PDA

View Full Version : Your money vs. a Backer's money

Wally_in_Cincy
06-17-2003, 09:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> ...the whole backer thing was nerve "racking"..... <hr /></blockquote>

To CCBer's, a poll. Are you more nervous playing with your own money or someone else's? I would not know since I've never met anybody stupid enough to stake me. But I used to back a gal on my league team for small stakes, $10 or $20 a game. Never more than I could afford to lose. I think that's the key, the backer is never going to put up more than he can afford (unless he's stupid) so the player really should not be nervous. Opinions?

Kato
06-17-2003, 09:50 AM
I am nervous playing for any money, even $1 a game. I know that sounds pathetic but that's the way I am.

Kato

UWPoolGod
06-17-2003, 10:01 AM
I am nervous playing for any money, even $1 a game. I know that sounds pathetic but that's the way I am. &lt;-- Kato

Thats about me too. I have played sets for $20,$50 if I know I can win. But at playing $5 a game against people I am shy. Don't know why, maybe its cause I couldn't afford that right now. LOL... sad

Rich R.
06-17-2003, 10:01 AM
I am a firm believer that you should NEVER gamble on anything, unless you can afford to lose.

Unfortunately, like Wally, I have never had a backer. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Sid_Vicious
06-17-2003, 10:13 AM
I only play with my own money! I once backed someone though, accident by nature, but it made for a fun story. We were just wrapping up league one night many years ago, and one of the regulars I know apparently got into a woofing match with one of the fellas on the team they were playing against, and Frank asks me, "Say, will you back me for one game of 8-ball for $20 to shut this guy up?" He obviously was still woofing cuz the guy was standing right there hearing all of our conversation. Ok I said.

Frank get the break, makes a ball and proceeds to run out like a road player would, not a hesitation in a single movement, then promptly takes the guys two tens and hands me one, smiling all the while.

I had fun,,,and yes it could have been a hustle but this time it wasn't...sid

tateuts
06-17-2003, 10:19 AM
Wally,

I will never play with a backers money. In too many cases I have found that what's going on is a chest thumping exercise, as in "my player can beat your player". That's just dumb.

One time I walked into the room and an uninformed young man comes over to me. He wants to stake me in a match against my best friend (who was baiting him)! To teach him a lesson, I agreed to play for $10 a game. I lost the first game and quit. He paid, and my friend and I walked out the door together to get some burgers. That was the best $10 lesson this guy ever had!

Gambling, unfortunately, is intregal to pool. I have found some great techniques for gambling with top players and it has helped me improve my game and turn me into a better money player.

regards,

Chris

Icon of Sin
06-17-2003, 10:26 AM
Hell i barely want to put up my money now, so I definately wouldnt fell comfortable using someone elses.

tateuts
06-17-2003, 11:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> I am nervous playing for any money, even $1 a game. I know that sounds pathetic but that's the way I am.

Kato <hr /></blockquote>

That reminds me of a player we had out here in Los Angeles. His name was Wally and he would only play for $1 a game 9 ball.

I started playing him and he was running out, making ungodly shots, and made the cue ball move like a yo-yo.

I said to my friend "Wow, Wally sure plays good for $1 a game"

My friend said "If you think that's good, you should see him play for 50 cents a game"!!!

Chris

Deeman
06-17-2003, 11:15 AM
Used to be nervous when playing with mine or another's money. Now, I only play with my own money but am not nervous but don't play as well or nearly as high.

I used to be more nervous when playing with my own money. Maybe nervous is not right, maybe more focused is the right word.

Rod
06-17-2003, 11:17 AM
It will be a warm day on Pluto when I play for a backer. If I like the game well enough to play it will be my money. I don't need a split when I can have 100 percent.

~~~ Rod, wished sometimes it was another persons doe. LOL

Predator314
06-17-2003, 11:37 AM
I would rather shoot on my own money. First of all, if I win, I get all the cash. Also, I stay more focused when using my own money.

I have been backed many times. I usually shoot as well, but tend to lose focus after a while.

I've staked a few people as well. It seems that most of the people I've backed play better with my money than their own. This is risky though. I've been shot in the creek before. Only back people you trust. Don't back a stranger.

9 Ball Girl
06-17-2003, 12:06 PM
I get nervous enough just playing competitively. That guy that backed me on Friday nite had told me not to worry about the cash. So what I did when I was playing, although I knew it was for $200, I physched (sp?) myself to think that I was just playing for fun. Like I said, I even get freaked out when someone buys me in a calcutta!

I've been a backer several times where I've lost and won but those are the chances you take...

The Rhino Chaser
06-17-2003, 12:21 PM
I am much more comfortable playing with a backer's money. Playing for a backer free's me up a little. However playing for my own money doesn't bother me much either. I just like to be in the game.

pooljunkie73
06-17-2003, 12:35 PM
I don't get nervous playing for money.If it's mine,i never gamble more than i can afford to lose.If it's a backer's,if he couldn't afford to lose it he wouldn't bet it.Had a guy back me in a race to 11 in 9 ball for 5 LARGE.I won 11-7.The biggest i've gone with my own money is $100 a game in 8 ball.

pooltchr
06-17-2003, 01:15 PM
The last time I had a backer cover me for 100 in a race to 7. He told me I get 20 if I win and no obligation if I don't. The guy I'm playing heard the deal and comes over to me and quitely offers to split if I let him win. I thought it over for all of about 3 seconds, then took him out 7-2, just 'cause he p*ssed me off!

#### leonard
06-19-2003, 06:32 AM
This Buddy Hipes story happened in Hudson NY. The room owner and Hipes backer was stuck 30 games at $30 a game. Hipes wouldn't play for anymore than $30 a game. He walked over to Buddy and asked him what was the matter. Hipes said to him, this guy can't play and 3 hours later Poughkepsie Mel quit stuck $1200.

Ralph S.
06-19-2003, 07:26 AM
I prefer to play on my own money, but wont hesitate to play using a backer so long as I know them well enough to trust.

06-19-2003, 08:26 PM
You boys just do not under stand how this thing works. I get backed now and then. You try not to gamble on your own money, you get some sausage who owns the local construction company who cant play a lick but is trying to be some kind of big shot in the pool hall to lay some dough on you. You match up against somebody who might arouse the interest of the room. You get everyone making bets on who wins. If the money is riding high on me, I have my shill put a bundle on the other guy and lose barely so it looks good and I get out of the joint alive. Winning or losing means nothing, its all about dumping on the suckers and leaving with all of their money. It's all a slick con, that is why they call us hustlers, just in case you have not figured that one out yet, which is obvious you have not.
You kiddies have a lot to learn about gamblin. Sounds like a board of beginners to me.
The Ice Mon

highsea
06-19-2003, 09:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote gna:</font><hr> You boys just do not under stand how this thing works. I get backed now and then. You try not to gamble on your own money, you get some sausage who owns the local construction company who cant play a lick but is trying to be some kind of big shot in the pool hall to lay some dough on you. You match up against somebody who might arouse the interest of the room. You get everyone making bets on who wins. If the money is riding high on me, I have my shill put a bundle on the other guy and lose barely so it looks good and I get out of the joint alive. Winning or losing means nothing, its all about dumping on the suckers and leaving with all of their money. It's all a slick con, that is why they call us hustlers, just in case you have not figured that one out yet, which is obvious you have not.
You kiddies have a lot to learn about gamblin. Sounds like a board of beginners to me.
The Ice Mon <hr /></blockquote>

From the thread: Re: Gambling, Pressure or Pleasure [re: Sid_Vicious] 06/17/03 09:49 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote gna:</font><hr>Dear Sid, excuse me son, but have you ever done a post where you do not talk about or glamorize gambling. There is another life out side of your dark inner world of losers, drunks, gamblers and druggies. You need to take some lessons from Scott Lee, lose your T shirt, go buy some real shirts with collars, enter some real tournaments and learn the joy of playing for tin cups.

There is more honor in winning a $20 tin cup than winning a $20 gambling match. Grow up son, look around, gambling is not the answer, it's becoming a winner of tournaments that gets you real respect. Gamblers are always looked down on.
The Ice Mon <hr /></blockquote>

Gna, you are not real consistent here.

-CM

Qtec
06-20-2003, 10:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
One time I walked into the room and an uninformed young man comes over to me. He wants to stake me in a match against my best friend (who was baiting him)! To teach him a lesson, I agreed to play for $10 a game. I lost the first game and quit. He paid, and my friend and I walked out the door together to get some burgers. That was the best $10 lesson this guy ever had!

<hr /></blockquote>

This is another if your ...and then i woke up stories . On what PLANET did this take place ? Could it have been the PH at the end of the YELLOW BRICK ROAD.?

Q

Tom_In_Cincy
06-20-2003, 10:34 AM
RhinO, .. good to see ya posting again..

Are you referring to POOL or GOLF or Both?

How's your golf game?