PDA

View Full Version : 8 Ball B l H: Anywhere or Only In-The-Kitchen?

TomBrooklyn
03-29-2002, 10:41 AM
I think it was about ten years ago that the BCA ball-in-hand rule for 8 ball changed from being 'in-the-kitchen' to being 'anywhere-on-the-table'. However, I almost always see people playing only ball in hand in the kitchen.

Which way do you play it? Which way do you see others playing it?

Also, does anyone know exactly which issue of the BCA Rulebook that change took effect in?

Tom_In_Cincy
03-29-2002, 10:50 AM
It's been BIH for as long as the APA and BCA have been running leagues. Eary 80s.
The only exception is just after the break. You must play the cue from the kitchen. Otherwise, ball in hand.

Wally_in_Cincy
03-29-2002, 01:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> I think it was about ten years ago that the BCA ball-in-hand rule for 8 ball changed from being 'in-the-kitchen' to being 'anywhere-on-the-table'. However, I almost always see people playing only ball in hand in the kitchen.

Which way do you play it? Which way do you see others playing it?

Also, does anyone know exactly which issue of the BCA Rulebook that change took effect in? <hr></blockquote>

TB,

I'm sure you know this but, the people you see playing BIH in the kitchen are playing BRR (Barroom Rules). In almost every casual barbox game I have ever played that was the house rule. Am I understanding your question correctly?

TomBrooklyn
03-29-2002, 02:25 PM
There is a bar league in Brooklyn that I don't participate in but I know some folks that do. It's a Budwiser league, though, and I don't think it has anything to do with APA or TAP. I'm not sure what they do on league nights, but I've never seen BIH anywhere used in any bars even by the guys I know that play or have played in a league. In pool halls, 8-Ball is popular with the recreational playing crowd, though not very popular at all with more serious pool players around here; but as far as I've noticed with either crowds and with the admittedly rare pool hall 8-Ball I've played, no one is using BIH anywhere on the table.

I think part of the reason 8-Ball may not be that popular with the more serious pool players is that many think of it in terms of the simplified/dumbed down barroom rules that tends to discourage some of the strategy and finer points of the game. Does anyone here play 8 Ball regularly in pool halls?

Scott Lee
03-29-2002, 05:17 PM
Tom...I play 8-ball all the time in poolhalls all over the country, and imo MOST people are familiar with, and play standard b-i-h rules. In the bar it is a different story. Usually the question is "bar rules or league rules?" If they say league rules, that generally means they understand ball in hand anywhere on the table after a foul (except on the break).

Scott Lee

03-29-2002, 05:39 PM
I play 3 nights a week in different divisions of a bar league in Iowa- we do play ball in hand, and I've found that with the number of players in the league (about 200 now) the BIH has becomethe norm for daily play as well!

Wally_in_Cincy
03-30-2002, 10:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> I think part of the reason 8-Ball may not be that popular with the more serious pool players is that many think of it in terms of the simplified/dumbed down barroom rules that tends to discourage some of the strategy and finer points of the game. <hr></blockquote>

That's a good point. I never looked at it that way but you are probably right.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> Does anyone here play 8 Ball regularly in pool halls? <hr></blockquote>

I play 8-ball every chance I get but I prefer to play 14.1. Our local pool hall SnookerS has a weekly 8-ball tourney and BCA 8-ball league.

cheesemouse
03-30-2002, 10:50 AM
Wally,
8-ball lends itself to the coin-ops where the balls stay down. The more advance games, one-hole, 14.1, just can't be played on the bar tables. 8-ball has a reputation as an easy game but played properly it is a very demanding game. Look at what happened to Johny Archer at the Valley.

Tom_In_Cincy
03-30-2002, 08:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: cheesemouse:</font><hr> Wally,
The more advance games, one-hole, 14.1, just can't be played on the bar tables. 8-ball has a reputation as an easy game <hr></blockquote>
These games have been played on bar boxes. Its just not done as often as in a pool hall, where there are more than two tables. 8 ball is just an easy game to learn on a bar box, its not an easy game to master.. just like the others you mentioned. I never under-estimate a good bar box player. 8 or 9 foot tables are just bigger, the games remain the same..

TomBrooklyn
04-22-2002, 08:24 PM
Subject: 8-ball rule: Ball in hand anywhere on the table vs. behind the head string. When did this become the rule?
Hi: When did the penalty for a foul in 8 ball become change from ball-in-hand behind the headstring to ball-in-hand anywhere on the table? Thank you.

Tom,
It was changed in the BCA rulebook sometime during the 80s. It was first used in a major national amateur tournament in Las Vegas, the Miller lite World Series of Pool in 1981 or 1982; found to be a very efficient and equitable way to handle penalties in 8-ball and 9-ball; and adopted in official rules by the BCA soon thereafter.

John L.
National League &amp; Program Director
Billiard Congress of America