8r
06-17-2003, 07:09 AM
I don't think so. I would say that is criminal activity but I did not read anywhere where he caused terror. Did you? I did not read anywhere that people were afraid for their lives if they went to that website and were redirected.

eg8r

highsea
06-17-2003, 09:58 AM
So say an Saddam sympthizer "hacked" the CNN website and redirected it.

No...that doesn't really qualify as terrorism. Just plain ol' hacking.

What surprised me was how long it took for Al Jazeera to figure out what happened.

The guy didn't even really hack their servers. He faked a letterhead, if I recall correctly, and used it to change the SOA for the Domain. A simple DNS lookup would have revealed the problem, but it took them several days to figure it out and correct it.

It really shouldn't have taken over 24 hours, max.

-CM

HAHAHA- I just re-read the statement by Al Jazeera's technical manager in the BBC article.

Al-Jazeera's technology manager welcomed the charges, but said the hacking of the site was a costly operation that could not have involved just one person.

"It is not difficult for one person to have the brain to do this, but the financial capabilities needed for the hacking are hard to find with one person," Salah Siddiki told the Associated Press.

<font color="blue"> Costly?? I think the guy did it with one stamp!

And speaking of conspiracies, ever notice how there always seems to be a news media helicopter overhead whenever there is a major accident, fire, etc...?

Coincidence? I wonder... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif</font color>

SPetty
06-17-2003, 10:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote highsea:</font><hr> And speaking of conspiracies, ever notice how there always seems to be a news media helicopter overhead whenever there is a major accident, fire, etc...?

Coincidence? I wonder... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>hahahaha! I've personally had was one of those "You know you're going to have a bad day when..." stories...

You know you're going to have a bad day when... you're stuck on the freeway in traffic that is not moving and you've just finished your large cup of coffee and you see seven news copters repeatedly circling the sky a few miles ahead of you...

It took almost four hours to get to work that day... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

stickman
06-17-2003, 09:42 PM
I think he should have gotten a medal for causing trouble for their propaganda center. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

highsea
06-18-2003, 04:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stickman:</font><hr> I think he should have gotten a medal for causing trouble for their propaganda center. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I'm with you, Stickman. $20.00 fine and 2o minutes of community service. (Commuted if that community service involves...urp, never mind) /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

-CM