PDA

View Full Version : Gambling, Pressure or Pleasure

Sid_Vicious
06-17-2003, 11:43 AM
Something bugs me, people here say things like, "I make it a point when gambling to not let myself think about winning or losing my money", indicating that "it's just playing the balls one at a time" and keep the pressure off kind of philosophy. Tell me money players, if there's no alteration to the internal attitude, then what's the reason for putting money out on the table to begin with? Part of the reason I gamble(cheap Btw) is to intentionally add pressure. Over time I have gotten better at not losing stroke in the finish for the cash, and it bleeds over into some of my league matches, that toughness gained from playing for a little cash.

But I still wonder what some of y'all really gamble for if you indeed leave the loss or winning of money out of your mind when you are lining up on a hill-hill shot?

I have one or two people I simply like to gamble with due to their demeanor, but my main reason is for toughening my nerves. It DOES seem though that several people here have posted responses to questions in the past about choking in money games with "forget about the money altogether" attitude. If you forget about the money, why'd you even play for it to begin with???sid~~~human nature seems difficult to avoid

Tom_In_Cincy
06-17-2003, 11:56 AM
Sid,
I can't remember the last time I asked someone to gamble. Its usually the other way around. And, its usally from players that I have already played, trying to get their money back.
The really good players that will play high stakes, won't match up unless its a lock. I can't get a spot from them to make a game even close to even. So, I don't get to match up with them too often, except in tournaments.
Pressure comes from within, your mental state has a lot to do with how you play. Gambling is a way to keep score for a lot of good players, its not so much the money, but the final score. Did you win or loose? Not how much did you win or loose.
Its different from one player to another. The spot, odds, type of game, race or even where, have a lot to do with the way one player plays while gambling.
Playing One Pocket can frustrate a lot of really good 9 ball players, and visa versa. Its been a long time since I've seen anyone gamble playing 14.1 and even then, there was a huge spot involved. The better player lost. He just couldn't keep the score difference out of his head. (he gave up 45 balls in a race to 125 for a dollar a point difference in the final score, he lost 125 to 90.

Its always a pleasure testing your game against a better player. Or, continuing to test against those close to your skill level. That's what this game is all about, IMO.

pooljunkie73
06-17-2003, 12:41 PM
I don;t think it's pressure.I think it cause's me to focus completely on the game,like in a tournament. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Pressure is when you don't have any money in your pocket when you are playing for cash. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nightstalker
06-17-2003, 12:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooljunkie73:</font><hr> I don;t think it's pressure.I think it cause's me to focus completely on the game,like in a tournament. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Pressure is when you don't have any money in your pocket when you are playing for cash. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Yeah that is pressure! Haha, playing for something other than fun just causes me to focus more, which never hurts. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

tateuts
06-17-2003, 01:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Tell me money players, if there's no alteration to the internal attitude, then what's the reason for putting money out on the table to begin with? <hr /></blockquote>

Sid,

You are right. Playing for "fun" is like kissing on the cheek.

I enjoy playing pool. I have to wager to get good competition and to make sure we are both trying our damndest to win.

I make it a point not to gamble with someone who does not have a reasonable chance of beating me. I will not take a guys last few dollars either, even if I've already won it.

But honestly, I will never bet enough to sweat over. If someone thinks there's good to that, I would sure like to know about it.

Chris

cheesemouse
06-17-2003, 02:27 PM
Sid,
When I started playing pool there were no tournaments, no leagues and the only way to get competition was to get on the money tables; ring games, pill pool and golf. I am hard wired to have something, anything on the game before I can feel IT! Now that there are lots of tournaments and league pool to keep me occuppied I have to remind myself to play hard or I will goof off cause I don't have cash bet...to have a wager is a natural state of my pool being..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I once played a guy for his shoe laces......hehehehe

snook
06-17-2003, 03:34 PM
i'm the same way, ive always played with my old man, my gramps, and their pool buddies. and they ALWAYS play for money, wether its golf, pea pool, nine ball, or 3 ball. so to me i'm used to money but i dont play differently either way. we always play for quarters too, except 3 ball for a buck. unless its just me and a 20 year old guy i shoot with alot (im 16) then its normally 20 a rack in 14.1 with on spot, i've yet to lose to him but he always thinks he can beat me. i would feel bad for it but he names the price and i know he's got the money to lose so i keep playing him. were pretty good friends though and never really care about the money

06-17-2003, 07:49 PM
Dear Sid, excuse me son, but have you ever done a post where you do not talk about or glamorize gambling. There is another life out side of your dark inner world of losers, drunks, gamblers and druggies. You need to take some lessons from Scott Lee, lose your T shirt, go buy some real shirts with collars, enter some real tournaments and learn the joy of playing for tin cups.

There is more honor in winning a $20 tin cup than winning a $20 gambling match. Grow up son, look around, gambling is not the answer, it's becoming a winner of tournaments that gets you real respect. Gamblers are always looked down on.
The Ice Mon

HalSmith
06-18-2003, 04:07 AM
Sid, I have a lot of fun playing one pocket for nothing and the price is right to try new shots or just to see what will happen with a certain lay of the balls on the table. We play alot of scotch doubles and it is probably the best times, with all the sharking and laughs. But that said I think to take your game to the next level you have to have something riding on every shot you make. Gambling does that , it makes you play a different game . You are more aware of all aspects of a shot . Where this ball will move to , where the cue will end up, what can your oppndent have for a shot, where will he be able to leave you. As someone earlier said your focus has to jump up several notches.----Smitty

Predator314
06-18-2003, 06:27 AM
When I practice, I usually get approached by one of the guys at the lodge to play some. Most of these guys can't shoot a lick and I usually decline telling them that I'm just doing some drills and practicing up for a tournament or something. When I do feel like getting a little competition. I try to pretend I'm playing these guys for money. I do my best to keep them from coming to the table. It sometimes pisses them off when I play safe, but I just tell them that I'm practicing and I need to practice that stuff.

Anonamus
06-18-2003, 07:30 AM
I liked to gamble because it develops my nerves, develops my concentration skills and reinforces my mistakes. When I miss for money or take the wrong shot it sticks in my head and I try to practise it later to make sure I don't do it again.

Sid, I think the people that say they have to forget about the money so they don't choke are really saying they have to focus on their game and not play scared. To me that is the same thing as developing your nerves.

Tournaments can do this too, but playing for cash is a lot easier. You can show up when you want, leave when you want, play as long as you want and play different games. One thing that is hard for me to do when I play league or tournaments is to get into a rhythm. The short sets and all the waiting in between slows me down.

GNA, could you imagine if all the people who liked to play poker only played in the wonderful world of tournaments and never played for cash? I think you are confusing the seediness of pool halls with the act of gambling. Just because there are losers, drunks, druggies and hustlers at the PH doesn't mean you have to play them.

bolo
06-18-2003, 07:51 AM
I think anytime you are playing and doing things, shooting shots, you would not do under pressure, or if it was going to cost you something, you may be kidding yourself about your level you play. That may be the beef a lot of money players have with fun players. every room has a lot of good fun players, but very few real players, the players that will put their money where their mouth is. These don't have to be the best players around, just players that have the confidence in their play to put it to the test. i am just as happy playing for fun as for money, but I don't kid myself about the difference. I learned my lesson playing poker. I found myself folding winning hands when it was going to cost me a $1000. to stay in stead of $20. I learned no matter how well I thought I knew the game, I was not really any kind of poker player, same with pool in my opinion. You have to play for real sometimes to see what kind of player you are. A lot of fun players may not like the answer.

HalSmith
06-18-2003, 09:09 AM
Bolo, are you saying that there are not times when you are playing for fun that you don't try a shot when it presents itself that you have passed up for money because you really would like to see if your plan for that shot would work out. That is what I'm talking about. If it turns out that my plans sucks well I won't do that shot for money, I'll play safe. But thats just my opinion, like I said the price is right to try shots.---Smitty

bolo
06-18-2003, 09:26 AM
No, not at all, that is why they call it practice. But if I get out from the end rail and run three or four racks in a way I would not do it for real, making unlikely shots. I would not bragg about it because I would not have shot some of the low % shots if it was going to cost me. I just don't want to be fooling myself. Most players have a good freewheel but know it is not how they really play.

bolo
06-18-2003, 10:06 AM
Most good tournament players have a gackground as money players. I personaly get a lot more satisfaction playing a hard played 10 hour match against an equal player, then winning a double elimination tournament because I got a lucky draw and won a few key hill hill matches. The real respected players are the hard nosed tough players who put it out there. They are the ones people stay at the poolroom all night watching and get to work late the next day. I don't know where you play but where I come from the respected players are the money players. You can't get people to pay $5.00 to watch a tournament match.

Qtec
06-18-2003, 11:22 AM
Sid ,
I think to get used to pressure you have to play for money .It doesnt have to be high stakes. Its the fact that you have something to lose thats important .
Q

Sid_Vicious
06-18-2003, 12:08 PM
I can scramble just about as hard for a buck as I can for twenty, but you know there is "a crowd" who simply can not stand the idea of losing money at pool, any money, and their emotions totally dominate them for betting on themselves in pool. Some of these same people will punch quarters in slot machines in Vegas, or lose at the blackjack tables, all statistically rigged to reward the house. Yet those same people won't find themselves as a good bet at something which they have direct control over(on the outcome.) I don't understand that mentality at all.

Seriously, be it a quarter or $20, putting just a little on yourself at pool makes you better in the long run,,,trick is to know your limit, and know when to stop...sid

Qtec
06-18-2003, 03:41 PM
I know exactly the type of people you mean . The difference is if they lose on the slots thats luck . they can handle that . If they lose on themselves then they have NO excuse .

I remember in a PH a chinese guy was playing pool and at the same time was throwing money in a slot machine.He lost $200. Didnt bother him at all . What i found amusing was
when it came to pay for the table he started complaining that he had to pay $2 an hour more because he was playing on a tournament table !

There is a difference between somebody who plays for money and a gambler .

'playing pool for money is not gambling , its a calculated risk '.

Q